Alpha Video Training

Thread: Need help deciding which version

Real Name
    Tim Turner

Default Need help deciding which version

Greetings,
    If this is not the place for my question, please advise and forgive. I've written to Pre-Sales a few times, but do not get detailed or completely helpful answers.

A friend uses A4V6 for his business and has for years. I want to duplicate his entire application, i.e. database, forms, memo fields etc. I was told I could import these things into A5, but it has not been made clear if would be workable or if it would require a lot of programing and design changes. I've evaluated A5 latest version for 6 days and have gotten almost nowhere. I guess I need an A5 for Dummies book! The help files do not seem very detailed as to importing and transitioning these files.

Everything points to A5 for the future, but I'm more concerned about now, as I cannot afford the training I would need, based upon the classes I've seen, and I certainly can't afford the average $1500 everyone seems to want to design the application I need using A5. If I could actually import his and make it work, I could worry about the transition to A5 overtime as I developed.

I guess my question would be if I purchased A4V8, would it be easier to duplicate the exact program I need rather than trying to learn A5? I've used his frequently and am quite accustomed to it. Based on my trial thus far, A5 seems a little too complicated for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tim Turner
    Oklahoma City

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Need help deciding which version

Quote Originally Posted by timbuk2
    Greetings,
    Everything points to A5 for the future, but I'm more concerned about now, as I cannot afford the training I would need, based upon the classes I've seen, and I certainly can't afford the average $1500 everyone seems to want to design the application I need using A5.
    Is this a friend's business or a hobby? The value of programming changes dramtically when a business generates money from it, rather than a hobby that is more for fun. This sounds like it is more of a hobby.

I guess my question would be if I purchased A4V8, would it be easier to duplicate the exact program I need rather than trying to learn A5?
    Chances are very good that you can open the application with a4v8 and run with it with very few (if any) changes.

The conversion of the data to a5 is easy. The remainder of the system needs to be rewritten and that can be a larger job.

I've used his frequently and am quite accustomed to it. Based on my trial thus far, A5 seems a little too complicated for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tim Turner
    Oklahoma City
    Then take your time learning a5.

The main reason for moving the version a4v6 to a4v8 is that the system will run under Windows XP in a4v8. Is that the situation here?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Tim Turner

It is a business, as will my use be. His program/database layout etc within A4V6/8 would work perfect for me. He uses his on Windows XP, so I assume he upgraded his A4 earlier version for that reason. He owns 3 upgrades. His company used it for 20 years, he's used it for 13. Not sure about A4 or A3 History. If I could just learn how to import his application, or user fields and tables.... i.e. the way his program displays and allows you to review and enter data for his business, it would be perfect. I can't find any other program to buy that does is without buying a bunch of stuff I don't need.

He's not interested in A5, but I am a windows person. I just can't comprehend A5 in the 6 days I've been trying. It's out of my league without spending a month or two. I'm not experienced with databases, I just see the result.
    Thanks
    Tim

Real Name
    Tim Turner

I was able to successfully import the database, as expected, but am unable to do anything with it due to mass confusion and little time. I was really neededing to know if I purchased A4V8 instead of A5V7, if I would be able to import all the tables, fields, rules... in other words, I guess the entire application? I would really like to purchase the new version, but I don't believe I can conquer it without a lot of time and hard work.... like maybe a class or two. In the meantime, I need to be working on building, editing and using my database.
    You would think there would be a simple program somewhere that would consist of the application I need, but I haven't been able to find one.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks
    Tim

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

I was able to successfully import the database, as expected, but am unable to do anything with it due to mass confusion and little time. I was really neededing to know if I purchased A4V8 instead of A5V7, if I would be able to import all the tables, fields, rules... in other words, I guess the entire application?
    Yes it's an easy change to a4v8.

I would really like to purchase the new version, but I don't believe I can conquer it without a lot of time and hard work.... like maybe a class or two. In the meantime, I need to be working on building, editing and using my database.
    You would think there would be a simple program somewhere that would consist of the application I need, but I haven't been able to find one.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks
    Tim
    You haven't told us enough about what the application does to answer that question...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Tim Turner

It is for operating a Home Cleaning Service customer database. As it works now, it is used to look up / add or edit customer info on the fly, search for and change cleaning dates, employees each from a 'drop down' list. Contains detailed descriptions of the customers home, directions, cleaning instructions, how to enter, special notes, etc etc. One can then easily print a copy of the Customer Sheet for each employee (form?) and a master weekly work sheet for the office listing day, date, customer, employee, phone, time IN and time Completed. It's the perfect form for this business.

I can see a lot of advantages to the new A5V7 for future use, but that will probably be a while for me until I can better understand and learn to use the program.

Thanks!
    Tim