Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Buttons on a web page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buttons on a web page

One other quick note before I get some sleep...I can build a grid component from the member registration table. A quick experiment with that proved successful but does not provide the actions I described in my first post here. Plus I didn't have time tonight to see how customizations would work out on the grid component.

My method would actually display a simple web page with two buttons that I had hoped to attach script to that would then display my already custom built form from the desktop application and go from there. Can I do this and is it the most efficient way? Or must I go the grid component path for sure? Are the desktop made forms and applications completely isolated from use with the web application server? What are some of the options maybe available via raw XBasic code (and I'm sure there is) compared to the genies using the scenario above as an example?

In the future I'll probe further into the XBasic but I'm primarily looking for the efficient way at the moment as I have a time frame to work in.
    Regards,
    ILEllis

Just point me in the right direction :)

Comment

Sorry guys, the post above was meant for another thread I started...
      Regards,
      ILEllis

Comment

Originally posted by ILEllis
        Howdy Clint, no problem and the suggestion about tables is really great in more than one way as mentioned.

My greatest hurdle though is my new Web Application Server recently purchased so I could create a virtual club of sorts. I've taken care of most of the basics and can get it up and running on the web. Several web pages are taking form but I believe I have a need to understand the "big picture" better. Maybe one of you could enlighten me some.

I have been using Alpha software in one form or another for years now. Long ago I use to develop relational databases using basic programming and eventually Alpha Four (the old DOS version...and I still have it today) and have always been comfortable with XBasic (even though I'm currently a little rusty at it) with my Alpha Five version 5. Now it is Alpha Five version 7 and the web application.

From much that I have read I have a good understanding of the bits and pieces within the packages I have purchased but I'm having trouble (and not for the lack of researching this) bringing it together with the new Web Application Server.

I read somewhere that one way to look at it was the data files are the common element between the two distinct applications, 1) the desktop Alpha Five application and 2) the web application server. The web application server allows you most of the flexibility of the desktop application when it comes to deploying the tables of data (in the form of forms and browses) to be used on the web (correct me if I'm wrong?).

So as I see it my biggest problem is learning the proper path to take to deploy the forms and browes and such on my web pages. In other words I can pretty much manipulate just about all the elements currently in either application but learning the "steps" with each element is really the slow part for me. Its the lack of having the "big picture" put before me.

The tutorials are all excellent as I grasp them well but even so they haven't brought the image to mind on how all the pieces of the application work together and the "steps" to put those forms and browes on the web pages. If I get past that I'll break the barrier so to speak and be on my way. :o

So if you can spare some time and explaination I'm all ears! If you know of a good reference for what I have described I'd be most grateful to be pointed to where I might find it. I not afraid to read and learn, just got to have the right stuff. :)
        [Begin rambling:]
        When starting a relatively new concept, the key is to start modularly. Make sure each piece works with as little frills (securing the web page can wait till you have real data for example and the server shouldn't allow browsing [undirected scans] anyway by default).

Make a rough drawing of your desired flow and put the grids/dialogs up that fill each task. When you have a basic grasp on what your application needs to look like, flesh out those components.

A great programmer once wrote, and I'm paraphrasing, "to get an application right, you need to write it 3 times. The first time you learn so much that it's clear you need to start over. The second time you find out what was really wanted and by the third time it's pretty close to what was really needed."

However, who has that kind of time/money?

By going modular in your development, you can approach the above concept. You'll learn each time you make a new module (ideally) and take that knowledge with you onto the next module.

You might want to tap a few of the professional developers here to get a price to make a few pieces for you. You could then use those pieces that reflect your desired outcome as a guide on the go-forward. That is what I did to get jump started myself (thanks to those developers /wave).

Of all the web development I've done, WAS is by far the easiest in comparison.
        However, instantly intuitive, it's not. Don't let yourself spin your wheels too long, people here can't remotely write your application for you (alas...) but quite a few will if you pay them /smiles (I'm not looking for work, fyi).

[End Rambling:]

Comment

Thanks Clint...no problem, modular is the word. That is exactly the way I used to do raw flat out programming. I always built the "blocks" that I could use over and over again. Much better than the old "spaghetti" programming. Once I get use to the WAS and putting up stuff I'll be doing just that, I'll actually try to refine my scripts and save the common ones as "building blocks" for later. As long as I have used Alpha I have always liked it and that knowledge of how they (Alpha) brought it along compared to other relational database software has kept me a solid customer with them whenever I needed those tools (and that has never changed). I own many version of Alpha software.

I definitely don't want to scare off the help I have received so far. I probably have over explained things (my fault) to try and make sure you can see what I was getting at. I really don't need help programming or even using the Alpha software, I will sit and read for hours if need be to overcome even the smallest problem myself there, the documentation does a fine job in that area, but falls a little short in bringing the big picture together (it is scattered through the details) so it is the big picture concept, or methods I was looking for help on. I understand relational database programming very well, and the WAS stuff fairly well (web security is no doubt a major concern of my own).

I read a very interesting thread last night with Peter, Chris and Lenny about a method Peter questioned. In that discussion Lenny mentioned an interesting concern about how even the most obscure web site that collects passwords and personal data could possibly be held liable for compromise of such data that could be used elsewhere due to a mere fact of how people use passwords and such. Not as risky as someone just walking off with a disc such as recently happened in the US veterans administration but lessons we should all pay attention too. Back on subject...

Peter made one really short commit to me in another thread that really help me "see" something more clear. I had already stated the correct idea but I myself was just unsure if I had it right, he said I was right and now I can approach that thinking with confidence and research things further myself with that correct point of view. That really helps. The other thing is becoming familiar with where some things are. I know what to do but need to know where the thing is to do it with.

Peter cleared up the fact that I can not use the forms and browses made within the desktop side of the application to use on the WAS. I must go to the web design components to do this. That is a hugh help knowing this. Now I probably need to go back and read things again some because I'll know how to keep them separated. I just need those small prods now and then to keep me straight and I appreciate any you can share...and I'll try not to bore you to much...end rambling. :D
          Regards,
          ILEllis

Comment

Thanks Clint...no problem, modular is the word. That is exactly the way I used to do raw flat out programming. I always built the "blocks" that I could use over and over again. Much better than the old "spaghetti" programming. Once I get use to the WAS and putting up stuff I'll be doing just that, I'll actually try to refine my scripts and save the common ones as "building blocks" for later. As long as I have used Alpha I have always liked it and that knowledge of how they (Alpha) brought it along compared to other relational database software has kept me a solid customer with them whenever I needed those tools (and that has never changed). I own many version of Alpha software.

I definitely don't want to scare off the help I have received so far. I probably have over explained things (my fault) to try and make sure you can see what I was getting at. I really don't need help programming or even using the Alpha software, I will sit and read for hours if need be to overcome even the smallest problem myself there, the documentation does a fine job in that area, but falls a little short in bringing the big picture together (it is scattered through the details) so it is the big picture concept, or methods I was looking for help on. I understand relational database programming very well, and the WAS stuff fairly well (web security is no doubt a major concern of my own).

I read a very interesting thread last night with Peter, Chris and Lenny about a method Peter questioned. In that discussion Lenny mentioned an interesting concern about how even the most obscure web site that collects passwords and personal data could possibly be held liable for compromise of such data that could be used elsewhere due to a mere fact of how people use passwords and such. Not as risky as someone just walking off with a disc such as recently happened in the US veterans administration but lessons we should all pay attention too. Back on subject...

Peter made one really short commit to me in another thread that really help me "see" something more clear. I had already stated the correct idea but I myself was just unsure if I had it right, he said I was right and now I can approach that thinking with confidence and research things further myself with that correct point of view. That really helps. The other thing is becoming familiar with where some things are. I know what to do but need to know where the thing is to do it with.

Peter cleared up the fact that I can not use the forms and browses made within the desktop side of the application to use on the WAS. I must go to the web design components to do this. That is a hugh help knowing this. Now I probably need to go back and read things again some because I'll know how to keep them separated. I just need those small prods now and then to keep me straight and I appreciate any you can share...and I'll try not to bore you to much...end rambling. :D
            You can inexpensively protect your offsite backup by encrypting it before it leaves the building (TrueCrypt). A better way is to encrypt, in place, the data on the server. Then it's only available to those who have proper authorization.

WAS can encrypt via Xbasic (it's not a powerful as AES maybe) but you'd be showing due diligence I believe.

I'm assuming encryption on the fly will be more easily implemented in following releases (hoping).

Comment

Hi ILEllis,
              What is the link to the thread you talk about?
              Kind Regards,
              Ray Roosa
              Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Howdy Ray,

If it is the thread I read the other night this should be the link...

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=62286
                Regards,
                ILEllis

Comment

Howdy Ray,

If it is the thread I read the other night this should be the link...

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=62286
                  Thank you
                  Kind Regards,
                  Ray Roosa
                  Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Working...
                  X