Alpha Video Training

Thread: Problem with SETs

Real Name
    Kev Gray

Default Problem with SETs

Hi all,
    Having solved my Report problem I am now encountering a problem in creating a set.
    When I try to add a link and define the neccessary settings I get another error message - "Could not create/edit link. it is possible that the child table was already opened in another session.............etc."
    The child table is most definately NOT open in another session. I have rebooted my machine and tried this with nothing else running.
    I have searched the forum and found similar problems with A5V6 but the resolutions refer mainly to versions. I have updated to A5V7 4023_3025 with no success.
    I am gradually losing the will to live !! Can anyone help please. The zipped database is attached.

Yours in Frustration
    Kev Gray

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by kevgray
    Hi all,
    Having solved my Report problem I am now encountering a problem in creating a set.
    When I try to add a link and define the neccessary settings I get another error message - "Could not create/edit link. it is possible that the child table was already opened in another session.............etc."
    The child table is most definately NOT open in another session. I have rebooted my machine and tried this with nothing else running.
    I have searched the forum and found similar problems with A5V6 but the resolutions refer mainly to versions. I have updated to A5V7 4023_3025 with no success.
    I am gradually losing the will to live !! Can anyone help please. The zipped database is attached.

Yours in Frustration
    Kev Gray
    You seem to have two issues, neither of which I understand.

Your child tables have no values in the linking field so there is nothing to link a record in the area table to the members table, etc. If I try to put values in, say the "area" field, the data entry does not work. I was able to create a new area table from scratch and enter data there and link to the members table. You may have some sort of data dictionary corruption in the child tables you created.

It is generally recommended that unless a field's contents are to be used in a calculation the field should be character type rather than numeric. This allows manipulation of subsets of data with common "digit"-al characteristics. Much easier to filter for

the single value above that has the "145" leading three characters than to filter for its value to be between 13999 and 14999. This would apply to your linking fields for area, club, grade, and memtype.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

In order to create a set the parent table and the child table(s) must have a common key. What common key(s) are you trying to use to link the tables into the set?

Also, I noticed you have an exponential/numeric field in each table. I think you'll want to change those to numeric or character before you proceed.

"Certified" Alphaholic Marcel Kollenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Marcel
    Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    ---- Confusius ----

Real Name
    Kev Gray

Thanks to all for helping me out. Once again it's those exponential/numeric data types causing the problem. All my data has been imported from Access databases. Is this data type the default when importing ? :)

Thanks again
    Kev