Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Login security concept?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login security concept?

If you create a login component with a function such as MD5(), how does that work?

If the password is encrypted w. MD5 before being sent across the web, how does the browser know what A5's MD5 function does? Does the browser somehow retrieve the function to the local browser and then encrypt it on the local client before sending it to the server?

I'm just trying to understand how this works conceptually.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Re: Login security concept?

Steve can probably explain the use of MD5.

I have used a different encryption using encrypt_string() and decrypt_string(). These functions use an encryption key which you can let your admin user set or change. The other advantage of encryption is that the password becomes case sensitive.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat,

My question is not how the function works, but rather the conceptual functioning of the web/browser. If MD5 (or any other Alpha function) exists on the WAS SERVER, how is the password encrypted before transmitting across the web? If th password is not encrypted before being submitted, what would be the point of encryption? I want to understand the concept of how the data is securely transmitted. Not the mechanics of the function.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter,

Great question. I actually didnt know the answer to this one, and your idea definately makes sense. To test it, I just performed a Man-in-the-Middle attack on myself. My login model online uses MD5() as its security, and all I was able to intercept was the MD5 hashed data, not the unencrypted data.

I have no clue as to how it works, but I can tell you that a simple intercept will not get the unencrypted data.

If you are actually worried about security, MD5() is probably not the way to go as it takes about 30 seconds to unhash most passwords encrypted that way, and anyone who knows how/cares enough to get the hash will know how to unhash it.

Hope this helps,
        Chris
        Chris Dickey
        [email protected]

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not hung up on MD5, and I know it can be reversed. I just want to understand the operating principal.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, I read through the comments here, and not sure of your question. Here is how it works in answer to what I think your question is.

Server side - Your Username table has a field that contains the 32-character hash value. The actual text password is NOT anywhere on the server, only that hash value. This means you have to have a script that lets the user enter a real password, and you write the hash value and discard the real password. If someone calls you and asks what their password is, you actually do not have any way of knowing.

Remote client (browser) side - On the Login page, the user types in the real password. An xbasic script turns that real password in to the hash value. Then you use lookup() to see if that hash value matches the value in the Username table.

Chris - I did not know you could crack the hash value so easily. Can we do a test, what does this one read:

"e99f5455061b598087e728a866bbafa0".
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood
              Peter, I read through the comments here, and not sure of your question.
              Remote client (browser) side - On the Login page, the user types in the real password. An xbasic script turns that real password in to the hash value.
              Steve,

My question is: how does the browser know xbasic? Since the password is converted into the hash before being transmitted across the web, how does it convert the user typed password into the hash? I understand that the server side knows xbaisc, after all, that's where the WAS resides. I'm just trying to understand how the client side converts the value. Your local browser doesn't know xbasic.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Well, er, I don't know either! There are a couple pages in the Alpha Help that speak around that topic, but don't really say. You know the request has to be making one and only one trip to and from the WAS, and Chris confirmed only the hash is sent, so it MUST be processing MD5() in the browser. But then again, how could it??
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

But then again, how could it??
                  Exactly! Now you understand the question. Weird science or what?

I just want to understand the basic concept, which will help me figure this web thing out.

P.S. Maybe there are really two trips to the browser? The first one...?????
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I think as long as you are implementing SSL and the client is using a relatively modern browser that supports SSL you don’t need to worry about plain text passwords in the clear.

As I am sure you know, Web site session encryption uses the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to encrypt all of the information between the Web server and Web browser. As information such as your password is entered into a Web form, the BROWSER encrypts this information (the whole page!) before sending it to the server where it is decrypted. Likewise, when the server returns information to your browser, this information is first encrypted on the server and decrypted on the browser (the whole page!). By using session encryption via SSL, all of your information, not just your password, is safe as it transits the network path between your browser and the server.

If you are not using SSL then you have to come up with the encryption and keys (third party tools or you could still use SSL to supply the keys) and would have to use some scripting embedded in the page that initially gets sent to the browser from the server. When the password is filled in and the page submitted, the script would then encrypt the password and create the key before sending the information to the server. The server would then use a corresponding key to decrypt the password.

I am sure no web browsers currently support Xbasic functions intrinsically. Therefore, the use of this function on the client side is a farce unless some scripting that the browser understands (eg. JavaScript) is embedded in the published form of the a5w page when the MD5() function is included.

But I could be wrong :-)
                    Last edited by Hansolo; 07-10-2006, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hansolo
                      When the password is filled in and the page submitted, the script would then encrypt the password and create the key before sending the information to the server.
                      Thanks Hansolo. The SSL concept is clear to me, because that technology is built into the browser. But the latter explanation still does not compute (for me, at least). If MD5() is embedded in the page (to use an example), how does that functionality work on the client side, before sending to the server? Something is missing here. I know that it works properly, just don't understand how.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

The page has to be requested from the server initially.

Does MD5() instruct the server to embed some JavaScript prior to sending the page to the browser?

I have no experiance with MD5() but it stands to reasion that the WAS is creating the page in accordance with the service needed and that the key to this is in how it treats MD5() before the page gets to the client.

Comment

Well, er, I don't know either! There are a couple pages in the Alpha Help that speak around that topic, but don't really say. You know the request has to be making one and only one trip to and from the WAS, and Chris confirmed only the hash is sent, so it MUST be processing MD5() in the browser. But then again, how could it??
                          There is actually an initial request for the page. You are only thinking about the Submitted request after fillin in the password. I think it is processing MD5() when the page is initially requested. Does that make sense?

Comment

MD5() is irrelevant. The point is, how does the client side interpret xbasic. The server side does because that's where the WAS lives. And sure, an ordinary page gets sent to the server, where the WAS parses the xbasic and sends it back to the client. But if you are encrypting something with xbasic, how does the client do that without sending the unencrypted data along with the page/xbasic?
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

The browser doesn't know what MD5() is.
                              It can't send the unencrypted password.
                              So MD5() (or any similar function) has to be processed first. - How?
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X