Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5V7 still as slow as V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Daniel
    I would hope that Peter is right and the web is the future but I think mainly for large corporations. I build apps for small and medium companies and find that most do not want to go to the internet. Actually many are afraid of security issues and speed. many users out there still do not have high speed access. I also work for a large corporation that has a web based order entry system with large databases and forms. Only users with fast machines and high speed internet can use the program. Dial up and modems can for get it. I get complaints every day on this issue. Most if not all of my clients say they want to keep their data on the desktop or server where they have complete control over it.

The web may be the future but I think far more than 5-10 years away.

I surveyed the last 15 clients I've built applications for and not one of them had any want or need for web based data.

Fred
    Fred, I think you may be missing an important point.

Web database applications don't necessarily have ANYTHING to do with the Internet.

Even small companies are attracted to the idea that they can deploy an application in their organizations without having to install anything on each user's desktop. Just put the app on the server and have the user point their browser at the server (which would be running on a server inside the company's firewall and not even accessible to the internet).

That's the great attaction of Web based applications, and I suspect that you could easily interest your customers in Web based applications if you described the benefits of this scenario to them.

I agree that not everyone needs to build a shopping site like Amazon.com. But most consultants are creating multi-user applications that are used by several users within an organization. Web based applications can be very attractive in this scenario. These are often called 'intranet' applications, and I think that you will find more and more customers demanding this.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins
      Fred, I think you may be missing an important point.

Web database applications don't necessarily have ANYTHING to do with the Internet.

Even small companies are attracted to the idea that they can deploy an application in their organizations without having to install anything on each user's desktop. Just put the app on the server and have the user point their browser at the server (which would be running on a server inside the company's firewall and not even accessible to the internet).

That's the great attaction of Web based applications, and I suspect that you could easily interest your customers in Web based applications if you described the benefits of this scenario to them.

I agree that not everyone needs to build a shopping site like Amazon.com. But most consultants are creating multi-user applications that are used by several users within an organization. Web based applications can be very attractive in this scenario. These are often called 'intranet' applications, and I think that you will find more and more customers demanding this.

Whilst I agree with you and I would quite like to develop for the web but, unless I have missed something, one of the problem is going to be cost, I write databases that I almost 'give away' to charities / not for profit organisations and whilst one of these organisations does support me to purchase the A5Vx developer software and the runtime licences, (in return for writing their databases) if I moved over to web delivery, any other organisation that I wanted to be able to pass the software on to would need to buy a WAS licence to run it, as I can't give it away in the same way as I can with the runtime.

I have found quite a few bits of the latest versions (6&7) which have helped me but I would like to see much more for the desktop writer, particularly on the browse and possibly a full gui enviroment for writing xdialog screens.

But I would still say that I don't think I have found a comparible product to A5 with which to develop databases.

Ta

John

Comment

OK Why not have both

Why cant Alpha just strip out the Web stuff that slows down the application for desktop users and developers. I have now purchased both V6 anb V7 including the runtimes and still have to use V% to build applications for clients because of speed. Now I've learne that the new desktop version still has a lot of the web stuff in it and is still slower than V5 is. What the heck! Why cant they just build a version like V5 with the newer functions and features of V7? Can it be that hard? Still 98% of the calls I get for applications are from users that don't want or have access to fast servers. Most have average computers and many now have laptops that they carry around with them. The company I work for (real job) uses an webbased app that the sales force has to connect to from out in the field. 8% of them say the old DOS based app was far better because of speed and ease of use. They hate the new application. Before they could stop at a customer bring up the lap top and work right on the machine with out connecting to the web. Our competitor is still doing it the old way and is kicking our butts in sales. Latley we hear that many of our guys have trouble getting to our app because of connections.

One day when the magic web fairy make internet connection fast and accesible for everyone this web app thing will take off but for now and many years to coem the desktop is where it's at. Try walking around a restaurant and taking an inventory on the web.

Comment

I could be wrong but, with the possible exception of initial startup speed (which isn't really that big of an issue in v7 - some users may notice it but it wouldn't be a big issue if that was the only thing that was slow), I don't believe the speed issues on the desktop have anything to do with the inclusion of the web app "stuff". (sorry for using such technical terms)

BY THE WAY, let me point out that I've heard only a few speed related complaints from any customer who started with a v7 application. The majority of the complaints have come from previous v5 users who were used to a faster "smoother operating" application.

Comment

Your right! Except

Thats where the real problem is. Why is the load up time so long. Most of my V5 clients notice it but also I just built a new V7 small ap and he said the very same thing. Why does the program take so long to start up? He is compairing it to everything else he has that loads instantly or at least 10 times faster than V7. Users now days associate slow loading with a problem or error. Why is there not a simple flag or switch that lets it load like V5?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Daniel
              Thats where the real problem is. Why is the load up time so long. ... Why is there not a simple flag or switch that lets it load like V5?
              I think Selwyn explained why today. It's the system.aex file, the largest file in the xbasic program. That file contains all (or many of) the functions and scripts that A5 uses. As xbasic is so powerful, the felxibility of the program rests in large part upon these xbasic functions - which are not compiled, as Alpha does not have a native compiler. However Kurt Rayner is working on building a compiler that will compile xbasic functions into C++ code,which in turn would be compiled by the C++ compiler. Only problem is, Kurt says that is several versions away yet. In other words, it's a huge undertaking.

And the other reason might be (if you have a lot of tables and sets), is that the adb file contains the pointers to both, and when the program loads, it reads the adb and scans the data dictionarys for a list of all forms, reports, operations etc. That takes time. No mention today of a new adb file.
              Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

There are many facets to this world of database management/development in todays world. Because of that, development applications like v6 and v7 need many different items in them to meet the demand for the various realms.

An example: Way back in the beginning of wordperfect (for many years the default word processing program for the pc world) had pleading built in. This is what is necessary to put the double lines down the side of a legal document and number the lines. The majority of word processing wasn't done by the legal folks but that feature was built in as it was a recognized need. There were other seldom used features built in that the general public didn't need or use but there were enough specialty users to have them included.

I have a client that is using an old A4V3 app I made for her about 15 years ago. She loves it and hates the comparable A5 version I have built because it doesn't look and feel like her original app. I have an app being used that started in A4, has been upgraded to A5 and now may become a web app.

I have been a webmaster so some of what is in here I already know how to use but I will have to learn a lot more to build the web app.

My point being? I was, and still am, more comfortable with A4 but I have seen the handwriting on the wall. If I stay with A4, I will eventually die (business wise) since eventually they will quit running on different operating systems. So I have learned to live with the issues regarding the windows side and the changes and demand for features that this world has. Eventually, whether now, like the web app I am starting on, or 10 years from now, most of you will have to use web portions of A5 to stay alive in the business world. To me, it just doesn't make sense to buy 2 or 3 or 4 variations of a program to be able to do a job. I prefer to buy one 'full' version that lets me do what I need to do when I need to do it.

Selwyn, for years, the basis of a lot Alpha Software interest and use has been 'ease of use.' As evidenced here, sophisticated apps are requiring an extensive knowledge of scripting and xbasic so it appears to me that 'ease of use' is falling by the wayside as the 'easy learning curve' that was touted by me and many others is becoming a thing of the past.

My two cents

Oran

PS Selwyn, have you had any serious numbers of requests for linux versions like there were several years ago? Times have changed and I thank you for keeping Alpha a fun, albeit at times exasperating, world to develop in with all these wonderful people helping others.
                Last edited by masteralone; 06-12-2006, 10:21 PM.
                My two cents worth :)

Oran

Comment

reply to one point made by Oran

You say "so it appears to me that 'ease of use' is falling by the wayside as the 'easy learning curve' that was touted by me and many others is becoming a thing of the past."

I would like to point out that todays newsletter (link below) has a an article focused on the ease of use of Action Scripting. In addition, we are very aware of how important "ease of use" is as a competitive lever for us and you will see renewed focus on it in upcoming releases

Thanks

http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000128603.cfm
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

OMG, didn't expect you to be up this time of the night Richard. No offense was intended in my comment, just an observation.

Thx

Oran
                    My two cents worth :)

Oran

Comment

Not to worry Oran - no offense taken at all.

I just wanted to emphasize a point we made emphatically at the conference - the productivity of people using Alpha Five is our main mission. We know that ease of use is a VITAL factor in making people more productive.

For example we showed how, in future versions of Alpha Five, AJAX enabling web apps will be possible with literally one checkbox on an Alpha Web component (vs extensive coding by a well trained developer).

Thanks!
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Alpha lost sight of me (a desktop user) a while back

I will say for those complaining about V7 running slow that it now boots in 8 1/2 seconds on my machine thanks to the a5.exe -nodbCheck/ switch. Once it loads fast, it does everything V5 did only slower. For a reasonably priced non-programmers database, I've spent a fortune and go back to msAccess or Alpha's V5, even after just puchasing V6 (ugh!) and V7 on a long shot that 7.5 might have the browse update (and be free) which was needed to justify any desktop update from v5 to begin with.

I have purchased A4 DOS V2,3,4. A5 Windows V1 (that version was downright frauduent), V4, V5, V6 V5 3-user runtime, the Calender runtime addin, Aims code formatter, A5 doc, and finally V7. Call me optimistic or stupid. The sole purpose of getting V7 is in hopes that someone will provide me with my V5 lic filr (I have the key) (which I mis-placed for V5) so that I can use my 3 user runtime of V5 to distribute an app. I've emailed my original download purchase documents, emails and receipts, but have been pased off by an email tekkie to Marina who wants me to call her after work when she's no longer at work, to discuss something/ I just want my lic. file unless she's going to offer me a free V7 runtime as a rebate for all the bucks I've put into Alpha only to be where I was 4 years ago. That would only result in my v5 apps running slower so that's not a wise option, if it were. Nothing personal Marina.

I think until Swelyn decides what kind of program he intends Alpha to be, HTML or a RDMS perhaps it should be open-source.

Other than the loss of speed, a function or two that I'll never use and some xdialog that I'll never use. I purchased the original XBase for Everyone along with the recent release as well as the $129.00 3,000 page print-on-demand reference covering pages of "non-programmers" information. Face it, you're not going too far with Alpha without programming. Access has just as many builders and more macros than A5 and in reality the easiest one is always the one you learn first and has the most resources i.e. services and third party addins. Most of those who learned Access first (and it's not difficult) say it's the easiest. Those with no DB experience who learn Alpha will naturally say it's easiest but wait until they try to use the skills and syntax with something else. It's a dead end,What is most important is RE-USE of the code you do write where unfortunately A5 scores poorly. It's a stretch to call Access object oriented and not even a passing thought to consider it for A5. The code library is just another A5 database with a pile of functions in to shorten the list of functions in the main db. You can string a bunch of databases together leaving tables out of some and call it a db with libraries. No modules, classes or the likes to help out. Some say that because it's xbase that it cant be done, but look at Visual FoxPro. It has one of the richest OOP environments out there and custom classes, inheritance many levels deeper than one should ever use. So it can be done with xbase.

Obviously, I'm a bit sore that after having spent thousands of dollars on Alpha products, all I want is my lic. file for my trustworthy V% so I can distribute with my 3 user runtime. I can't fathom spending the $ on the V7 runtime to generate slower programs few if any noticeable new features.

For those using the web server...more power to you and I mean that literally. You need more power to keep up with the new reasonably priced web based application generators hitting the market every 6 weeks or so. There are some rather expensive (but GREAT ones with OOP i.e. Iron Speed Designer & Visual Data Flex, each around 2 thousand bucks. Then there's NAMO AT 79.00 bucks that you add your own database tables to from many sources. I think that Alpha has it backwards in that they still can ride the desktop database market for a few years (if actually improve it rather than just the web server). The way I see it A5 V7 should be called A5.2 and the Designer should be V1.5 of a different product. The last two releases misrepresent the scope of the desktop improvements and especially the non-programmer issue. There's an ancient db called "My Database" for 48 bucks that can record some macros stay neck and neck with Alpha if you omit the volumes of xbasic and xdialog one must learn to really make Alpha it hum.

I figure that since 2000, I've spent over a $1,200.00 on Alpha five and all of it's changes. For 90 bucks, I upgraded my Access 97 to Access 2003 and it does it all. Plenty of books available, Free at the library, code re-use, simple sytax which is similar to the other office programs, unbound forms without having to switch to a new language ala xdialog just to have a custom dialog box that can answer yes/no/maybe. Just give me my V5 back and call it whati really is. A powerful RDMS that uses a language that survived Microsoft and differs from the others. It might have a builder or two that Access doesn't and vice versa, but the App killer is A5's lack of SQL unless you want to spend a bunch more money on additional MYSQL addins or linkers.

Get your bearings straight. divided your programs into two and move forward with both, not just one with the other dragging on the ground behind it.

Comment

slow

I have A p4 3.4 GZ WITH 2 MEGS OF RAM AND ITS JUST S-L-O-W. I GOT IT TO LOAD FASTER FOLLOWING ADVICE RE: AFIVE.EXE -/NODBCHECK STARTUP. IT LOADS IN 8.5 SECONDS AND THEN RUNS SLOWER THAN V5 ONCE IT STARTS. IT EVEN SHUTS DOWN TWICE AS SLOW AS V5

Comment

What I would like to know is if V7 does anything about screen blinking/flashing, ie...

Any desktop apps that have a number of graphics flash at least twice when the form is activated you add a large image or a repeating background image and it gets really nasty.

We don't need the WAS portion of the application to develop for the internet as the majority here are internet developers and it takes us far less time to code a database and api than to use alpha to develop it. However, we hoped that Alpha would allow us to create a desktop application that can interact with our servers (linux/mysql) for data retrieval unfortunately we can't move forward with this until the desktop API can function with out flashing blinking etc...

Therefore, I would like to know if V7 has addressed any of the display issues before I upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Thontlb
                              The sole purpose of getting V7 is in hopes that someone will provide me with my V5 lic filr (I have the key) (which I mis-placed for V5) so that I can use my 3 user runtime of V5 to distribute an app. I've emailed my original download purchase documents, emails and receipts, but have been pased off by an email tekkie to Marina who wants me to call her after work when she's no longer at work, to discuss something/ I just want my lic. file unless she's going to offer me a free V7 runtime as a rebate for all the bucks I've put into Alpha only to be where I was 4 years ago. That would only result in my v5 apps running slower so that's not a wise option, if it were. Nothing personal Marina.
                              Suggest that you post a separate message with regard to your license issue. You might bet better results.

I can't believe that you really think Alpha is all that bad if you have bought every version and every tool and book. Must be a reason why you stick with it? If Access is so great (maybe it is), why not just stick with that?
                              but look at Visual FoxPro
                              I have. Man, you are a glutton for punishment. Visual FoxPro gives you the pleasure of hand coding everything from scratch, near as i can tell. No thanks.

I'm not faulting you, but, you gotta lot of anger dude. I wonder why you stay w. Alpha?
                              Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 06-15-2006, 09:56 AM.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

P.S.

Originally posted by Thontlb
                                There's an ancient db called "My Database" for 48 bucks that can record some macros stay neck and neck with Alpha if you omit the volumes of xbasic and xdialog one must learn to really make Alpha it hum.
                                If that's the same "My Database" I'm thinking about, I don't think so. As far as I could tell, that program was a piece of junk - with extremely limited functionality.
                                Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM.
                                Peter
                                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X