New call-to-action

Thread: Problem Sending email in V7 runtime

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

Default Problem Sending email in V7 runtime

I have an application that I created in V7. Was able to send email fine using alpha client. Have opened the app in runtime and now am getting an error saying cannot connect to SMTP server. Internet connection is fine. Alpha email settings are correct. I am able to send email without problems using my outlook program.

Must use the alpha client because html table and the alpha/default client interface does not support.

Error message from email settings test attached

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Try raising the timeout setting on the Advanced tab of your email profile.
    [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Aaron Brown
    Alpha Software Development Team[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

Aaron,
    I have upped the timeout from 5 second default to 30 seconds. Still same error. I can open the app in V7 full version and works fine. Also in runtime, when I open draft from file, sometimes the address header info does not pull in.

This runtime setup is really not working for me. Shouldn't an app be able to open in runtime and operate identically. That is what you advertise.

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

It should and, in fact, there is not a single line of code different between the runtime and full version with regards to sending email.

Are both your runtime and your full version authorized to access the Internet via your personal firewall?

Are both your runtime and full version patched to the same version?

Quote Originally Posted by gregclifford
    Aaron,
    I have upped the timeout from 5 second default to 30 seconds. Still same error. I can open the app in V7 full version and works fine. Also in runtime, when I open draft from file, sometimes the address header info does not pull in.

This runtime setup is really not working for me. Shouldn't an app be able to open in runtime and operate identically. That is what you advertise.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

presumably you know this, but just in case, you do know that you have to manually set the "settings" on **every** workstation. At least as far as I understand it. The settings are in the registry of the workstation, as I understand it.

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole
    presumably you know this, but just in case, you do know that you have to manually set the "settings" on **every** workstation. At least as far as I understand it. The settings are in the registry of the workstation, as I understand it.
    That is correct.

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

When you gentlemen refer to the registry of the workstation, is that the Windows registry or the Alpha5 settings registry?

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

I just installed runtime from a download purchase 2 days ago - and did not run any updates. I have just opened runtime with no database, yet I cannot find an option to search for updates.

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

When you gentlemen refer to the registry of the workstation, is that the Windows registry or the Alpha5 settings registry?
    There is only one registry, the Windows registry. Most Alpha Five settings are stored in the Windows Registry.

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

On the help menu of the full version, choose "Check for New Version." You can download the runtime and the full version patches from there.

I just installed runtime from a download purchase 2 days ago - and did not run any updates. I have just opened runtime with no database, yet I cannot find an option to search for updates.

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

Quote Originally Posted by AaronBBrown
    There is only one registry, the Windows registry. Most Alpha Five settings are stored in the Windows Registry.
    I am able to get in to edit the registry, but can you tell me where I would find these settings. I looked and could not find it

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Aaron, as I recall there was once some chatter about this, regarding using maybe xbasic to update the registry for workstations. Although it would be tricky, do you think it would ever be possible. One thing that might make it impossible, would be "passwords", etc.

Fortunately, I only have one client who uses email, but it took me a few to setup each one (they have 15 workstations.) Also, all workstations would not work with the same email settings, (disregarding passwords,) and I had to just keep fiddling until I got each workstation to work. But once it worked, it is very reliable.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

you don't need to edit the registry - just go to settings for the workstation for the runtime, and keep changing and retesting until you get it to work - it automatically updates the rgistry

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Aaron, as I recall there was once some chatter about this, regarding using maybe xbasic to update the registry for workstations. Although it would be tricky, do you think it would ever be possible. One thing that might make it impossible, would be "passwords", etc.

Fortunately, I only have one client who uses email, but it took me a few to setup each one (they have 15 workstations.) Also, all workstations would not work with the same email settings, (disregarding passwords,) and I had to just keep fiddling until I got each workstation to work. But once it worked, it is very reliable.
    You can use email_profile_save() and email_profile_load() to set the email profile properties via xbasic.
    Last edited by AaronBBrown; 05-04-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

Thanks, Martin. I appreciate your veteran's assistance to a newbie end-user.

you don't need to edit the registry - just go to settings for the workstation for the runtime, and keep changing and retesting until you get it to work - it automatically updates the rgistry

Real Name
    Greg Clifford

Quote Originally Posted by AaronBBrown
    It should and, in fact, there is not a single line of code different between the runtime and full version with regards to sending email.

Are both your runtime and your full version authorized to access the Internet via your personal firewall?

Are both your runtime and full version patched to the same version?
    Aaron - I installed patches for both versions, added both programs to my firewall exception list (even though I hadn't gotten any "blocked" messages) and still no luck. Then the full version started getting errors too.

Upped my timeout to a full minute and it finally started working, albeit slowly. I don't know why this is happening, but thanks for the tips. Its a big relief to know it's not runtime causing the trouble in this instance.

I am still having an issue when I try to open a draft email that has been saved as text file. Sometimes it brings in the address headers, sometimes not. I just brought in 3 files. Oddly enough the first came in first try. The second took 2 tries and the 3rd took 3 tries. That is coincidence, but the problem is very real. Any ideas from your bag of tricks?