Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with hiding the system toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with hiding the system toolbar

I want to provide a consistent background for an app, trying to overcome the issue of dealing with multiple screen resolutions.

I am hiding the system toolbar as I have my own buttons. The autoexec script does, in part, the following:

'Open the MainMenu
    Dim pForm as P
    pForm = form.view("Main Menu","","","fill","fill")

When the Main Menu opens, it looks like that attached. Note that there is a blank area where the toolbar was.

The question is, how do I get the screen to really fill?
    Richard

Re: Problem with hiding the system toolbar

The attached jpg image of form properties seems to work for me.

Larry McQuerrey

Comment

Thanks Larry, but those are the same settings I am using.

I should say that the toolbar is not completely removed. I have a separator bar left in it because an error occurs if you try to save the toolbar with nothing in it.

I'm stumped.
      Richard

Comment

If you want your form to cover all of the control panel including menu bar, in your autoexec put:

Controlpanel.hide()

But

If you do so, make sure you have a hotspot on your main menu form. ON push event for the hotspot should = controlpanel.show().

Otherwise, you will not get the control panel back. When you have your completely debugged and ready to go (which never happens), you can remove the hotspot. Otherwise, password protect the hotspot so users can't get to the control panel.

For runtime, you could copy everything in app to a separate location, remove the hotspot from main menu, then create your stand alone app. After checking everything in runtime version, you could then copy back the original files which would still have the hotspot and you can continue to work on/upgrade your product.

My two cents worth :)

Oran

Comment

Hi Oran,

I am already doing what you suggest, both with Controlpanel.hide()
          and the hotspot.

The control panel hides alright, but the form does not cover the area formerly occupied by the control panel, which looks bad.

Surely, there must be some way to fill the entire window with a blank form! Anyone else have any ideas?
          Richard

Comment

Eureka, stubborn prevails once again!

The answer to this problem is to do the following:

'Hide the Alpha Five Control Panel
            controlpanel.hide()

'Open the MainMenu
            Dim pForm as P

Opening the form a second time with the "fill" parameters actually does fill the screen.

Seems like this is a tedious path to something that Alpha should have done with the hiding of the control panel, thus making the full screen available for whatever use desired.
            Richard

Comment

Richard, I'd be grateful for a quick comment explaining why you use fill, fill instead of form maximize ? I've never used the fill, fill option and don't know whether it's different and if so what its advantages might be.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

When I use this:

controlpanel.hide()

'Open the MainMenu
                Dim pForm as P
                pform = form.Maximize("Main Menu")

The control panel remains in place!

I used the "fill" parameters because I stumbled upon that use when looking at the command in Help. Didn't work any other way, so that is what I tried and it worked, sorta.

Actually, after using it twice and then opening another window as below:

controlpanel.hide()

'Open the MainMenu
                Dim pForm as P
                pForm = form.view("Inventory","","","fill","fill")

I noted that there was a scroll bar on the background form and, scrolling down, discovered a second copy of the Inventory form!

So, I added a pForm = form.close("Inventory"), but that did exactly nothing.

Now, I admit to being totally confused, as Alpha seems to be playing with me!
                Richard

Comment

Richard,

I do not know if this will resolve your issue, but have you tried:

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...pplication.htm
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                  http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Richard,

I have tried doing similar and think I have finally come up with something that seems to work. I tried many combinations of form.load, form.view,<frm>.show, <frm>.hide, <frm>.windowposition, etc,etc, plus the odd sprinkling of xbasix_wait_for_idle. Suddenly it seemed to work and after eliminating line by line of code I was left with this.
                    In a script place the following: substituting your names in the appropriate spots.

controlpanel.Hide()
                    bkfrm=form.view("Background")
                    bkfrm.window_position("Fill","Fill")

'remove any extra commands you may have placed in the form's event scripts

In the form's property dialog set the menu and toolbars to none

If you run this from the code tab or a button on the toolbar it should/might work (it does for me). However, if placed in an autoexec script that runs at the apps start up you still get the blank strip across the screen. Soooo, we add a step.

Create a blank toolbar that only contains a Seperator line. Then assign this toolbar to the form in the form's proprty dialog. Now it should work (It does for me)

Attached are two working samples. They both have a background that fills the A5 window and then a form that is centered. One sample has data entryform and the other has a menu form.

Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tom,

Basically it allows you to fill the main Alpha workspace with a form as a sort of a wall paper (see the link above provided by Cheryl) and still have the working forms not maximised. I have employed that system as an attempt at compensating for different screen resolutions. It sort of works OK. I set the working forms to load(...."Center,"Center")
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Cheryl,

As Tim noted, your method works, but still leaves a small gray area at the top of the screen. But thanks for the help! :)

Tim,
                        This is weird. Your two examples work perfectly.

But when I copy either set of code into my autoexec using the dummy menu and naming my forms just like yours, the background form works, but the main form does not come to the top.

And, obviously, it is not any of my Settings, since they are the same for both.

Finally, after messing with it for several hours, I removed the:

bkfrm.Bitmap1.object.left = (bkfrm.width/76)-bkfrm.Bitmap1.object.width/2

and it worked just fine! Strange!

As an aside, it is difficult for me to believe that over the life of Alpha, this situation has not come up hundreds of times. To me, it is S.O.P. to control the way the entire screen looks, not just a portion of it.

Alpha, what say ye?
                        Last edited by rfha; 07-08-2006, 01:35 PM.
                        Richard

Comment

Working...
                        X