Alpha Video Training

Thread: <tbl>.fetch_find() and goto()

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

Default <tbl>.fetch_find() and goto()

The following is a quote from the chm.

"If <TBL>.FETCH_FIND() is successful, the found record is retrieved and its Record_Number is returned. If no exact match is found, a negative number corresponding to the record number of the closest matching record is returned."

I know that the correct record will be displayed on a form if the exact search date is found. And that it will bring up the 'first' exact match in the table according to the index sort order.

BUT:

My problem is with "closest matching record". Does that mean the next date in order in the table?

If 'fetch_find' is asked to find a date and there is no exact date to match, in the table being searched; am I correct in assuming that it will find the next date in order (regular or inverted sequencing) and return that record number as a negative value. eg if rec # 456 is the next record after the search value then -456 would be returned.????? By using a trap method to catch the negative number, and then by using '<tbl>.fetch_goto(456)'; I can then get to that record.

D

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I just tested it and that is what I observed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dik_coleman
    The following is a quote from the chm.

"If <TBL>.FETCH_FIND() is successful, the found record is retrieved and its Record_Number is returned. If no exact match is found, a negative number corresponding to the record number of the closest matching record is returned."

I know that the correct record will be displayed on a form if the exact search date is found. And that it will bring up the 'first' exact match in the table according to the index sort order.

BUT:

My problem is with "closest matching record". Does that mean the next date in order in the table?

If 'fetch_find' is asked to find a date and there is no exact date to match, in the table being searched; am I correct in assuming that it will find the next date in order (regular or inverted sequencing) and return that record number as a negative value. eg if rec # 456 is the next record after the search value then -456 would be returned.????? By using a trap method to catch the negative number, and then by using '<tbl>.fetch_goto(456)'; I can then get to that record.

D

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

Ok, that's what I thought too.

Try to run the script in the enclosed zip.
    No matter what date you enter (on correct weekday) it goes to the first record and the recno() is 1 not -1.
    Trapping for negative rec # does not work ----IN MY SCRIPT...

Does that mean I have it right--- by no means, I could have many errors ..

Just need an answer so I can trap for 'not correct' records.

D

forget it for now -- found the problem -- just a stupid mistake
    D
    Last edited by dik_coleman; 03-24-2006 at 01:49 PM.