Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Birthday Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Query

I am trying to build into my application a query which will extract forthcoming birthdays from the Date of Birth Field with the ability of inserting at the time of the query a specific number of days in which birthdays are due i.e. 14 or 30 or 90 days from the date of the query.

As my knowledge of Xbasic is virtually nil I hope there is someone out there that might be able to help me.

Suggest you experiment with query by form, then use Ctrl + I to examine the expression which Alpha Five develops to filter the records you specify.

Alternatively, play with query operations. let the genie help you build the filter, then study the resulting code.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
      The genie will never be able to come up with the code needed to find the coming birthdays from the date of birth field.

First, you need a global function to determine the next birthday from the date of birth:

Code:
      function next_bday as d(dob as d)
      this_years=ctod(""+month(dob)+"/"+day(dob)+"/"+year(date()))
      if this_years>date() then
          next_bday=this_years
      else
          next_bday=\
          ctod(""+month(dob)+"/"+day(dob)+"/"+(year(date())+1))
      end if
      end function
      Then you can write a script to look for everyone in your table with a birthday coming up. In this example, the table "patient" has a field "dob" containing the date of birth of each patient:
      Code:
      dim ndays as n
      dim start as d
      dim end as d

result=ui_dlg_box("Find Birthdays",<<%dlg%
      Enter number of days ahead to look: [%v%2.3ndays];
      <*Go?ndays\>0> <Cancel>;
      %dlg%)
      if result="Cancel" then
          end
      end if

start=date()
      end=start+ndays

filter="between(next_bday(dob)"+",{"+\
       dtoc(start)+"},{"+dtoc(end)+"})"

names=table.external_record_content_get("patient",\
      "last_name-', '+trim(first_name)","",filter)

topten=word(names,1,crlf(),10)
      ui_msg_box("topten",topten)
      end
      Last edited by Peter.Wayne; 06-11-2006, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Dr. Wayne,

I see what you mean. The problem is more complicated than I initially thought. Thanks for thinking it through more completely and helping to get Jim back on track after my ill advised detour. -- tom

Comment

If anyone actually uses the script, the next_bday function as written does not include birthdays occurring on "today." Someone whose birthday is today will be considered as having a next birthday in one year. If that is not what is desired, e.g., if persons with birthdays today are to be included in the selection, then the next_bday function should be changed accordingly:

Code:
          function next_bday as d(dob as d)
          this_years=ctod(""+month(dob)+"/"+day(dob)+"/"+year(date()))
          if this_years>=date() then
              next_bday=this_years
          else
              next_bday=\
              ctod(""+month(dob)+"/"+day(dob)+"/"+(year(date())+1))
          end if
          end function
          The only change is in the "if" comparison to make it ">=" instead of just ">".

Comment

Well, perhaps this is getting a little obsessive, but the next_bday function I presented will fail if someone was born on February 29th of a leap year. This function corrects that:
            Code:
            unction next_bday as d(dob as d)
            m1=month(dob)
            d1=day(dob)
            y1=year(date())
            y2=y1+1
            if month(dob)=2 .and. day(dob)=29 .and. (.not. isleap2(y1)) then
                m1=3
                d1=1
            end if
            if month(dob)=2 .and. day(dob)=29 .and. (.not. isleap2(y2)) then
                m2=3
                d2=1
            else
            	m2=m1
            	d2=d1
            end if 

this_years=ctod(""+m1+"/"+d1+"/"+y1)
            if this_years>date() then
                next_bday=this_years
            else
            	next_bday=ctod(""+m2+"/"+d2+"/"+y2)
            end if
            end function
            and it uses the "helper" function of isLeap2():
            Code:
            FUNCTION isLeap2 AS L (yr AS N )
            	isLeap2=(day(ctod("3/1/"+yr)-1)=29)
            END FUNCTION

Comment

Bravo Dr. Wayne!!!!! ;)

For years I have wondered why Selwyn has not included an age function in Alpha products. Perhaps you can nudge him to include one in the next version?

If someone simply wanted to create their own genealogy database, they might want to see what the current age is for a living member or even use it in calculations to determine the average life spans over a user specified period of time. For Doctors, might even lead to familial/genetic traits as I know of several that are heart related and show within a certain age range.

My two cents worth

Oran
              My two cents worth :)

Oran

Comment

First of all a big thanks to Peter for picking up my plea and to Oran I can only concur with his contribution. After all, one of the most common pieces of information held in any personnel database is the Date of Birth and is used for many different functions. Here's hoping

Comment

For years I have wondered why Selwyn has not included an age function in Alpha products. Perhaps you can nudge him to include one in the next version?
                  AGE()

(Has been in the product for a number of years now.)

-- tom

Comment

Jim asked me (in a private message) to clarify how the different scripts are used. Here goes:
                    1) First, in the code editor, create the two functions, next_bday() and isLeap2(), and save them as global functions in your database.
                    2) Then the script containing the ui_dlg_box that asks for the number of days and does the query can be written as a new Xbasic script in the code editor and saved under some name of your own choosing, e.g., "BdayQuery". Remember in that script to change the name of the table from "patient" to whatever your table name is, and the field "dob" to whatever field contains the birthdate information.

Oh, yes. If you don't know how to compose scripts and functions in Alpha Five, then I know a good book that help you...

Comment

there is an age funtion
                      below is from the interactive window
                      john = {06/01/1951}

?john
                      = {06/01/1946}

?age(john)
                      = 55

Comment

cluckers about tackling school grade

OK, the birthday thing ya'll jumped on like an amusement park ride, but NADA one response for the question about a good approach to tackle the operation to update children's school grades which I posted.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=61642

OK, maybe a limp topic, yah, I admit, so I'll throw it out as to what I ended up with there, maybe way off base, but in case someone cares, as there is some relationship between these two...

Code:
                        dim democnt as N
                        democnt=tablecount("demographics",".T.")    'this estabishes the total records for the Waitdialog to set a percentage as it cycles

dim wtbox AS {WAITDIALOG}
                        dim cycle as N=0
                        dim tbl as p
                        dim cycle as N=0
                        wtbox.CREATE(1,"percent")

tbl = table.open("demographics")
                        query.filter = ""
                        query.order=""
                        query.options=""
                        xi=tbl.query_create()

tbl.fetch_first()
                        while .NOT. tbl.fetch_eof()
                        	cycle = cycle + 1
                        	bdate= tbl.birthdate
                        	familynumber = tbl.familynumber      ' whole number 
                        	friendnumber = tbl.friendnumber       ' family number + 0.01 is father, .02 is mother, and .03 and above children
                        	chnum=familynumber+.02                'this isthreashold for child number
                        	fgrade = tbl.adjschoolgrade        ' extra field to adjust for late schoo starts and hold backs
                        	tbl.change_begin()
                         IF bdate <> {} then                         ' not everyone is willing to divulge this
                        	if friendnumber>chnum then
                        		if (date_format(date(),"MM-dd"))< "07-15" then
                        			tbl.schoolgrade=((year(now())-year(bdate))-6+fgrade)
                        			tbl.graduationyear=((year(bdate)+18-fgrade))
                         		else
                        			tbl.schoolgrade=((year(now())-year(bdate))-5+fgrade)
                        			tbl.graduationyear=((year(bdate)+18-fgrade))
                        		end if
                         	else
                        	 tbl.schoolgrade= 99
                        	 tbl.graduationyear=((year(bdate)+18+fgrade))
                        	end if 
                         Else
                          tbl.schoolgrade= -9               ' default for no school grade available
                        end if
                        tbl.change_end(.t.)
                        wtbox.SET_PERCENT(Var->cycle,Var->democnt)
                        tbl.fetch_next()
                        end while
                        xi.drop()
                        tbl.close()
                        wtbox.close()
                        Mike W

Comment

Grade in school

I didn't see the the post til now Mike. Also, from the other post and the info you supplied, I was assuming you were talking about the grades students receive in school. When I read through your script, I realized you were talking about the grade level in school.

To help, I think I would need to know the purpose of this script. Will it be used year end to update all students that move up a grade? Is it used for a student that has come into the school on a probationary basis that if they don't meet the criteria for the grade they are in they will be reverted to the previous grade? Does the school, school district, and state allow for skipping grades and this is what it's for? and so on

Lol, or is this for initial data entry for a new student?
                          My two cents worth :)

Oran

Comment

School Grade levels

Originally posted by masteralone
                            I didn't see the the post til now Mike. Also, from the other post and the info you supplied, I was assuming you were talking about the grades students receive in school. When I read through your script, I realized you were talking about the grade level in school.

To help, I think I would need to know the purpose of this script. Will it be used year end to update all students that move up a grade? Is it used for a student that has come into the school on a probationary basis that if they don't meet the criteria for the grade they are in they will be reverted to the previous grade? Does the school, school district, and state allow for skipping grades and this is what it's for? and so on

Lol, or is this for initial data entry for a new student?
                            Oran,

Thank you for your feedback. How funny it is how we 'believe' we see things. I am very thankful for your reply in bumping me to the perspectives you described.

The 'school grades' is about what year of schooling a child has attained, K-12, freshman, sophmore, etc. It needs updating at the end of each school year (hence the script containing if-then index of 7-15 (July, 15)). It resides within a large database that tracks families, their church and community relationships, and very specifically for evaluating the demographics of families for event planning and staffing. You have to now how many pounds of Tater-tots and applesauce you need for any given gathering, and how many high school graduations there are on the horizon.

I have received amazingly wonderful and highly appreciated help on this forum and I'm hoping nobody took any afront to my silly chiding. My experiences with A5 is that because it is such a robust product, in most circumstances, while a solutions finds it's way to me, mine might not be the most direct and efficient route, and the experience of others easily supercedes mine. But not always. I have found huge utility in A5_get _records_in_query(), and a5_external_records_contents_get() where others senior developers use it sparsly or differently.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=61426

It's all good...

Mike W
                            Mike W

Comment

Mike,

Enjoyed your "amusement park ride" analogy. I don't find one of your favorites,
                              a5_external_records_contents_get(), in the help files. Can you point me to it?

BA

Comment

Working...
                              X