Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Install Version Control for A5-v7 and beyond...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Version Control for A5-v7 and beyond...

Greetings,

Is there a method, short of literally running the alpha5.exe program (and going to Help->About) that you can find out what the patch level is of at least the RunTime programs?

Is there an OFFICIAL A5 distributed file that can be read by a 3rd party program where you can get the patch level (i.e. 3960-3018)?

Is there a way that you can run the alpha5.exe file, with a command-line option to get JUST the program version so that a 3rd party program can querry the runtime installation for that information? (Note: If this were to become a "wish-list" item, I would prefer that a text file be generated in the program folder, such as "a5ver.txt" and/or that an additional command line parameter could be used to give the path/filename where to write the file.)

Lastly, which specific file(s) have the Windows Properties version numbers to determine what the specific release version is of the RunTime?
    I do have the ability with the installer I use to put "system dependency checking" into the installer itself... but I need to know the specific files that should be checked.

Any help here would be most appreciated, as this problem refered to in another thread, although very well may have been caused totally by us, is a creditibility issue in my eyes and I want to prevent it from happening again if there is any way possible.

Thanx,
    Keith
    Keith Weatherhead
    Discus Data, Ltd
    [email protected]

Keith,

Version() will give you the info you want when with in A5.

I don't know if it is possible to get this info with out opening A5, but, what I do is add it to my install(3rd party) and place it in the registry. I could also make a txt file with this information in it and put it where ever.

Since I am the one making the install, I already know what version/ build of A5RT I am using, so its very easy for me to check my registry value(or txt file) and use it for "system dependency checking".

Scott

Comment

A5 Version Release Checking...

Scott, thanx for the reply. I agree with all that you said and I am aware of the Version() function. If such a feature exists I want to utilize it rather than add another layer. I could do both the ASCII text file (which I have now) and know I could put it in the Registry, which I am actually thinking of doing as I think I am going to, for other reasons, require Admin Privledge to install these apps to guanantee the ability to write to the Registry.

If I use the Dependency Module of the installer to automatically handle this checking, then I need to specify which files control the versioning process. This would better handle any .dlls involved and I could just tell the installer to scan all of the files and pick up their version numbers, but I am sure there is a reasonable scheme for determining this rather than brute force.

Lastly, I would like to eliminate one more place for human error if it is possible.

Thanx,
      Keith
      Keith Weatherhead
      Discus Data, Ltd
      [email protected]

Comment

Version Control

Scott,

Don't know if this will help, but...

in the registery, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Alpha Software, Alpha Five 7.0, BuildNumber data is 3960 and SystemAddins data is 3018.

Hope this helps.

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by davej
          Scott,

Don't know if this will help, but...

in the registery, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Alpha Software, Alpha Five 7.0, BuildNumber data is 3960 and SystemAddins data is 3018.

Hope this helps.

Dave
          Interesting, thanx Dave, Now the question is whether it is maintained seperately for the RunTime and for specific installations. I install our RunTime in a folder that is part of our application structure rather than the default folder of \Program Files\A5V7 Runtime...

If it maintains a seperate Registry tree for our installed copy then I am in business... if not, it could just get me into trouble. I will look into this !!

Thanx again,
          Keith
          Keith Weatherhead
          Discus Data, Ltd
          [email protected]

Comment

Version Control

Keith,

I fould the build number under another registry location.

HKEY_USERS, S-1-5-21-1004336348-839522115-106028498-1003, Software, Alpha Software, BuildNumber data is 3960 and SystemAddins data is 3018.

Dave
            Dave Jampole
            www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Keith,

Just a side note. Since I want to track MY application, which will include the runtime files, I make my own registry keys so I know that the information I retrieve is for MY application just in case the user has his own copy of A5.

My install creates a shortcut that points to my application folder which has the runtime files and then a subfolder which has the actual application files. If the user owns more then one of my applications, it becomes a subfolder of my applications folder. Doing it this way gives me full control of what is being used, and where to apply patches, ect.

Is this the best way? Maybe, maybe not, but its the way I do it and I haven't had a problem yet.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Emerick
                Keith,

Just a side note. Since I want to track MY application, which will include the runtime files, I make my own registry keys so I know that the information I retrieve is for MY application just in case the user has his own copy of A5.

My install creates a shortcut that points to my application folder which has the runtime files and then a subfolder which has the actual application files. If the user owns more then one of my applications, it becomes a subfolder of my applications folder. Doing it this way gives me full control of what is being used, and where to apply patches, ect.

Is this the best way? Maybe, maybe not, but its the way I do it and I haven't had a problem yet.

Scott
                Scott,

It sounds like we do this very much the same way. We put our application's copy of the RunTime in a folder in our distribution area. Our apps are then in parallel folder(s) in this distribution area. We are attempting to isolate what we do so as not to interfer with anything else that the user has on their system, including the possibility of another copy of A5 or a RunTime from another developer.

Regards,
                Keith
                Keith Weatherhead
                Discus Data, Ltd
                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X