Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

On the LAN: desktop vs web applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the LAN: desktop vs web applications

On a LAN, which is better, a runtime-based desktop application, or a WAS-based application? Which is better in terms of ease-of-development, functionality, speed, and user experience? Is it true that on the same system a desktop application outperforms a WAS-based application?
    Jim

The good thing about Alpha is that you don't have to choose just one or the other. You can use both in the same application. I use both in my home businesses. At home, I use the desktop because it is faster, easier to develop, and has more functionality. When I'm at a client, I log in on the web and have access to all the same functionality. If a customer has a question about my hours or expenses, I don't have to wait. Or, if I want to enter hours or expenses or mileage, I can do it from any browser, even if I'm in another state!

I developed the desktop version during V5 and then added the web stuff in V6 and V7, so I have a direct comparison of the same functions in both environments. They are different, but both have their place.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

On the LAN, the desktop model will outperform. Which is easier is a difficult question to answer. It is sometimes not possible to recreate the same functionality in the web that you can on desktop. The desktop has a far greater set of tools and objects you can deploy. For example, the attached graphic was created in the desktop environment; you could never build something as detailed as that in the web environment. My web equivalent to this form doesn't have as much detail and takes up significantly more real estate; and is slower as far as the user is concerned.

But building WAS web pages is completely easy once you get the hang of it. It gets a little more tricky when you need to filter what your user views, restrict various objects based on condition, etc. And, the WAS does not (for the most part) adhere to your Field Rules, so you have to recreate those in the WAS environment. You have to be more innovative in the web environment, and make use of additional technology like Javascript if you want to try to approach the level of speed and functionality in the desktop.

But seriously, both environments are great fun!
      Last edited by Steve Wood; 05-26-2006, 04:04 PM.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks, Pat, Steve, for your comments. Pat, I get your point about the convenience of having both environments possible with Alpha Five, and I appreciate it. But Steve addressed my question about Alpha Five on a LAN. I hope others will weigh in with their own comments about this.

Steve, that's a very nice form you've made there. I hope I can get something like that to work for me someday. I wonder if you could put up an image of your web equivalent to that form as well? One picture (or rather two) would be worth a thousand words in this case.
        Jim

Comment

Why post a picture when I can "post" the whole application? Just go to my website, then the Examples page and click the link next to wher it says "Try It Live". When you get to the login page, request a demo password. Then once you log in, go to the Your Account area and try all th options there. Those options represent the portion of my Customer List that I want the customers themselves to manage. I just finished the part under Document Preferences, so I'd like some feedback.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

It depends on the customer need

I have written both desktop and browser-based databases. Lately, my business has become almost exclusively browser-based. The main reason for this is flexibility. Just about everyone wants to be able to access their data remotely, especially if they have multiple offices. So rather than create what is essentially two databases (desktop and browser-based), I create one. It is just important to ask the right questions so you can best serve your clients. If someone only has one office and doesn't need remote access, go with the desktop. I have also noticed that for 5 or more users, the licensing pricing favors the WAS solution.

Howard
            Howard G. Cornett, Independent Consultant

Comment

Don't forget to look at Terminal Services....

It's a great way to combine remote access with the power of the deaktop version...
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks for joining this thread, Al and Howard.

I do appreciate that with browser-based applications there is the convenience of being able to access a database from computers that do not have a copy of Alpha Five. However, for a database with strictly defined access locations on a LAN, I am now getting the sense that a desktop application may offer more.

Excuse my ignorance, please, but what are terminal services? How does it differ from a networked application?
                Last edited by jmatienza; 05-28-2006, 09:55 PM.
                Jim

Comment

Jose

Terminal services is also known as remote desktop. The following links were found by searching microsoft.com for remote desktop.

Remote Desktop Overview

Getting Started with Remote Desktop

Remote Desktop FAQ
                  Last edited by Al Buchholz; 05-28-2006, 10:48 PM.
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Al, thanks for those links. This sure is great to know!

One more thing. Does using Alpha Five over a terminal server entail additional Alpha Five license requirements?
                    Last edited by jmatienza; 05-29-2006, 01:38 AM.
                    Jim

Comment

Not to dissuade you, because it could be my setup, but I use Remote Desktop to manage a runtime copy of Alpha on my server and the performance is horrible, especially when running reports or procedures. They all run 1/10th speed in the remote window. Again, this could be me. Could also be the effect of running it on the actual server. When connected via remote desktop to the server, if I use VNC to connect to my desktop client, Alpha's performance is much better. But that's the full version, so again that could account for the difference. I've never heard anyone else complain about remote desktop, so again, perhaps its my setup.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

That's exactly opposite of what I have found in multiple situations. It would be interesting to see how your setup is different and what you are doing.

You shouldn't get that type of difference..
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Ahem, any answer to my question regarding additional licenses?

Does using Alpha Five over a terminal server entail additional Alpha Five license requirements?
                          Jim

Comment

TS/Remote Desktop does not change the Alpha licensing requirements. You still need the appropriate runtime for the number of concurrent users that you will have in a database.

If you have multiple developers and want concurrent access to a database, you may want a 3 or 5 license pack.

In Windows, you may need to expand the number of CAL's that you have on the server to allow for enough concurrent users.

Since you will be running multiple copies of A5 on one machine, get plenty of CPU speed and memory.
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

But if it's just me accessing my project from a remote location, no concurrent users, then that shouldn't be a problem, should it?
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X