Alpha Video Training

Thread: "Enter must begin first" error message

Real Name
    Patricia J Frisch

Default "Enter must begin first" error message

How do I track down the cause of this error message: "Enter must begin first"? I have deleted forms and tables, and then recreated them, but I still cannot seem to find the cause of this error. I am using the database to calculate solution concentrations from various input values, and then store them so we have a history of the process. One of my tables is just a Lookup Table, no calculations involved, and I still get this error on the form. I have searched these threads, but can't find much to help. PJF

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

A useful starting point is to determine if the problem is in field rule scripts or in scripts in your form. Open the default form for the table or set which supports your custom data entry form. (The form giving you trouble.) Enter or change a few records to see if you get the same error. If you don't that's a good sign the field rule expressions and scripts are fine. It also means the trouble probably lies in scripts in your layout. On the other hand, if you hit trouble using the default form, that's a good indicator the fault lies in field rules. -- tom

Real Name
    Patricia J Frisch

I did make some default forms, and found the same problem. I looked again at my tables, but there really weren't any conditions on much of anything. Therefore, I went back to the forms. I think I finally figured it out. I had to open the Form, then click on the Change Icon. Now the error message doesn't occur. I have been trying the modal vs. modeless means of data entry and I think I toggled between them, and the database got out of whack. I am crossing my fingers that this is the final solution.