Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Data dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data dump

Hi,

I am trying to find a way of getting data in a .TXT file, that is in column format into a table in Alpha. ...can anyone help?

Sample of the data is:

Lincoln Property Services Ltd
    41 Hackthorn Road, Welton, Lincoln, LN2 3LY
    Tel: 01673 866466

Dickens Watts & Dade
    14, Ironmonger St, Stamford, Lincolnshire PE9 1PL
    Tel: 01780 765577

Belvoir Lettings (Lincoln)
    450, High St, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN5 8HZ
    Tel: 01522 544999

Belvoir Lettings (Bourne)
    25, Abbey Rd, Bourne, Lincolnshire PE10 9EF
    Tel: 01778 421981

a report

Design a report as indicated. Right click on the report name in the control panel, choose save as, select plain text.
    Originally posted by wood1e
    Hi,

I am trying to find a way of getting data in a .TXT file, that is in column format into a table in Alpha. ...can anyone help?

Sample of the data is:

Lincoln Property Services Ltd
    41 Hackthorn Road, Welton, Lincoln, LN2 3LY
    Tel: 01673 866466

Dickens Watts & Dade
    14, Ironmonger St, Stamford, Lincolnshire PE9 1PL
    Tel: 01780 765577

Belvoir Lettings (Lincoln)
    450, High St, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN5 8HZ
    Tel: 01522 544999

Belvoir Lettings (Bourne)
    25, Abbey Rd, Bourne, Lincolnshire PE10 9EF
    Tel: 01778 421981
    There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry what report are described?

I have the data in a .TXT file and I want to dump it into a table in the contacts management template databse.... :)

Comment

dyslexic, I suppose

My limited brain reversed what you stated you wanted. I was thinking of sending table data to a text dump.

Are all the entries in your text file structured like the example?

Always three lines, blank line, three more lines, blank line, etc....

I notice that in the first three lines the "street number" of the address is not followed by a comma while the other entries seem to have a comma there. Inconsistencies like that will cause problems.

How many fields in a table do you want to populate? Will the address go in one field or be separated?

Alpha has many character processing functions and the file methods will allow you to open and read the text file.

Just need to know the specifics.

Sorry what report are described?

I have the data in a .TXT file and I want to dump it into a table in the contacts management template databse.... :)
        There can be only one.

Comment

Alpha Five also has many List Processing Functions that will process a text list once it has been imported.

Comment

Oh right...:)

I am used to using Access, and i have just set up a company, not wanting to spend to much money, a friend told me about Alpha...hence the reason I was working on a field for each line of data. My data in the .TXT file is not consistent...let alone the commas. :)

BUt some addresses are as stated, but also:
            Dodgy company
            Dodgy House
            12 high Street
            Colchester
            Essex
            Co4 5rt

So some have additional line in their address...

As mentioned above, I could dump the data into one column(field) with this File Methods and still extract data, for letter prints (mail merge) labels adding customer notes?

Comment

You could import the data. line by line, into a table but that is just the beginning of your issues. If the data in the text file is not consistent then the data in the table will not be consistent.

You will not be able to extract address information for letters or other uses if you can't specify how the information is structured in the table and where to find each piece. It won't matter what database engine you use.

I suppose you could

create a table with, say, ten fields (as many fields as you might find related lines)
              use xbasic to open the table and start a new record
              use the file methods to read the text file and put the first non-empty line in the first field, second non-empty line in the second, etc
              when an empty line is encountered start a new record and repeat
              Oh right...:)

I am used to using Access, and i have just set up a company, not wanting to spend to much money, a friend told me about Alpha...hence the reason I was working on a field for each line of data. My data in the .TXT file is not consistent...let alone the commas. :)

BUt some addresses are as stated, but also:
              Dodgy company
              Dodgy House
              12 high Street
              Colchester
              Essex
              Co4 5rt

So some have additional line in their address...

As mentioned above, I could dump the data into one column(field) with this File Methods and still extract data, for letter prints (mail merge) labels adding customer notes?
              There can be only one.

Comment

Rob,

I would import the txt file into excel telling it that it is comma delimeted, then play around with it until you get the correct items for company name, street, town, city, county, post code and tel no etc under the right columns, then import to alpha. Bit of work but less than retyping everything.

If really stuck post txt file hear, or send it to me and will have a go for you.

Comment

Hi,

Rob

Do you have any option to get the data in a better format?
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD
                  Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                  Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

[QUOTE=wood1e]Hi,

Sample of the data is:

There is a pattern in your data and you may want to look at software from DataWatch called Monarch. I use the pro version to set up templates to extract data from text files that are otherwise not easily formatted. Monarch will allow you to set up a mask that can reformat the data (including namesplit functions). I just did a quick and dirty first pass and you can see on the attached the split I created. This file can be further refined by using the nsplit functionality and then saved as an excel file. The key in this process is in the template pattern you design to trap the data. They do have address type splitting built in but I just did a quick pass at it to show you a possible solution. The software has been invaluable in converting source text files that could not be otherwise easily formatted and has been a key piece of software I continue to use regularly.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X