Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Doing a HTTP Upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a HTTP Upload

Hi All,

I haven't really had a need to do something such as this so I am entering new waters, here....

I need to upload to a web site a small binary file. I would like to do it as a HTTP upload, if possible, to avoid some of the problems that can occur with firewalls when dealing with FTP, which I would really perfer to use, but have been burned in the past.

Is there an example of doing something like this anywhere that I could review to see how it is done. Can this be done, directly from within A5?

The goal is to eventually make this a totally integrated process, two-way communication with the website, but for now, we would be happy with getting the info up onto the website so another process can grab the information and do what it needs to do.

Thanx,
    Keith
    Keith Weatherhead
    Discus Data, Ltd
    [email protected]

Showing my lack of knowledge here..., is there no such thing as an HTTP Upload?

I want my application to send a small file to our web site....
    I'm trying to avoid firewall issues, as I will not have control of the end point system(s)....

So, given this, how -or- what would be the easiest, safest / most reliable method to get these files back to the web site?

Regards,
    Keith
    Keith Weatherhead
    Discus Data, Ltd
    [email protected]

Comment

Re: Doing a HTTP Upload

I am not totally sure what you are trying to do since you mention binary file, but you may want to look at FTP_File_XFER() and FTP_PUT_FILE(). These commands will transfer files up to a server.

I use these commands as a type of synchronization between my desktop and laptop when I travel. The desktop sends them to my folder on my website, then when on the road, my laptop brings them down and does an append for new records.

Have Fun!
      Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Keith,

http is a protocol for browsers, you cannot upload to it. You need to use ftp to upload to a 'server'.
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire
          Keith,

http is a protocol for browsers, you cannot upload to it. You need to use ftp to upload to a 'server'.
          I have never claimed to be Web Transaction/Protocol literate. That said, I know there is a difference between FTP and HTTP downloads. I also know, from my travels around the country and spending a lot of time on Hotel HiSpeed Connections that there can be numerous problems with FTP connections.

I want to put a transfer process in my application, but want to try to avoid those kinds of issues, most of the time they are firewall related. Even doing Passive Transfer/Connections, you still may not be able to get connected or successfully do a transfer.

I want to be able to send a file to a folder on a web site. While the file *may* contain binary data, it could aways be base64 or uuencoded, or put into an ASCII HEX representation which would let you deal in an ASCII only mode. The extra to accomplish this is nothing at all, other than at most 30% overhead in transfer size and the amount of data is less than 1K per transfer so it would be a "nit".

Is there a way to avoid the FTP issues?

Regards,
          Keith
          Keith Weatherhead
          Discus Data, Ltd
          [email protected]

Comment

Hi Keith,

I use the FTP_PUT_FILE() command all the time. It is done with A5. I really don't have any problems. Even when in hotels. It is all done from with A5. I have a utilities menu. I just press the button and the file goes.

I may be missing something?? However, I don't use an FTP program. A5 does it all for me. I haven't had any firewall problems, so it is difficult for me to assist you with any you may be having. If I can connect to the internet, the FTP_PUT_FILE() works fine for me.
            Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Hi Keith,

Sorry for not providing more detail for you. The issues you have experienced or heard about with ftp are all on the file server end and not the means which you are using to attempt to send or retrieve a file from that server. You can upload/download files from a file server via an http webpage, but that is done via some programming using ftp - file transfer protocol. As Dan as stated, you can also accomplish file transfers from within Alpha using the various ftp functions provided. I would suggest you play around with these and if you run into difficulty, post the details here for assistance.

Not sure if this will help or not:

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...2/FTP_HTTP.asp

The Difference Between FTP and HTTP File Transfer Protocol, or FTP, is a protocol used to upload files from a workstation to a FTP server or download files from a FTP server to a workstation. It is the way that files get transferred from one device to another in order for the files to be available on the Internet. When ftp appears in a URL it means that the user is connecting to a file server and not a Web server and that some form of file transfer is going to take place. Most FTP servers require the user to log on to the server in order to transfer files.

In contrast, Hyper Text Transfer Protocol, or HTTP, is a protocol used to transfer files from a Web server onto a browser in order to view a Web page that is on the Internet. Unlike FTP, where entire files are transferred from one device to another and copied into memory, HTTP only transfers the contents of a web page into a browser for viewing. FTP is a two-way system as files are transferred back and forth between server and workstation. HTTP is a one-way system as files are transported only from the server onto the workstation's browser. When http appears in a URL it means that the user is connecting to a Web server and not a file server. The files are transferred but not downloaded, therefore not copied into the memory of the receiving device.
              Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire
                Hi Keith,

Sorry for not providing more detail for you. The issues you have experienced or heard about with ftp are all on the file server end and not the means which you are using to attempt to send or retrieve a file from that server. You can upload/download files from a file server via an http webpage, but that is done via some programming using ftp - file transfer protocol. As Dan as stated, you can also accomplish file transfers from within Alpha using the various ftp functions provided. I would suggest you play around with these and if you run into difficulty, post the details here for assistance.

Not sure if this will help or not:
                Cheryl,

Thanx for the time and effort you have put forth. Actually, in my travels my client usually puts me up at Marriot properties. We see several different HiSpeed providers at the different hotels, Marriott, Marriott Resorts, Courtyards, Residence Inns, etc. Most of the time, if they have the STSN connection boxes, if I do not request a Public IP Address (outside of their firewall) I cannot get to my web site (FTP Wise, browsing and downloading via a link is fine) to upload pages, files, whatever.

Now that said, maybe they are just filtering all FTP port 21 requests, but I was trying to prevent any issues like that for my clients for this project.

I will play with the FTP transfers this week as I will be in the Atlanta area, doing my form of camping (Marriott over the entrance) and see how it goes.

Thanx Again,
                Keith
                Keith Weatherhead
                Discus Data, Ltd
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Blank
                  Hi Keith,

I use the FTP_PUT_FILE() command all the time. It is done with A5. I really don't have any problems. Even when in hotels. It is all done from with A5. I have a utilities menu. I just press the button and the file goes.

I may be missing something?? However, I don't use an FTP program. A5 does it all for me. I haven't had any firewall problems, so it is difficult for me to assist you with any you may be having. If I can connect to the internet, the FTP_PUT_FILE() works fine for me.

Hi Dan,

I am going to try the FTP functions and see how it works. I will be on the road this week so I will be able to try it out.

See longer reply to Cheryl's post.

Thanx,
                  Keith
                  Keith Weatherhead
                  Discus Data, Ltd
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hi Keith,

If port 21 is blocked, then you really cannot do anything about that. Back to your original .... http upload.

You can create an upload script using cgi or asp, depending on your file server type. This script would be placed on your website.

In Alpha, your button would need to create whatever file it is that you want to upload, then direct the user to the website page where the upload script is. Depending on the upload script you use, the user would need to navigate to the location the file was created in and select it for upload.
                    Cheryl
                    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl (Keith),
                      If just a port is blocked such as port 21 it is a simple matter to change ports to something else for the server connection(on the server itself)--port 21 is simply the default port used for FTP...any port can be used that isn't being used by something else. That being said, there are ways ISPs can block any server from being used and maybe that is the case here (although I have read of work-a-rounds for this as well somewhere!).

Mike
                      Mike

Comment

Yes, you can upload over HTTP. On the server you will need a web form that accepts the upload and does what you'd like with it and on the client you need to build and send an HTTP POST request.

Assuming you'll be using the Web Application Server, take a look at Uploading Files to the Web Application Server and http_post()

Lenny Forziati
                        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Hi Lenny, Thanx for chiming in here...

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati
                          Yes, you can upload over HTTP. On the server you will need a web form that accepts the upload and does what you'd like with it and on the client you need to build and send an HTTP POST request.
                          And this is capable in a "native" HTTP setting, correct?
                          It is "not" FTP in any way sahpe or form, correct?
                          And this is not a capability added just by the virtue of using WAS?

Assuming you'll be using the Web Application Server, take a look at Uploading Files to the Web Application Server and
                          http_post()
                          I'm not sure that we will get there with the first step,
                          but the short version of the answer is, that is where we plan to end up !

Thanx,
                          Keith
                          Keith Weatherhead
                          Discus Data, Ltd
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by KeithW
                            And this is capable in a "native" HTTP setting, correct?
                            It is "not" FTP in any way sahpe or form, correct?
                            And this is not a capability added just by the virtue of using WAS?
                            Yes, it is plain HTTP. I'd like to claim it is some voodoo that only we can do, but any HTTP/1.0 + compliant server will accept an HTTP POST and that is the transfer mechanism for the upload. It is then up to the app developer to handle that upload once the server receives it.

Lenny Forziati
                            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

THANX LENNY !!

Regards,
                              Keith
                              Keith Weatherhead
                              Discus Data, Ltd
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X