Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Undo update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undo update

I have a client with a button that prompts the user for a po # and a date shipped, the table is opened, filtered based on the po # entered by the user, and the date_out field is updated with the date shipped that the user entered.

They would now like an Undo button that would put the records back to where they were prior to running the update. Any ideas on what would be the most efficient way to accomplish this task?

Thanks
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire
    I have a client with a button that prompts the user for a po # and a date shipped, the table is opened, filtered based on the po # entered by the user, and the date_out field is updated with the date shipped that the user entered.

They would now like an Undo button that would put the records back to where they were prior to running the update. Any ideas on what would be the most efficient way to accomplish this task?

Thanks
    I'm assuming that they update records as shipped more than once a day so that you can't just have another button with the same coding that updates the date_out field to {} - empty date?
    There can be only one.

Comment

Cheryl

Begs the question, can they ship the same unit more than once. Because you did'nt mention a quantity perhaps this is a one time only. If so an update to blank x date would do it.

But somehow I think you know that, so I'll assume multiple ships are possible. If so than perhaps a transaction file by date could be kept for the purpose of backing out the ttransactions.

John

Comment

You assume correctly Stan. What they want the undo button to accomplish is to undo the last run update.
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl,
          Is this on a per record basis or on a per table basis? IOW do they want to only back out the update to a record or does the entire table need to be "un-updated"?

Comment

John,

As I understand it, the po cannot be shipped unless it is complete, so the po # would only be shipped one time.

I need to somehow store the last po # entered by the user and when they click the undo button it finds the last updated po# and then blanks out the ship_out field for all of the matching records.

The value is in a variable, however, I am not sure how that works if they run the update at the end of the day, and it is the next day before they realize they made a mistake.

Perhaps I could add some fields to the table that marks the date/time that the date_out field was last updated that only get populated via the update script. Then I could pull the most recent date/time and blank out those date_out fields?

Not sure this is the most efficient way or if there are even easier ways to accomplish the task.
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Ohlen,

This is on a per table basis. The PO # can appear in the table many times with multiple line items. When the update runs, it updates the date_out field for multiple records in the table that match the PO #.

I also thought about changing the update script to mark the records either before/after the update runs based on the filter. But I am not sure what to do in the update and then the undo, or if this would even work since records may get marked elsewhere in the application.
              Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl

You mentioned that the user may not recognize the need to undo, until later.
                Given that, would the last PO updated not be redundant? Many po's may have been processed in the interim.

How about a button to undo, which simply requests the PO # and blanks all date_out fields in the child records. I can't see any way you could programmatically determine what po needs updating unless it was the previous one.

John

Comment

John,

I believe what they are looking for is to update the last po that was updated. I just emailed my client with concerns about blanking out the date field based on the last update.

Let me ask this, if I get the client to agree to it, when the user presses the undo button, I load an xdialog that is autofilled with the last po # giving the 'proceed with undo' button focus ...... how would I programmatically fill that field with the last value?
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl

Quick & Dirty

Assume
                    1. The application will NOT be shut down prior to this undo being run.
                    2. Units are protected by UPS's.
                    3. If more than one person is updating po's it is the last po updated vs. the last po THIS person has updated.
                    4. This is NOT a CRITICAL requirement but a convenient one.

Last step in updating a po is to update a variable Var->Last_Po.
                    If undo is required:
                    Xdialog box as you suggested to display Var->Last_Po
                    Proceed ?
                    Undo

Not real comfortable with this as I suspect timing, transaction volume etc. could prove a major bug-a-boo.

ELSE (preferred)

Set up a transaction file (or use A5's built in audit file !) to track the last update.

xdialog to display trans record (descending date & time seq)
                    ? proceed
                    Undo

This would allow the user to select a different po, might be required due to above concerns. Sure the user has really thought this out?

Might this work for you.

John

PS. If more than one person is entering, suggest a panic alarm to alert all users not to process any po updates or the last po # won't be the right one. TIMING !!
                    Last edited by John Gamble; 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input John. It appears that the global update is doing more than I had originally anticipated. I will be having a conference with my client later this week to get further clarification of exactly what is needed, so consider this thread closed.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and input. These will be helpful when speaking with my client.
                      Cheryl
                      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Working...
                      X