Alpha Video Training

Thread: data entry: Argument is incorrect data type

Real Name
    tiffany new

Default data entry: Argument is incorrect data type

Hello All,

I am converting my office from Alpha 3 and 4.7 to version 5. I am slowly picking it up, but I keep running into simple, but confusing problems...

1) Is it possible to query records that include symbols, like an account number with a dash or slash in it? I think I have it working through the query card. However, does anyone know if you can use the query wizard for this.

2) I am creating new forms and reposrts for the data using the old database records (from alpha 3 and 4) as my table/set. However, when I attempt to enter information into character fields or date fields, I get an Arguement is incorrect data type error? Any idea what is going on?

Thanks for the help.

-T. New

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by ten10ten
    1) Is it possible to query records that include symbols, like an account number with a dash or slash in it? I think I have it working through the query card. However, does anyone know if you can use the query wizard for this.
    I don't see a problem in the query genie with / or -. The \ character is a special character used to escape quotes so I think the genie is choking when it tries to parse the genie input into the underlying xbasic to run.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

2) I am creating new forms and reposrts for the data using the old database records (from alpha 3 and 4) as my table/set. However, when I attempt to enter information into character fields or date fields, I get an Arguement is incorrect data type error? Any idea what is going on?
    Can you attach a sample of your database or one of your tables where this is happening? Sounds odd.

Real Name
    tiffany new

Default what files do you need?

I am not sure what files you want me to upload. Do you just want a screen shot of the database, or do you want the actual database file?

Real Name
    tiffany new

Default Another issue

I am also trying to figure out how to copy the records from a query list into a new database so that they can be saved and changed independently of the first database. I have to reincorporate these into the original database at a later date, but I think I can do that by adding the table from the 2nd database back into the first one.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I am also trying to figure out how to copy the records from a query list into a new database so that they can be saved and changed independently of the first database. I have to reincorporate these into the original database at a later date, but I think I can do that by adding the table from the 2nd database back into the first one.
    "how to copy the records from a query list into a new database" - you probably want design a copy operation to accomplish this (you'll have to design a delete operation if you want to remove the copied records)

"reincorporate these into the original database at a later date" - an append operation will do this.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I am not sure what files you want me to upload. Do you just want a screen shot of the database, or do you want the actual database file?
    Best would be to zip up everything in the database directory and attach it.