Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filter Report using Check-Box List-Box xdlg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Filter Report using Check-Box List-Box xdlg

g,

You misunderstand. I wouldn't use a filtered append op. I'd use a script that loops through the array. On each iteration I'd do an indexed fetch_find(), a record_data_get(), and a record_data_set() to put copies of the found records in a temp table that has the same structure. Suggest you search message board for related threads discussing use of temporary, temp, or intermediate tables with reports.

--tom

Comment

Finian's essay in this thread illustrates the technique I'm talking about.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...able+temporary

Be sure to read the thread all the way to the end.

-- tom

Comment

Tom:
        I must not have been clear enough. The discussion in the thread you referenced deals with LQO. The problem here is a bit different. It's the step right before alpha gets to search & retrieve (the LQO) operation.

1-Step one: you choose certain item(s) through the xdlg, for example: Boston & Dallas in the example I used before

2-Step two: These items, by virtue of how the receiving variable in the xdlg is designed, will be stored as a crlf array. so now you have a variable, vchoice, that looks like this:

Dallas
        Boston

3-Here is the snag (the bottleneck):
        how do you get this array into the operation filter? whether that operation is print, copy, append or whatever? The thread you referenced purports to creating "temp" tables. But to do so, to append records from your existing table to a temp table, you've got to "translate" this array to the filter of that operation, this "translation" is the time consuming one.

The available means to do so in alpha is to use either is_one_of() or inlist2(), neither one of them runs fast.

How did I come to the conclusion that this is the bottleneck?

If you use the same script, one that will create the xdlg, receive your choices and then print the report but instead of inlist2() you hard code the filter, the script will run & generate the report in a second, something like this:

..create xdlg & get choices to vchoice...
        :Report.Preview("report_name,",'"field1=boston'.or.field1='dallas'",query.order)

Conversely, if you use:

vichoice2 = crlf_to_comma(vchoice)
        query.filter = "inlist2(field1,"+s_quote(vchoice2)+")"

query.order = ""
        :Report.Preview("Item Expense1",query.filter,query.order)

It will take forever, which leads me to believe that resolving inlist2() is the time consuming part. To create temp tables as in the thread you referenced, you have to resolve inlist2() first.

I mentioned in my first post that I might try appending an array to a new array or initialize an array from the table and then use array.matching to filter the desired ones. I do nt know if that will resolve the issue or create new snags.
        Thanks

Comment

g,

the attached script may help. It illustrates how one might parse a list of variable length and construct a filter expression with the elements found in each line.

Create a new xbasic script on the code page of the AlphaSports sample database. Paste the attached text file into the script and save it. Then run it. (by the way it handles multi-word city names just fine).

the output from the script is found in the trace window.

Hope this helps.

-- tom

Comment

Tom:
            Thanks for your efforts. I was getting an error msge, see attached. I think you meant to put a semicolon between a5_eval_expression & local variable() which I did and now the script works fine and you could see the list in the trace window and the filter constructed the way I wanted. Awsome!
            I think this will make for a great function!
            Thanks

Comment

Tom:
              The last step in the whole routine is not working, the part where I incorporate filter in the print operation.

In your script, filter is the variable that will contain the final filter string. Now if you write the script like this:
              :Report.Preview("report_name",filter,query.order)
              You get a message "filter is not logical" !
              I tried to evaluate "filter" before the report.Preview, but I keep getting simillar errors!

Comment

G,

First, I eliminate the obvious and assume you replaced 'City' in Tom's code for your own field name.:) Or if you are running it in Alphasports it should be 'Bill_City' as this is the field where the list is coming from.

Second, below is the section of Tom's code that constructs the filter. I have highlighted in red a couple of sections to delete from the code. The filter was ending up with One too many sets of quotes.
                Code:
                filter = "[COLOR="Red"][B]\"[/B][/COLOR]City = "
                for i = 1 to k
                    line = word(citystring, i, crlf())
                	trace.writeln("Line "+ltrim(str(i))+" "+line)
                	if i <> k then
                		filter = filter + " '"+line+"' .or. City = " 
                	else
                	    filter = filter + " '"+line+"'[COLOR="Red"][B]\"[/B][/COLOR]"	
                	end if    
                	trace.writeln(filter)
                next i
                It would be great if you could report back if this configuration runs faster (and by how much) than the inlist2() version.
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim:
                  The first & last \" need to remain to enclose the filter with double quotation. You could take those out and use s_quote later with the same result.

The script as is written produces the correct filter string in the trace window. The problem I am running into right now is when you put that string in :report.preview() you get an error message: filter is not logical.

I guess I need to get some sleep and think about this in the morning, but since it's morning time for you, maybe you could come up with the answer.

As to the speed, I believe it will be lightning fast. inlist2() is absurdly slow. Once I resolve this last issue, I will confirm that.
                  Thanks

Comment

g,

Tim was correct. I had too many quotation marks. Here's a corrected version, which actually runs a query against the customer table in AlphaSports. After running the script check the trace window to see how the filter was built, one line at a time. Then open the customer table's default browse to see whether or not the query ran successfully.

Thanks Tim!

-- tom

p.s. The approach I'm using has one known limitation. The filter expression itself cannot be more than 1023 chars long. If the user selected too many cities, he could break the script since the filter string became too long. Using short fieldnames will help. I recommend the script be modified to terminate cleanly with a warning message to the user if the length of the filter is too long. If this limitation is unacceptable you'll probably have to go back to my original idea and use a temp table, constructed using looped index find by keys to copy the selected records into the temp table.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel
                      Tim:
                      The first & last \" need to remain to enclose the filter with double quotation. You could take those out and use s_quote later with the same result.
                      Thanks
                      I created a new report named 'Cust_Test' in alphasports based on the customer table. Made sure there was no record selection happening as part of the report. ie all records showing in report.

To the end of Tom's script added the following
                      Code:
                      report.preview("Cust_Test",filter)
                      and edited the filter section as outlined above so that the end of the script looks like this.
                      Code:
                      k = line_count(citystring)
                      filter = "Bill_City = "
                      for i = 1 to k
                          line = word(citystring, i, crlf())
                      	trace.writeln("Line "+ltrim(str(i))+" "+line)
                      	if i <> k then
                      		filter = filter + " '"+line+"' .or. Bill_City = " 
                      	else
                      	    filter = filter + " '"+line+"'"	
                      	end if    
                      	trace.writeln(filter)
                      next i

report.preview("Cust_Test",filter)
                      If I leave the \" in I get the "Filter is not logical" mesage. When I take it out the report reports.

The filter needs to be entered as a character string I know but me thinks that since it is being passed in from a character variable that the characterness is being implied/supplied if you get what I mean.

I came to this conclusion by trying to create the filter in the 'Select Records' dialog while designing the report. I used the genie to create a multiple condition filter. And observed what ended up in the filter field and there is no opening or closing quotes. Indeed if you copy the filter text that Tom's script generates and paste it into the filter field of the record selection dialog then try to preview the report you will get the said error message. However, if you simply remove the double quotes from either end. it will bring up the report. Atleast that is how it behaves at my end.
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tom,
                        I was just too slow. I was doing some testing in the interactive window before submitting my reply. However, the testing didn't clear matters up much. I thought maybe I could see how the strings got built differently. This is what I got in the IW.
                        Code:
                        var = "String"
                        Filter = ""
                        filter = "Character ="
                        filter = filter + " '" +var+"'"
                        ?filter
                        = "Character = 'String'"

Filter2 = ""
                        filter2 = "\"Character ="
                        filter2 = filter2 + " '" +var+"'\""
                        ?filter2
                        = "Character = 'String'"
                        One lesson I have learned from this is when testing to back up the IW with a write to the trace window.
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Tim, I use the trace window a lot. It's a bit awkward sometimes since things have to be converted to character data types, but it doesn't interrupt the program flow like a msg box will.

I think g's problem (wish I knew his first name) was using the inlist2() inside a query spec, causing each record in the table to be examined one at a time. Hopefully the query string we've been working on will be much faster for him.

-- tom

Comment

Tim/tom:
                            For security purposes, when online I try to give as fewer information about myself as possible. I think, this is a good practice, I am surprised at those who include all their info online. There is no telling who is reading this stuff. I will send it to your email.

Tom's script displays correctly on the trace window, but when you insert filter in the operation you get an error: filter not logical.

Tim's script produce an error: '....................' not a filter expression. I guess that is because it is not enclosed in double quotations.

I used Tim's script and tried to enclose it in double quotation with s_quote and I got: "\"................" . What do you make of that !?

So, we are down to that final step!
                            Any other ideas.

Comment

g, please confirm you cannot get my revised script to work with AlphaSports.

-- tom

Comment

Tom:
                                The script runs fine in alphasports and the query filters appropriately. The problem is in incorporating the filter in the preview operation (either :report.preview() or review_report()) that's where you get the error messages.
                                The expression is not reading the filter as such for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X