Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5V7 still as slow as V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha5V7 still as slow as V6

First I just bought the upgrade to A5V7 desktop because I had bought V5V6 laste last year and had problems with it taking forever to laod. We what I got after the upgrade is A5V7 web instead of A5V7 Desktop. It's just about as slow loading as V6 was.

Does anyomne know if A5V7 Desktop is faster loading because it isn't web based and does not try and load all the crap with it?

I really did not like V6 because of this same issue. I build desktop applications and have no need or desire for web applications. I thought when I upgradded to V7 it would be an improvement over V6 but its not.

Is there any way to speed up the loading of V7?

Hi Fred,

I have no problems loading my desktop applications in the full version of Alpha Five V7. Perhaps there is something in the application itself, or the computer. How much RAM do you have?

Good luck
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

A5V7 Slow

Actually I have 1gb Ram and a 3.02 GB processor. It seems a bit slower than the A5V5 version onloading. I wanted to know if the desktop version was any faster as thats what I should have gotton instead of the web version. When I moved to V6 my clients got mad at the very slow loading time so I had to switch them back to V5.

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire
      Hi Fred,

I have no problems loading my desktop applications in the full version of Alpha Five V7. Perhaps there is something in the application itself, or the computer. How much RAM do you have?

Good luck

Comment

The startup routines of desktop and full versions are identical

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Still slow

V7 is still slow loading. The program runs a bit faster than V6, but neither runs as quick as V5 did. V6 hogged 100% of the CPU time and I haven't checked to see if V7 also does. I have a P4 with 2 gigs of RAM so resources are not an issue. My biggest beef with V7 is that the upgrade is 99% for web-based databases and 1% (that might be strecthing it a bit) for a desktop app. Not much here for the desktop user who already has V6 or even V5 for that matter. But Alpha has to generate some revenue too. It's a shame that the browse couldn't have been updated for this release. I'll be pissed when I have to spend another 100 bucks just to get an acceptable browse control.

Comment

V6 was definitely slower for the initial load time than v5. V7 brought most (but not all) of that speed back - at least for the initial load and a few other things seem to be better also.

HOWEVER, I too am taking flak from customers that were used to version 5 and are now using version 7. (We skipped v6 because of speed issues.) They could type as fast as they wanted in v5 without problems. In v7, using the same basic app with only a few upgraded features for v7, they are able to type so fast that it can't keep up and something ends up crashing.

I'm having trouble getting specifics because the typical answer to "what's failing?" is, "Well, just everything. It all depends on where I am, how much and how fast I've been typing."

Please note - these people's fingers absolutely FLY. I recall a secretary we had years ago who was confirmed at over 80 WPM and that's what these people are like.

It's a real problem when people say the new features I've added are nice but now they have to slow down for everything else and that wastes their time. I hope version 8 brings back the speed and, whatever you do, please don't slow it down any more.

Comment

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth...

V7 loads very slow for me compared with V5. When I click on my desktop shortcut for an app it requires 33 seconds for my startup form to appear.

Comment

The comments on really USING A5 scare me.

Just timed A4v6 loading on my notebook it took 43 seconds
                A5V7 took 1min 16,on the same computer.

In each case I time to opening a database.

I wonder why I am reluctant to move all my 100 Mgb form A4 to A5

Steve

Comment

Just as I figured - This is my last upgrade

I'm done! I tired of thses upgrades and getting less performance. I've been building apps in A5V5 for years now and have been disipointed in both V6 and V7. When is Alpha (if ever) going to learn that most of us build desktop applications and not web based applications. The desktop market is where 99% of my clients want to be - not the web. Why does Alpha think that there is some great market out there for web based databases? I do not care what version is next, untill Alpha gets back to it's roots and Proves it can perform like V5 only better I don't wnat to upgrade anymore.

Comment

Works for me!

Hey Fred,

Although I do find it a little slower at loading than A5v5, I just loaded a few of my applications in the full version and the runtime - 20 to 27 secs. I find this load up time acceptable for my apps.

Perhaps your apps are doing some heavy work in the autoexec or main form initialization. Could some of these things be done differently?

Maybe you should try loading a very simple app and time it. If it's taking longer than 20 secs with the type of machine that you mentioned above, something is terribly wrong with your setup. Otherwise, post some of your initialization routines and see if some of the people here can suggest better, more efficient ways to do what you have.

Just a construct thought!

Comment

Just two quick notes.

1) We do take these posts very seriously

2) While many new customers are being drawn to Alpha Five for it web capabilites, we do understand that many of our existing customers are still very much desktop oriented and it would be in our collective best interest not to lose sight of this.
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Im not one to really be able to put in their 2 cents as to how fast or slow it runs compared to other versions as Im new to Alpha5. Theres a lot more people here who know more about Alpha5 then i probably ever will.

I ordered alpha5 before the last $99.00 promo ended. I however due to personal, work and time have not even had time to activate it yet. Let alone really be able to sit down and work at it.
                        This post concerns me, as a new user I really have no need for the web version either.
                        I think that being a new user that the web version may add additional bloat to the program that the typical new user (such as myself) looking for just a basic database may find it "a little much" and would only add to the fustration of trying to figure out the program with all its web capabilites.

I wanted to take advantage of the last 99.00 offer. If I would have known that there was going to be a Desktop version available I would have waited and purchased it.

I feel somewhat slided, Yeah you can say that for the same amount of money im getting the web version. I however at this point cant see myself ever needing the web version, and if having the web version is going to slow down my learning curve, then all the more reason that I should have gotten the desktop version.
                        I see no compairson on the alpha site, comparing the desktop version to the web version

I think its great that Alpha has seen this need to offer both versions.
                        On another suggestion alpha may want to consider a upgrade price for those who would like to jump ship from the desktop version to the web version. Seems kinda silly to pay 199.00 for the desktop version and then down the road if you need the web version to pay another 349.00 on top of that.

Even though I dont know Alpha and all it capabilities I would have ordered the desktop version instead. Just from the stand point of not needing the web stuff.

Sorry to ramble....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Daniel
                          I'm done! I tired of thses upgrades and getting less performance. I've been building apps in A5V5 for years now and have been disipointed in both V6 and V7. When is Alpha (if ever) going to learn that most of us build desktop applications and not web based applications. The desktop market is where 99% of my clients want to be - not the web. Why does Alpha think that there is some great market out there for web based databases? I do not care what version is next, untill Alpha gets back to it's roots and Proves it can perform like V5 only better I don't wnat to upgrade anymore.
                          As a die hard desktop guy, I agree with the slowness issue. V7 is faster than v6, but v5 is faster than v6 or v7. On the other hand, personally, I'm looking hard at the web capabilities, which:

A) is the future, and
                          B) is radically different than the desktop

But the truth is, more and more companies are looking to move to the web. I just finished a two-day training program w. Jerry Brightbill and I'm quite impressed. A lot of the web capabilities requires some understanding on how the web handles data and html, which in turn determines speed. There is a lot to be sacrificed when moving from the desktop to the web, but there are gains, as well.

But the desktop is going to be around for another 5-10 years so Alpha can't ignore it either. Desktop speed and functionality is important, but you can say what you will, the web is the future.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter is right in a way

I would hope that Peter is right and the web is the future but I think mainly for large corporations. I build apps for small and medium companies and find that most do not want to go to the internet. Actually many are afraid of security issues and speed. many users out there still do not have high speed access. I also work for a large corporation that has a web based order entry system with large databases and forms. Only users with fast machines and high speed internet can use the program. Dial up and modems can for get it. I get complaints every day on this issue. Most if not all of my clients say they want to keep their data on the desktop or server where they have complete control over it.

The web may be the future but I think far more than 5-10 years away.

I surveyed the last 15 clients I've built applications for and not one of them had any want or need for web based data.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Daniel
                              I would hope that Peter is right and the web is the future but I think mainly for large corporations. I build apps for small and medium companies and find that most do not want to go to the internet. Actually many are afraid of security issues and speed. many users out there still do not have high speed access. I also work for a large corporation that has a web based order entry system with large databases and forms. Only users with fast machines and high speed internet can use the program. Dial up and modems can for get it. I get complaints every day on this issue. Most if not all of my clients say they want to keep their data on the desktop or server where they have complete control over it.

The web may be the future but I think far more than 5-10 years away.

I surveyed the last 15 clients I've built applications for and not one of them had any want or need for web based data.

Fred
                              Fred,

You are right, of course. Speed & security is a big issue on the web. Especially speed, since you can pretty much manage security. But the web will get faster, and Alpha is working on AJAX for v8, so the Alpha WAS will be faster too. Some of the great benefits of using the web for a db are: no client software, no shadowing, no installs, no form management/sizing/text sizing issues, will basically run in any browser - including MACs! Not to mention, the web's main purpose in life - remote access. So there are some compelling reasons for even small companies to move webward, as it were. On the other hand, I suppose, the desktop will be around in 10-years. Heck, DOS is still around today, or at least that what I've heard.

Like I said. I'm a real desktop diehard, but the benefits of the web/WAS are very seductive, despite the relative loss of speed. But I also agree that Alpha needs to address the desktop. That's what I still use. But maybe I won't in the near future...
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X