Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgrade A4V7 to A4V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade A4V7 to A4V8

I've had real problems with Alpha4 upgrades in the past. I am running XP Pro and I would like to get the email capability of V8. Can I expect to install V8 and everything will work seamlessly without problems other than having to setup the email application? I see I have file in a folder Alpha4 and I have files in a folder Alpha4V7. Seems to use way more disc than just a fresh install would. Is that normal, or didn't the upgrade delete some old files. I tried to deleve the Alpha4 folder but then Alpha4V7 wouldn't run properly.

Upgrading from A4V7 To A4V8

Grant,

A4V7 and A4V8 will both run on the same system with no problems whatsoever, IF they are each installed in their own folders. In your post, you mention that you deleted the 'Alpha4' folder, which leads me to assume that you might have installed both versions in the same folder. If I'm correct in that assumption, you're going to have serious problems!!

Let's assume both versions are installed on the same system, each in its own folder. The very next thing you should do is to copy the application folders that should exist under A4V7 and copy them to the same named folders under A4V8. That way, what you do with the copy of an application under V7 will not have any affect to the copy that resides under V8. If you make the mistake of editing the SAME copy of an application with BOTH V7 and V8, you are going to have problems at some point.

I have A4V6, V7, V8 and four versions of A5 coexisting on my system with no problems at all, since they are each in their own folder.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Alpha 4 version 3?!?

I just started working at a place that uses Alpha 4 version 3 for all their accounting needs. Unfortunatly the havd just upgraded their systems to Windows XP.
      Now their accounting is down for the count.
      Any suggestions?

Comment

Chaz,

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. Make a copy of everything in the A4V3 folder, then see if they can undo the Win XP install. If they can, get them back to DOS for the short term.

2. The options are to upgrade to A4V8 or A5V7. A4V8 will run under Win XP with no problems. What I don't know is if there are any compatability issues between V3 and V7 that will bite you (I only have V6, V7 & V8 of Alpha Four). I'm sure there are, but I just don't know how extensive they are. If the differences are just new functionality added by A4V7, you shouldn't have any problem; if the differences go deeper than that, who knows.

3. Upgrading to A5V7 would get you into the Windows world all the way around. The problems you face doing this are rewriting everything other than the .dbf (data) and .dbt (memo) files. Actually, I don't even know what the memo files were called in V3. All scripts, menues, forms, reports, etc. will have to be recreated. Not impossible, but it will take time and will present some 'interesting challenges' to you. The time involved is a direct function of the complexity of the application and your Alpha knowledge.

If I can help in this project, contact me.

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Chaz, I support our main materials application which is in A4v3. For other reasons and other integrated application I have not converted to A4v8. But nightly I copy all the database and support files over to a query version which runs off on v7 runtime. All the applications, forms, scripts, etc. all run fine with no problems.

The only issue you will have if you change any of the forms/browses, reports, field rules, etc in the v7; they are not backward compatible and you will not be able to open in v3. So, either continue to do all your developement work in v3 or switch completely.
          Dave

Comment

Dave,

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a runtime of A4V7, are you possibly talking about A5V7, per chance?

Dave
            Dave Jampole
            www.customalpha.com

Comment

Dave,

Sorry, I completely forgot about the runtime version of A4V7. Erase my previous post. Old age bites again.

Dave
              Dave Jampole
              www.customalpha.com

Comment

Alpha4V7 upgrade to V*

Well it's not a big surprise to me that I'm having problems with the upgrade to V8 from V7. I just did it and so far have the following complaints

1. My custom color layouts for the different databases are gone.
                2. My scripts are gone.
                3. The "Email External PDF" option is not there and that's what I bought the
                upgrade to get!

I downloaded the patches but that didn't help. Any ideas?

I like the Alpha software, but their upgrades really are pathetic!

Comment

Grant,

I have Alpha 4 V7, Alpha 4 V8 and Alpha 4 V6 (for that matter) on both my computers in seperate folders and have not had the problems you mentioned. Could you have possibly intermixed the two versions? Off the top of my head, that is the only thing I can think of that MIGHT cause any of the problems you are having.

Dave
                  Dave Jampole
                  www.customalpha.com

Comment

That is not the problem! Alpha4 doesn't pick up the paths for data in previous versions and you have to be knowledgeable enough to know how to fix it. I'm a couple of notches above novice and fumble my way along. The email problem is not something that I can fix. It's just missing!

Comment

Grant,

Excuse me for offering what I thought was a valid suggestion. Good luck in finding a solution.

Dave
                      Dave Jampole
                      www.customalpha.com

Comment

Dave:

I hope you're not insulted that I gave you a short and honest reply. I wasn't trying to be rude. I just didn't know what else to say. In looking at all the icons in the folder, I found an icon that is a "alpha" character and it's properties are 32 KB and it's an application. I clicked on it and it also opened up a version 8 application but with much different appearance. I went to the printer configuration and what to my suprise but there is the missing "External PDF" option. I closed that up and went back to the a4v8.exe icon and opened up the application and now the missing email option is there. Apparently this was a "patch" without any instructions to install it. Now I'm happier!

Now if only there was a way to print my reports that are setup in Typeset so I can have boxes in the PDF, but I don't think that's possible so I'll just have to create a new report for invoices.

Grant

Comment

Grant,

No problem.

Alpha 4 did not have patches as we know them in Alpha 5. There were updates that, if my memory is correct, were complete copies of the program with whatever updates/changes were appropriate, but would only install correctly if you had the correct previous version.

I kust checked and the version of A4V8 that I have is 8.0.0 and to the best of my knowledge is the latest version. My version does not include a PDF printer listed, you I cannot check that for you.

Dave
                          Dave Jampole
                          www.customalpha.com

Comment

Dave:

I'm completely disgusted with this upgrade! I've screwed around for about 9 hours with what should be a simple process IF they did their programming right.
                            I somehow managed to get the PDF printer to work but now it stopped again, and that prevents the external email PDF from working also. They use someone else's document converter and I have a feeling that is the problem. If it doesn't create the PDF nothing else can happen. I went to their website and they have newer software but I can't incorporate it into Alpha. If Alpha doesn't have a fix for this, I'm just going to return it. I have this same problem everytime I upgrade their program. It has never been simple and their documentation is lacking. This CD came with manuals for V4 and V6 and it's an upgrade from V7 to V8. Does that make any sense?

Grant

Comment

Upgrading from A4V7 To A4V8 PDF problem

After being able to generate a PDF a few times, it stopped working and after 6 hours of trying everything I can imagine, it still doesn't work anymore. It puts a file into a folder called SPOOL and stops there instead of proceeding to convert the file and display it. Needless to say, if it stops there it also inhibits the email PDF option. Talked to Alpha and they had not solution at this time. They really are more interested in supporting Alpha5 rather than Alpha4. Unless someone on this board knows the solution, I'm going to have to return the software.

Comment

Working...
                              X