Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Setting Index, Sort Order on Browse vs Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Index, Sort Order on Browse vs Report

Can anyone explain why I get a different sort order in an embedded browse and a report using the same index.

I have a table with two dates and several numeric fields.
    Setting the index to :invert(date # 1) on the embedded browse results in the sort order of: rec # 59 to rec # 1

Setting the same index on a report results in a 'crazy' sort order.
    The order is: rec # 45 to rec # 59, then rec # 30 to rec # 44, then rec # 16 to rec # 29 and finally rec # 1 to rec # 15

In each group, the date used as the index is the same. ie rec #1 to rec # 15 have the same date, 16 thru 29 have the same date, but different than the previous group; etc, etc.

Makes trying to 'debug' how a script is accessing the records just a bit difficult. Using the date in recs 1-15 as the basis for a 'fetch_find' results in going to record # 15. Looking at the report, it appears that the 'find' has gone to the last record in the sort order; when it has actually accessed the 15th record from the end.

Probably not an earth shattering problem, but I'm kinda curious why this happens.

D

PS
    If you change the index to invert(recno()); you get exactly the same result as above

D
    Last edited by dik_coleman; 03-28-2006, 08:00 AM.

Good morning, Dick. It sounds as though your report is presenting the groups in descending order, but the details within each group in ascending order.

-- tom

Comment

OK thanx for tip
      Will look at the chm on report groups...

thanx again
      D

Comment

This is a follow up report on the topic.

First, the report has no 'formal' groups. The sort order is set at invert(date).
        Second, anything else that I try (as far as sort order, setting the index, etc) only ends up by destroying the date sort order.
        The report setup (apparently) will not react to 'invert(recno())'. This results in a sort order of 1, 10, 11, 12......2, 20, 21......etc. or just 1 thru 59....
        I have no idea why????

So it looks like I will have to live with the date grouped together and the records for that date listed in ascending order.

This will work for me (as long as nothing changes) and I can test for the correct date using a 'fetch_next()'.

At this point, I don't see any additional problems

D

Comment

zip attached

I know everyone has alot to do but if anyone can explain how the attached table can be printed out in reverse record numbers using the first_date as the sort order; it would be appreciated.

table has two dates in each record.
          table has several records with the identical dates.
          sort order is based on the first date in descending order

in larger tables with more records, the same thing happens each time the first date is changed, inside each date group the record order is ascending.

If there is no way to accomplish 'my task' - I just need to know that.

thanx
          D

Comment

use decending order

If I am understanding you correctly. You need to tell the report what to do. Also the report in your zip file has no grouping in it.

Open up your report in design mode.

Pick: Report/Properties/Detail Properties

Records tab: Order expression........pick what field or fields to sort on
            select ascending/descending order

Regards Ed

Comment

Dick, the difficulty for me is understanding your goal. I've read the thread several times and remain confused.

Do you want the records sorted by record number, descending?
              Do you want the records sorted by a date field, descending (as your first post says)?
              Do you want the records sorted first by the date field (descending) and then by record number (ascending)?
              Do you want the records sorted first by the date field (descending) and then by record number (descending)?

-- tom

Comment

Example

Dick,

If you want the details sorted first by the First_date field, descending, and then in cases where the date field value is the same you want to sort by record number, descending, here's an example.

I get the same sort sequence in your form if I embed the following ordering expression there:
                Code:
                invert(cdate(First_date))+invert(str(recno(),19,5))
                -- tom
                Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 03-30-2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Tom,
                  OK, I'm impressed. I spend 3 days trying to get the result you got.

I had no problem with the embedded browse, the order was exactly as I wanted - dates grouped together, descending and then descending record number order within the groups. That probably put me in a 'tunnel vision' frame of mind, since nothing but setting the index was required.

My problem stems from the fact that I did not consider each date (with multiple entries) as a group. I was only 'thinking' at the record level.

I did not think that a group break was required to achieve the necessary results.

It's been a long day, so I'll dig into your solution in the am. At this point, I'm not sure that I understand why the solution works, but that will probably come with a little study.

My sincere thanks for your patience and your help.

D

Comment

Dick, a group break is not required. It's just the approach that seemed easiest to me. If you do not want to use the group break just use the sort order:

invert(cdate(First_date))+invert(str(recno(),19,5))
                    and do not check the "descending" option, leave it "ascending".

-- tom

Comment

OK, I'm good at copying..... so it works!!!!

Now, I still don't know why it works, and I seemed to have missed the part that says the variables have to be 'character' when being used in the expression builder....

and to seem even more 'dense', what are the numbers 19 and 5 for????

I've been going thru manuals for two days and cannot find anything that even remotely looks like the answer you gave me.

Point me towards the part of the manuals that cover what you did, please

D

Comment

I think the section called "Overview: Functions & Expressions" is essential. Especially the subsections dealing with "what is a filter expression", and "writing filter expressions", and "what is an order expression".

Here, your "First_date" field is a "date" data type, while the record numbers assigned by Alpha Five to each record are "numeric" data types. Your requirements specified that you want Alpha Five to sort the records in order first by "first_date" (descending), then by "record number" (descending). This told me that we need to create a compound sort key for Alpha Five to use in ordering the records. i.e. We need to write an expression which contains both "First_date" (descending) and "record number" (descending) components. The ONLY way to do this is convert them both to a character strings so they can be concatenated together to create a single sort sequence "key" that can be compared with other similar keys for each record being sorted.

Consider the simpler case:

"Cone" + "Tom"
                        "Cone" + "Ron"
                        "Cone" + "Joe"

If I use a Last + First order expression I get sort keys like this:

"ConeTom"
                        "ConeRon"
                        "ConeJoe"

Which Alpha can quickly sort:

"ConeJoe"
                        "ConeRon"
                        "ConeTom"

Piece of cake.

In your case your requirement mandates use of a compound sort key, just like Last + First, but you can't use the "+" operator to concatenate a date type field value with a numeric record number. Mixing data types is NOT allowed in an expression.

So I convert them to character strings so I CAN concatenate the values to create the desired compound sort key.

cdate(first_date) + str(recno())

(The 19 and 5 were supplied by Alpha Five automatically when I built the expression in the report editor. Numeric data types are limited to 19 digits, 5 of which can be decimal. These are max values. There can't be any record numbers longer / wider than this).

Now, in your case if we stopped with
                        cdate(first_date) + str(recno())
                        your records would be sorted first by First_date (ascending) and then by record number. The keys would look like this:

"20060308_________1"
                        "20060308_________2"
                        "20060308_________3"
                        "20060322_________4"
                        Why the gap between the date and record number? Well, the str() function returns the numeric as a string that's 10 wide by default. It pads the number with leading blanks to create the 10 wide character string equivalent for each number. Alpha's use of the optional 19,5 parameters in the STR() function assures that record numbers that up to 14 digits could be handled. Since the table can't have more than about 2 billion records, and 2 billion requires 10 digits, the optional 19 and 5 parameters are probably unnecessary.

In any event these compound sort keys, now expressed as a character string, can be easily sorted by Alpha Five.

But, you wanted them in descending order, so I supplied the invert() function to wrap both components of the compound key. And, voila, you have a working sort order expression:

invert(cdate(first_date)) + invert(str(recno()))
                        In many cases you will want to trim off the leading blanks when dealing with the STR() function.
                        "_________1"
                        is not nearly as handy as "1" in many situations. However, it's worth noting here that this would be a BIG mistake. You do not want to trim the leading blanks because that will destroy the desired sort sequence.

Consider the case of record numbers 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, and 21.

An order expression of Invert(STR(recno())) produces this sequence:
                        "________21"
                        "________12"
                        "________11"
                        "________10"
                        "_________2"
                        "_________1"
                        This is what you wanted in the present situation. However, if you trimmed the leading blanks like this:

Invert(Ltrim(str(recno())))

You'd get:
                        "21"
                        "2"
                        "12"
                        "11"
                        "10"
                        "1"
                        This latter unfortunate arrangement is all too familiar to many of us, perhaps you've bumped into it before?

Hope this helps.

-- tom
                        Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 04-01-2006, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X