Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Guidance needed- copy record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morning ken

yes i saw your other post and i expected that you are using the link to the detail section of the grid
    i would suggest that you might just add your own link to the DETAIL section
    and this will probably fix both problems

to do this
    1 - add a new calculated field to your detail view maybe - mytradelink= ""
    this will place it in the fields list
    2- in the details section choose this field to add to the detail section
    3- make this a "link" type control
    4- set the "display what in link" to static text and and make the text maybe - "make an offer" or whatever
    5- set the "link address type" to "computed from fields in the grid"
    6- set the link address to
    - Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?Swap Item View_filter=Item_no={Item_No}
    ( i am assuming that "Swap Item View" is the the name of the component right? and this is not really "Swap_Item_View")

this should give you the link you need without fooling with the link used by
    the grid component

just saw your last message and i think that what you say might reconfirm the above

btw are we still working to send a variable/value to a code page or have you changed horses on me?

martin
    regards

martin
    www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Error

After getting your response I thought I remembered doing that before- anyway... still got the message previously noted after making the links identical.

Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?Swap Item View_filter=Item_no={Item_No}

Error:

500 Internal Server Error
      Script Error
      Error:Script: /Swap_Items_All.a5w line:30
      x_Swap_Items_All = a5w_run_Component(tmpl_Swap_Items_All)
      Property is write only
      tempP.expn subelement not found.

It was working 2 days ago and now it doesn't. Makes little sense to me.

And yes I am still trying to capture this item and send to a table.

Ken

Comment

ken

did you give it a try to create your own link
        in the detail section?
        and remove any changes to the detail link?

if so did the error message go away?
        did the link work correctly?

martin
        regards

martin
        www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Link

I put in my own link- the one noted. Not sure what to delete as for changes. Here is the xbasic for that link

Code:
          .Fieldname = "OFFER"
          	.Scope = "Local"
          	.DisplayFormat = ""
          	.DisplayUnFormat = ""
          	.Type = "J"
          	.Varname = "OFFER"
          	.Column.LabelPosition = "Left"
          	.Controltype = "Link"
          	.link.InLineStyle = "color: #666699; font-variant: small-caps; font-weight: bolder;"
          	.link.DisplayType = "Static text"
          	.link.DisplayExpression = ""
          	.link.StaticText = "Offer Swap!"
          	.link.StaticImage = ""
          	.link.StaticImageInlineStyle = "border-style: none;"
          	.link.StaticImageAlt = ""
          	.link.AlternateImageControl = ""
          	.link.Type = "DetailView link"
          	.link.ComputedAddress = "Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?Swap Item View_filter=Item_no={Item_No}"
          	.Link.targetFrameOrWindow = "Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?Swap Item View_filter=Item_no={Item_No}"
          	.Link.ClearParameters = .f.
          	.Link.ScrollToDetailView = .t.
          	.BreakType = "None"
          	.nCols = 1
          	.Column.Hide = .f.
          	.Column.Heading = ""
          	.Column.Sort = "<No Sort>"
          It looks okay.

Ken

Comment

hi ken

the lines:
            .link.Type = "DetailView link"
            this should not be a detailview link -

.link.ComputedAddress = "Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?Swap Item View_filter=Item_no={Item_No}"

.Link.targetFrameOrWindow = "Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?Swap Item View_filter=Item_no={Item_No}"

the target should be something to tell the browser where to dispaly the link
            - ie new window the same window parent etc
            its in the dropdown on the component builder

the fastest way to fix what you have is

1) duplicate the old grid component to a new name --- save what you have
            2) remove the field from the grid for the link you previously created
            3) add a new link as i described in the previous post

this should get rid of your error message
            fire it up
            when you click the new link it should take you to Swap_Item_Detail.a5w?
            let me know
            martin
            regards

martin
            www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Working Again

Okay back on track. Thanks so far Martin.

Now onto capturing that item... I ran the test and it outputs the item being selected.

Ken

Comment

hi Ken
                glad you are on your way
                good luck
                regards
                martin
                regards

martin
                www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Last question (or 2)

To get back to the original reason for this post- do you know the syntax to grab that item and plop it into a different table?

Ken

Comment

May be easier way

Ken,

A5 offers a lookup function which displays a grid and allows a user to click on a select button and bring that data into another grid. All the heavy lifting is done for you.

So, build a table titled MyOffers and build a grid or a dialog with a lookup link. The lookup will be the grid with the available items in it. Map the available to to the offer, and you now have the table you need.

Pat
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Question

I created a blank table to be filled from the table with the items. No link ever shows to allow a user to select an item, actually no items come up, just a blank grid.

There must be a way to click on an item and have it copied to a table. there is some inference to it but I can't put my finger on how exactly to do it.

Ken

Comment

hi ken

pat is right you could accomplish what you want i believe
                        by using the lookup function

if you would rather i will walk you though this with your
                        original approach.

let me know
                        martin
                        regards

martin
                        www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Look up

I went and created a grid and made all the field look ups. I mapped from the original table to the desired destined table. But nothing ends up into the grid.

Amy I using the right funtion you are suggesting?

Ken

Comment

Lookup

I have it to the point that an item is pulled and displayed in a A5W page, but it appears I can't use the Lookup Function since that would work off the table I want to send the item's data to which does not have item in it yet to map. I tried and created a grid with this new table to pull from the main table but I get 'no records'.

There must be a way to take what is pulled on this page (filtered to one item) and dump that item's info into that new table.

If I am using the Lookup function incorrectly please let me know.

Ken

Comment

hi ken

i really cant help that much with the lookup function
                              i have never used it
                              but dont want to leave you in a lurch

if you want to retry the original method and have
                              30 minutes to work on it let me know and i will walk you through it again

martin
                              regards

martin
                              www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Original

I sure would. However it is most convenient for you. I feel I am very close but need to close the deal. I appreciate your assistance.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X