Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need to string fields together for a report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to string fields together for a report

I'm very new to Alphafive. I just downloaded the 5.7 evaluation to see if I can create a very simple application. If it works for me, I will purchase it today.

I need to create a basic application that allows a user to enter required fields that are part of a police department news release jist like a blotter. After the fields are entered, they should be able to browse all press releases in the table, make changes or corrections to any press release and select any release(s) to be sent to an email address(s).

I created a database with one table. I created a form for the data entry and it worked on the 1st try. I was creating a report but got lost on that step. I think I need to create a window allowing the user to browse all press releases by (entry date or offense date) and allow them to be email and/or edited individually for corrections.

The press release needs to have all the fields concatenated together with specific words and/or commas inserted to make the data look as if it was a few paragraphs typed in as it would normally be. Unfortunately the user I'm writing this for cannot keep track of all the fields that need to be entered on a consistant basis.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony, everything you've mentioned can certainly be done. However, your last sentence bothers me:
    Unfortunately the user I'm writing this for cannot keep track of all the fields that need to be entered on a consistant basis.
    I'm not sure exactly what you meant by that but a database without structure is useless. If you can't define the structure, you might as well put it in a word processor and plan to do a lot of cutting and pasting.

I suspect that the reality is somewhere in between "well structured" and "no structure at all". You said you were new to A5 but I will assume you are also new to databases. If this is true, you may need to spend some time working with an experienced developer who can help you determine what type of structure to set up to best meet your needs. If you don't set up a good structure to start with, you will have nothing but trouble later on. There may be others on the message board who will be willing to help you figure it out but they will need more info about specifically what you have and what you are trying to accomplish.

Comment

Thanks for replying. here is the senerio that I need to provide a solution for.

I have a client that is a very small police department. They have one clerk who is not very computer literate, but she can follow directions if I spell it out for her and make sure she has prompts so she doesn't get ;lost along the way.

I do their website design, and hosting. They have requested I supply them with amn application allowing their clerk to do the following:

1. For each incident that occurs in their village, allow the client to enter a press release per incident. I expect about five to ten incidents per week.

2. As the press release is entered into the page, allow the clerk to save the press release (add a row in the press-release table).

3. The fields required are as follows: Last name, first name, address, city, state, date of offense, offense, location, narrative, court date, court room, bond amount.

4. Allow the clerk to review and correct the press release after it has been saved.

5. Allow the clierk to email the press releases to the appropriate recipiants.

6. Allow the clerk to browse all press releases (new and old) and print/email them as needed.

7. When it prints out, the fields should be printed in multiple paragraphs like this:

Smith, Joe, 35, of 100 Main St., Chicago was charged on March 25th, 2006 with DUI in the 5000 block of Madison Ave, Chicago, IL.

During a routine traffic stop, driver Smith admitted having multiple alcoholic beverages in the preceding hour. Felony charges were approved. Smith was given a court date of April 15th, 2006 at 9:00 AM in room 103. Bond was set at $5000.

8. Provide some method of data backup.

9. Provide some level of user signon into the application so only appropriate personnel have access to the application.

10. If possible, make this a network application (if they need it).

Let me know if this is possble in Alphafive v7 and if there is an application already written in Alphafive close to thiese specs.

Thanks,

Tony

Comment

Press Release App

Tony:

You can use a calculated field, or a combination of a few calcualted fields to create the press release text. Looking at the two examples you gave, you'd need to test for data in cetain logical (true/false) fields, like "admitted_guilt" or "part_of_traffic_stop". Then based on the various true/false conditions, the release would be worded a certain way, combining the "who, what, when, where" data from your table into coherent sentences...

Further, you could even create a few ways of saying the essentially the same thing, such as "During a routine traffic stop..." vs. "After being pulled over for a moving violation...". You could generate a random number process to randomly select one phrase vs. the other. That way, the release doesn't look exactly the same for all traffic stops, or all B & E events, etc.

Hope that helps...

Rich Kerr
        Last edited by richkerr; 03-30-2006, 09:40 PM.
        Rich Kerr
        http://www.richkerr.com
        [email protected]

Comment

To answer your question

Tony,

Yes A5V7 can do what you need. It is very powerful.

Second, are there applications out there? I would connect with Rich Harnett on this site. He is a police officer that presents as knowledgeable with A5, and appears to be developing Web based aplications using A5. He has a web site:

http://www.berwynheightspd.com

Here is a link to one of his posts.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ghlight=police

Good luck

Mike W
          Mike W

Comment

Working...
          X