Alpha Video Training

Thread: New Member wants Help for FORM

Real Name
    Yatrik Vyas

Default New Member wants Help for FORM

Hi everyone!

I know it could be stupid or boring question for many of you but believe me I have just registered my self with Alpha 5 and have only a few days of experience of it.

I have just started my First Project on Alpha5 V.7 and being stuck on FORMS.

Actually, I am making a stock maintenance database for my company and I have already made a table and Form to Enter the Coming Stock.

I have made a table with fields like: ProdNo ProdName ProDesc CostPrice Stock InsertedDate

I have also done a FORM to insert values through form.

Now, I wanted to search Products via Product ID or Product name or InsertedDate.

For starting I am searching from ProdNo.

Can anyone tell me how can get value from this text box and make query to find and display the results after pressing the Search Button.

To be very clear I want to run the query like:

Select * from Products where ProNo=1234

Please help me to solve this. At least someone can give me a small hint so I can search the Alpha Five Help and can get some clue.

Waiting for GREAT HELP and Thanking you in Advance.

YAVYAS

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Hi Yatrik,

The easiest way I know of is to add a button to your form from the toolbox. Then in the on-press event use the action script to 'Find/Locate' and then from that do a 'Find by Key' either standard or custom. That is the easiest way to navigate to a record that I can think of, others may have different suggestions.

Good Luck and don't be hesitant to post to this board with other questions or problems.

Bob Arbuthnot

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

Default Search

Here is a simple little code you can put on a button.

HTML Code:
    tbl=table.current()
    find_name=ui_get_text("Find Product by Nbr","Enter 2-3 Numbers of Product:")
    indx=tbl.index_primary_put("ProNo") <-Must create index for this
    tbl.fetch_find(find_name)
    parent.resynch()
    This works great on a browse, listing the exact or first find then anything close to it in the next rows in the browse. On a form will do the same but you have to navigate to find what you are looking for.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Yavyas,

Please let me help you understand this:

It is important that you understand the difference between a Field that is a Character Field and a Numeric field. ***** If the value of the Prod_ID is not going to undergo mathmatical functions such as add, subtract, multiply or divide, it is HIGHLY recomended this be a Character field. Why? You wrote this:

" how can get value from this text box and make query to find and display the results "

A "text box" (not a good Object to place a value to begin a search) will be a value that is a Character value. If your Pod_ID is a Numeric Value you will likely have problems searching a Numeric field with a Character expression. To convert a Character expression to a numeric expression you can use the Val() function. But if you don't have to have the Prod_ID be Numeric.... do not. Even with the Action script "Prompt For Number" the entry to this produces a Character value. And that variable will likely need to be converted to Numeric Value if the field you are searching is Numeric.

Bob is right that a script with a query is often easiest. Try the steps:

Action script:
    Make Get field value into variable, making sure the
    Query>Show All Records
    Query> Run Custom Query with the Filter Expression pointed to Prod_ID field

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

Default Prod_ID

Mike

"A "text box" (not a good Object to place a value to begin a search) will be a value that is a Character value. If your Pod_ID is a Numeric Value you will likely have problems searching a Numeric field with a Character expression. "

I deal with thousands of Product Numbers. If all Product Numbers were numeric then you would run into lots of problems. If you only had one Vendor supplying you with items then that might work, but using more than one Vendor and your Product Number would certainly need to be a unique number. Of course you could set up your own numeric numbers and cross ref them with the vendors character number (that would be alot of work) but to say a "text box" search is not a good object?? Numeric valves work in a character field, just can't add leading zero's.

Jerry

Former Alpha Employee Edward Larrabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

The confusion about numeric values (fields) in type-in boxes comes from not recognizing that there are 2 properties associated with the control.

controlname.text = the text that appears on the form
    controlname.value = a numeric value (if its a numeric field or calculated value)

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Try it

Jerry,

The concept regarding numbers and characters was not mine. It was a recommendation once presented by Stan Mathews. I listened and passed it on.

As for the Text Box thing... I retract what I wrote. While I have been under the misguided belief this synonymous with A5's Text Object (Form,Design Mode, Toolbox, Text, draw box), I'm now corrected to understand this synonymous with A5 terminology of Text Field. My bad. Thanks for straighting me out.

Mike