Alpha Video Training

Thread: Programming a filtered dropdown search field above the grid

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Default Programming a filtered dropdown search field above the grid

Can it be done without doing it in a dialog? I was looking at Before Search events and putting filters in the a5w page, but haven't had any luck.

How cool would it be to have the equivalent of a cascading (filtered in this case with a session variable) pulldown in the built-in search above grids when the user wanted to find something?

I know you can hard code a filter with a constant but that isn't helpful for me at least.

Can this be done? Alpha?

Real Name
    Ron Leunis

Clint,

This code works for me:

Code:
    if eval_valid("session.org_id") ' session.org_id exists 
        if (session.org_id <> "") ' value exists
    		If (session.__protected__SecurityLevel <> 7)
    			tmpl.DBF.filter = "Organization_Id=\""+session.org_id+"\"" 
    			tmpl.SearchField_Info[1].DropDownBox.Filter = "Organization_Id=\""+session.org_id+"\""
    			tmpl.DetailField_Info[1].DropDownBox.Filter = "Organization_Id=\""+session.org_id+"\"" 
    		end if
        end if 
    end if

SearchField_Info[1] is your searchfield indexed by a number. You can lookup the number in the xbasic of your component. You insert the code in the a5w page which contains the component.

In my case I only display records of a certain organization where the logon user is attached to. Except when this user has security level =7. In which case this user can see and search all records for all organizations.

regards, Ron
    Last edited by rleunis; 04-08-2006 at 05:05 AM.

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by rleunis
    Clint,

This code works for me:

Code:
    if eval_valid("session.org_id") ' session.org_id exists 
        if (session.org_id <> "") ' value exists
    		If (session.__protected__SecurityLevel <> 7)
    			tmpl.DBF.filter = "Organization_Id=\""+session.org_id+"\"" 
    			tmpl.SearchField_Info[1].DropDownBox.Filter = "Organization_Id=\""+session.org_id+"\""
    			tmpl.DetailField_Info[1].DropDownBox.Filter = "Organization_Id=\""+session.org_id+"\"" 
    		end if
        end if 
    end if

SearchField_Info[1] is your searchfield indexed by a number. You can lookup the number in the xbasic of your component. You insert the code in the a5w page which contains the component.

In my case I only display records of a certain organization where the logon user is attached to. Except when this user has security level =7. In which case this user can see and search all records for all organizations.

regards, Ron

Thanks Ron, I'd like to try that. Would I put code like this in the same place I'd put code if I wanted to filter the grid or somewhere else?

I'll include a sample of the filtering I mentioned above.

Delete tmpl_GrdClassReview
    DIM tmpl_GrdClassReview as P
    tmpl_GrdClassReview = a5w_load_component("GrdClassReview")
    'Following code allows you to override settings in the saved component, and specify the component alias (componentName property).
    'Tip: Keep the componentName property short because this name is used in page URLs, and it will help keep the URLs short.
    'Each component on a page must have a unique alias (componentName property).
    with tmpl_GrdClassReview
    .dbf.filter = "Officenbr = " + s_quote(session.FromOffice)
    .field_info[1].DropDownBox.Filter = "Officenbr = " + s_quote(session.FromOffice)
    .field_info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = "Officenbr = " + s_quote(session.FromOffice)
    .field_info[8].DropDownBox.Filter = "Officenbr = " + s_quote(session.FromOffice)
    componentName = "GrdClassReview"
    end with

Thanks again

Real Name
    Ron Leunis

Clint,

Yes, place it same place as the DBF.filter in the webpage.
    Alpha Five webhelp give following example:

Code:
    with tmpl_Selected_Invoic
        componentName = "Selected_Invoic"
        DBF.filter = "userID = \"" + session.__protected__UserID + chr(34) 
        field_info[7].DropDownBox.Filter = "userID = \"" + session.__protected__UserID + chr(34)
    end with
    So I would place > componentName = "GrdClassReview" <
    right after > with tmpl_GrdClassReview< ... Because I am not sure if you leave it like this it will generate an error or not..

And if you have a grid with detailview and this detailview also contains a dropdown, then you can use the tmpl.DetailField_Info[1].DropDownBox.Filter.

You should be able to use this code also in Lookups but then in the override section of the lookup definition. But I did not give that a try yet. Maybe somebody else has experience with that?

good luck, Ron
    Last edited by rleunis; 04-09-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Former Alpha Employee Edward Larrabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

You can see another example in Filtering a Grid with a Session Variable.

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by rleunis
    Clint,

Yes, place it same place as the DBF.filter in the webpage.
    Alpha Five webhelp give following example:

Code:
    with tmpl_Selected_Invoic
        componentName = "Selected_Invoic"
        DBF.filter = "userID = \"" + session.__protected__UserID + chr(34) 
        field_info[7].DropDownBox.Filter = "userID = \"" + session.__protected__UserID + chr(34)
    end with
    So I would place > componentName = "GrdClassReview" <
    right after > with tmpl_GrdClassReview< ... Because I am not sure if you leave it like this it will generate an error or not..

And if you have a grid with detailview and this detailview also contains a dropdown, then you can use the tmpl.DetailField_Info[1].DropDownBox.Filter.

You should be able to use this code also in Lookups but then in the override section of the lookup definition. But I did not give that a try yet. Maybe somebody else has experience with that?

good luck, Ron
    Alpha's help didn't help because it doesn't reference search fields.

Here is my code below. It fails when run because it can't resolve the search field. The search field is correctly named as a review of the Xbasic shows.

Delete tmpl_GrdLGAudit
    DIM tmpl_GrdLGAudit as P
    tmpl_GrdLGAudit = a5w_load_component("GrdLGAudit")
    with tmpl_GrdLGAudit
    componentName = "GrdLGAudit"
    if eval_valid("session.FromOffice") ' session.org_id exists
    tmpl.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = "Officenbr = \"" + session.FromOffice + chr(34)
    end if
    end with

Do you have an example where you modify a search pulldown that is complete so I can compare it to what I'm doing? Does Alpha?

Thanks, I feel I'm close and an example showing the concept in use would really help me identify my error. Thanks Ron, Thanks Alpha

Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

Code:
    Delete tmpl_GrdLGAudit
    DIM tmpl_GrdLGAudit as P
    with tmpl_GrdLGAudit
            tmpl.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = "Officenbr = \"" +  session.FromOffice + chr(34)
        end if
    end with
    The bolded code is causing a problem. Remove it. You are saying: "tmpl_GrdLGAudit.tmpl.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = " and should be saying "tmpl_GrdLGAudit.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = ".

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Larrabee
    Code:
    Delete tmpl_GrdLGAudit
    DIM tmpl_GrdLGAudit as P
    with tmpl_GrdLGAudit
            tmpl.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = "Officenbr = \"" +  session.FromOffice + chr(34)
        end if
    end with
    The bolded code is causing a problem. Remove it. You are saying: "tmpl_GrdLGAudit.tmpl.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = " and should be saying "tmpl_GrdLGAudit.SearchField_Info[2].DropDownBox.Filter = ".
    Wow, that did it. I greatly appreciate your and Ron's assistance.

Will Alpha will include help elaborating web related modification of grid defaults (like this for *search* fields above) in it's helpfiles in the near future?

I'm also really looking forward to clearer help files indicating which platform (Web vs Desktop) functions relate to. I think everyone would be able to program with less problems if there were clean examples of each function and designation of its Web vs Desktop usage.

Perhaps you could break the help into a Web section and one for Desktop like you do in the forum?

Thanks again

Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

Functions and methods that are inappropriate in web applications are those that display messages or dialog boxes. In other cases where functions or methods are incompatible, I am documenting them as they turn up.

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Larrabee
    Functions and methods that are inappropriate in web applications are those that display messages or dialog boxes. In other cases where functions or methods are incompatible, I am documenting them as they turn up.
    While I understand what you've written above "applications are those that display messages or dialog boxes" "are inappropriate in web applications", how would a new user know that?

Wouldn't it be better for Alpha to do what Alpha does in the forums (where we are now), break into sections for Desktop versus Web, functions that only work in Desktop and functions that only work on the WAS. Those that work in both would be included in both.

How can this not be the best way to represent the complexity of the code in the help file? Other than it taking Alpha some effort to segregate the help meaningfully for their paying customer base, what reason would there be *not* to do that way?

Again, I thank Alpha for assisting this customer.

(Hmm, I'm talking about myself in the 3rd person, that's just wrong ;) ).

Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

You can easily tell which functions or methods display messages or dialogs by checking the help files. At least 90 percent of Xbasic functions and methods are usable in both desktop and web applications.