Alpha Video Training

Thread: A5V3 to A5V7

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

Default A5V3 to A5V7

I was told that one could upgrade a database created in V3 directly into V7 without a hitch. I downloaded the trial and I can only see the tables and no forms, reports, Xbasic etc. Is there something i'm missing?

Real Name
    Dan Blank

For the most part that is true. One question is did your bring everything in the file folder over to v7 or just the *.dbf files? You will need the *.ddd, ddm, etc.

As alway, I would make a copy of the entire folder and use the copy to experiment with A5v7.

Also earlier versions of A5 used card stacks. Is this the case with your app.

The more information you provide, the more help can be offered.

Have Fun!
    Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

not sure what you mean by bringing over the .ddd etc

My system is layed out in its own folder system and I merely used A5v7 to open the program i created. It is setup to automatically open a form and this of course did not happen. when inside the database, only the tables are visible. Since I opened the database in its native folder system, it should have found all of the auxilary components that make up my system.

omar

Real Name
    Dan Blank

Hi Omar,

Don't know what to tell you. I brought over a A5v3 to A5v5 without any problems. Don't think A5v7 would be any different. I did have to do away with the card stack and create my own menu form.
    Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

I believe v5 allowed for direct import and subsequent versions do not allow for direct conversion for anything under v4.

:(

Anyone have a cheap copy of v5 for sale?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

V7 WILL open and run an A5v3 application. I just did it.

Is it possible you have an A4v3 (DOS) application?? A5 cannot convert an A4 application to an A5 application. That would be a bit like saying you wanted to convert your car to a Boeing 747 - you might be able to use a few of the components but mostly it's a complete rebuild.

A5 CAN use the DATA from an A4 application but it cannot use or convert the application itself.

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CALocklin
    V7 WILL open and run an A5v3 application. I just did it.

Is it possible you have an A4v3 (DOS) application?? A5 cannot convert an A4 application to an A5 application. That would be a bit like saying you wanted to convert your car to a Boeing 747 - you might be able to use a few of the components but mostly it's a complete rebuild.

A5 CAN use the DATA from an A4 application but it cannot use or convert the application itself.
    The data is sitting on my Win2k3 SBS server and I installed A5V7 on Win XP. Yes i know the difference between DOS and Windows and No its not on A4.

I'm going to copy the dataset onto my Win XP Box to see if that does anything.

I can understand not being able to run scripts and the like but I do not see any forms, reports, letters or anything created except the tables.

Too much work was put into the relationships that I'd hate to have to recreate.

thanks for the suggestions...

omar

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by omagarc
    not sure what you mean by bringing over the .ddd etc

My system is layed out in its own folder system and I merely used A5v7 to open the program i created.
    omar
    Please tell me you made a copy of the system prior to running A5v7 against it. Better yet, you copied to another directory and opened it there.

"it's own folder system" means what?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default Re: A5V3 to A5V7

FWIW: When I tested my v3 app in v7, I simply copied the whole folder to a new folder just in case something would get modified by starting it in v7 - normally it shouldn't unless you edit something but it's best to play it safe. I didn't do anything else except to open it with v7.

All forms, reports, etc. and all global scripts and functions were there.

I didn't test every action but I did test about 10 of them and everything worked correctly as far as I could tell.

When copying the folder - copy everything. Especially, all files with the following extensions:
    dbf
    cdx
    fpt
    ddd
    ddm
    ddx
    set
    sem
    sex
    adb
    alb
    alm
    alx

Hmmm, I just looked again and saw both 3 .al* files and 3 .ap* files in my folder. I know the .ap* files were used in v1 and this app originated in v1 so I think the .ap* files are just carried over from v1. However, IF A5v3 only uses the .ap* files and NOT the .al* files, then my comparison wasn't completely accurate because I've already created a v4 or later version at some previous date.

Even if v3 doesn't use the .al* files, all the layouts should be there and the code will also be accessible but the application may need to be moved from the "card stacks" to make it easier to work with.

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

Default Re: A5V3 to A5V7

The copy of my a5v3 files were corrupt. I used a working copy of the files and viola.. Open Sesame in V7!

I'm a happy camper!

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments!

Omar