Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

InstallMaker - shortcutcreator.exe not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

InstallMaker - shortcutcreator.exe not found

Just to give you a little background. I have been using A5V7 and the 3-user runtime for some time. I recently replaced my computer and I downloaded and reinstalled A5V7 and the 3-user runtime. I activated them and they both work as expected with one exception. When I attempt to create an install package with A5V7's Tools / Utilities / Create Install Package when actually try to Create Install I receive this error message:

Could not create a valid setup file
    Please try again.
    Error: One or more of the embedded files could not be found

An embedded EXE file could not be found: <C:\Program Files\A5V7\shortcutcreator.exe>

I searched for the shortcutcreator.exe file on my system and it does indeed seem not to exist.

Any ideas?

Thank You,

Tom

Re: InstallMaker - shortcutcreator.exe not found

Originally posted by tcausey
    Just to give you a little background. I have been using A5V7 and the 3-user runtime for some time. I recently replaced my computer and I downloaded and reinstalled A5V7 and the 3-user runtime. I activated them and they both work as expected with one exception. When I attempt to create an install package with A5V7's Tools / Utilities / Create Install Package when actually try to Create Install I receive this error message:

Could not create a valid setup file
    Please try again.
    Error: One or more of the embedded files could not be found

An embedded EXE file could not be found: <C:\Program Files\A5V7\shortcutcreator.exe>

I searched for the shortcutcreator.exe file on my system and it does indeed seem not to exist.

Any ideas?

Thank You,

Tom
    I can't imagine a use for the shortcutcreator.exe outside of Alpha so I'd be glad to attach it here or email it to you. To be safe I'd like someone from Alpha to weigh in before I do.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thank you for the offer to post or email the shortcutcreator.exe file.

I agree, it would be great if someone from Alpha would comment about this issue. As far as I can tell it does seem that this is an Alpha file and not one used by other programs. But what I'm not sure whether the absence of this file might indicate that there might be other issues - possibly other missing files. This is a new computer with a fresh install of A5V7 updated to the most recent build (Build 4076_3031). So I'm just not sure why this file is not present.

Thanks again and hopefully someone from Alpha will be able to contribute something to this thread.

Thank You,

Tom

Comment

Stan,

Thank you for the offer to post or email the shortcutcreator.exe file.

I agree, it would be great if someone from Alpha would comment about this issue. As far as I can tell it does seem that this is an Alpha file and not one used by other programs. But what I'm not sure whether the absence of this file might indicate that there might be other issues - possibly other missing files. This is a new computer with a fresh install of A5V7 updated to the most recent build (Build 4076_3031). So I'm just not sure why this file is not present.

Thanks again and hopefully someone from Alpha will be able to contribute something to this thread.

Thank You,

Tom
        Since you say it is a new installation on your machine, it may be too obvious, but you have repeated the steps necessary to make the Installmaker work?

1. Run your new application with Alpha Five Runtime.
        2. Exit from the Alpha Five Runtime application.
        3. Run your new application with the Alpha Five development software.
        4. From the Control Panel, select Tools > Utilities > Create Install Package.
        5. .....................
        There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have actually gone through this exact sequence a number of times but I went through it once again subsequent to reading your post. I can open the database with the runtime and I can open the same database with the desktop version. But when I attempt to use the InstallMaker (Tools / Utilities / Create Install Package / <Create Install>) it fails and gives the "shortcutcreator.exe not found" error message. This makes sense though since this executable file does not exist. At least it's predictable.

Tom

Comment

Stan,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have actually gone through this exact sequence a number of times but I went through it once again subsequent to reading your post. I can open the database with the runtime and I can open the same database with the desktop version. But when I attempt to use the InstallMaker (Tools / Utilities / Create Install Package / <Create Install>) it fails and gives the "shortcutcreator.exe not found" error message. This makes sense though since this executable file does not exist. At least it's predictable.

Tom
            Well we narrowed down the issues. At this point I'd recommend messaging customer service with the question, where is my shortcutcreator.exe.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

I took your advice and emailed customer service to ask "where is my shortcutcreator.exe?". I will post the results once I hear from Alpha so everyone has this information available to them. However, I have to think that this is a relatively unusual issue.

Thanks Again,

Tom

Comment

I came across the solution to this issue in another thread. For whatever reason the InstallMaker needed to be inststalled separately. It's available for download here - http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5v7download/a5v7_installmaker.exe.

Comment

Hi Tom,
                  I tried your link but it did not work.
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I guess that's what I get for not checking. I actually found this link as the last post on the following this thread - http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...t=installmaker so let's see if this works.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace
                      Hi Tom,
                      I tried your link but it did not work.
                      Try this-
                      http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...stallmaker.exe
                      Kind Regards,
                      Ray Roosa
                      Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

I installed the "installmaker.exe" file.. I am still getting the error message "cannot find embedded file "shortcutcreator.exe."

Comment

Originally posted by technodoc
                          I installed the "installmaker.exe" file.. I am still getting the error message "cannot find embedded file "shortcutcreator.exe."
                          Have a look at this link below and see if it helps you in anyway-
                          http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...cutcreator.exe

You may also want to download the run-time from Alpha and un-install your old run-time, delete all ref to the old run-time including the run-time directory then reinstall it.

Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by Rayr; 07-24-2006, 08:53 PM.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Ray Roosa
                          Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Working...
                          X