Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

4 users - sharing single data store or synchronising ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 users - sharing single data store or synchronising ?

OK, this is the situation.

I've developed a 4 user system (there will never be more than 4 users) and delivered it to one of the uses running on a full license of Alpha Five V7.

I understand the many issues with potential problems in data sync and would like to know what your thoughts are on the most appropriate way of sharing the system between the four users.

They are running a simple peer to peer network through a router and one switch with no server in sight and no intention for the forseeable future of investing in one.

I have NO experience with the Alpha Runtime and, unless necessary, see no real reason to rework the system into a web interface to run it off the Alpha Web Server.

Even if I did do that, you need to keep in mind here that this is a simple network (three systems cable connected and one wirelessly) so one machine, which does other work besides, would have to also serve the web data to the other three and the best system onsite is currently a P4 2.5 GHz with 512mb of memory.

I'd briefly entertained wild thoughts of establishing a shared Access database which would be read to and from on record insertion/edits but discarded it for the obvious reasons.

I'd even considered a 'web query' type solution where information written to the database would be updated in real time to an online MySQL store and, well, then I woke up...

:o)

Thoughts would be appreciated here, but please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing of the Runtime/network solutions offered by Alpha.

FYI the system is used to generate quotes and track mortgage enquiries for property sale, purchase and remortgage, so we will never be talking vast amounts of data to throw around.

Hello "That would be me".

My first thought is that it will be rather expensive deploying copies of your application using full licenses of A5, that's what the Runtime is for. And besides, I don't want my users having a full copy of A5 and the ability to change anything they might like. It makes support rather more difficult.

A5 handles with aplomb networking for multiple users of the same database application. You need to read up on the subject of "Network Optimization" in the A5 help documentation. It's not terribly difficult. I developed a major 4-user application and left all the networking bits to last. But for a few glitches that have now been fixed it worked really well. The performance even over a modest 100 Mbps peer-to-peer network is amazingly good, and certainly a lot better than I expected.

So, go for it. If you don't mind a challenge and learning something new you won't be disappointed.

Comment

That was fast !

Thanks for the reply.

From the help file, (which I had read prior to posting here):

Configuring Network Optimization

1. Install the Alpha Five application on your server.

That's where I stopped and asked in this forum - step one indicates that a server environment is required.

Are you suggesting that you can emulate this by using a simple network share on one 'master' machine which the other computers access over the network through the router ?

The client has no intention of investing in a server anytime soon, but if the Runtime solution could work where one computer shares to the other 'slave' machines then I'll give it some serious thought.

Comment

Xunil, (what is your real name?)

last year we were running a very similar network to what you describe.

Pauls machine was the 'main machine' which connected to the internet via braodband.

Mine, Dave's and Helen's all were either wired or wirelessly connected to Pauls.

My machine had the full version of Alpha 5 on it for development, all the others had the runtime version.

The data was on Pauls machine which was for all intents and purposes a server. All worked fine.

We now have a dedicated server with 4 machines off of it. All is exactly the same, the only difference is-I don't have to turn Pauls machine on to work on the data as the server is always on.

Regards

Lance

Comment

Thanks Lance

My real name ?

Jed

Glad to know you.

Your situation seems almost identical to the current issue I'm faced with.

Would I be right in assuming that leaving a full version of Alpha Five V7 on the master PC would require that the three slave computers have a 3-user Runtime license ?

Sorry if this seems like basics - everything is easy, but only when you know how it's done...

I'm just thinking that I could leave the current full version where it is and use a 3-user Runtime on the other machines.

Comment

Hi Jed,

If this is for clients of yours, I wouldn't put the full version of alpha on any machine, just buy a 5 user version of runtime for yourself, then create an install package for your client using the full version, then give this to your client. Then all 4 will be able to use the application but not play around with designing anything (which is always dangerous)

Comment

Thanks again !

Thanks Lance

I'll put some careful thought into what you've suggested.

Another Alpha developer sometimes does work for them on a second (completely unrelated) system they have, and having one machine with a full version for onsite work could be useful, depsite the potential pitfalls of the client molesting the product.

Watch this space...

Comment

That would be me

When the help file says "Install the Alpha Five application on the server" it means, install your database there. It does NOT mean install the Alpha Five program files there. Your database needs to be in a shared folder on the server. Alpha Five does not.

In the typical setup your database is stored in a single folder on the server, and shared with each workstation. Each workstation runs its own copy of Alpha Five, either the full version or the runtime, against the shared data on the server.

-- tom

ps. please change your forum preferences so that we can know your actual name. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X