Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

get text from memo field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get text from memo field

Hi all.

I did a search to no avail, but I need to know how to get text into another field or a variable from a memo field. The text may be an email, first name, last name or other usually prefaced by a lead like eMAIL:. I can't figure out how to search and extract the few words that are important to my project.

If it helps, I get leads off the internet from varied sources that format the body of the emails different ways so lines won't work.

some look like this:

Name: John Davenport
    Address: 1 Not Available
    City: Ocala
    State: FL
    Zip: 34352
    Distance: Customer is approx. 36 mi. from you
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Phone: 354-804-6889

Others may look like this:

First Name: jonnnar
    Last Name: crebese
    Address: N/A
    City State Zip: perry,fl 32377
    Telephone: 850 589 7191
    EMail: [email protected]

There are many other formats as well.

Any help is appreciated!

Dave Mason
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Re: get text from memo field

Originally posted by DaveM
    I can't figure out how to search and extract the few words that are important to my project.
    What few words might those be? If you can define the things you want then someone can probably help construct a means of getting the data. If there are no common characteristics then no one can help.

For example, is there some type of name you want extracted always preceded by

name:

whether it be

name:
    first name:
    last name:

If this is so, if the data is plain name: as in

name: john doe

are you sure there aren't any instances of

name: Doe, John

Complex task when you consider all the possible variations.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thanks.

Might help if you read my query first? I thought I made it quite clear.

I need to extract several things and put them into fields on a form. I need a way to search for several keys which may be different on different emails in. I gave examples of those.

Dave
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

specific memo field tex to variable

Hi All!

Yes, I searched the database.

I need to extract text like:

Name: John Doe

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 352-352-2015

from a memo filed on a form to variables. I would want only the actual name, actual email and actual phone number extracted. I know how to do what I need after that.

Surely there is a ready-made function(s) to do this, but I have not found it/them.

Thanks all who help!

Dave Mason
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I did a search of help for 'string'

Found stringscanner

Haven't used it. Does it do what you want?

Otherwise look at extract_string()

Many others found under character functions in the help system.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM
            Stan,

Thanks.

Might help if you read my query first? I thought I made it quite clear.

I need to extract several things and put them into fields on a form. I need a way to search for several keys which may be different on different emails in. I gave examples of those.

Dave
            I've re-read the post and I see nothing which definitively tells me which data you wanted. When I see words included such as

The text may be an email, first name, last name or other usually prefaced by a lead like eMAIL
            I am at a loss as to how to give solid advice. I was merely pointing out that you must be able to say exactly what you want. That, in turn, can be translated into a code sequence to deliver the desired result.

Hope Al's suggestion gets you underway. Good luck.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

I remember you from the past few years.

Dave
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Al,

Thanks! I did not see those. I will try the scanner to get a point (if it will) and then extract the line behind it or the whole line.

Dave
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave:
                  1-If you are in a set, and if you are searching a memo field in a child table, the syntax is:
                  flatenquery(rtf_field_to_text("table-"field"),"search_string"))

2-If you are in the parent table, or simply searching a single table, the syntax is:
                  contains(rtf_field_to_text("table-"field"),"search_string"))

Comment

I think I need to explain more!

I have to find about 6 different things within a memo field. An example would be:

name: John Doe - where I need to find the line and copy the name "John Doe" to another field or variable on the same form. I can disect it after that with no problem into the fields First and Last.

email: [email protected] - where I need to find the line and copy "[email protected]" to a field or variable on the same form.

phone: or Main phone: 352 302 2015 - where I need to copy 352 302 2015 and place it in my phone field on the same form.

There are other lines/words I need to copy also.

I use alpha to copy my emails for work where people are going online to search for cars and I have several companies that send the emails with this information (formatted all kinds of ways) to me. I then formulate a response within Alpha 7 and return a price quote to them. I currently do a lot of copy and paste to get the needed information into the proper fields so I can send a good response. I have about 3600 records in this database and associated tables. The memo and other fields are all in one table(master).

I have been using Alpha since about 1990 and am not a novice. I like most have problems sometimes.

Dave
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave, I fear you're in for a rough ride without some delimiters in the text. How will your script know where a target string begins and ends? Some names have one word, some 3 or 4. Some have punctuation, other's don't. How will the script know where the phone number string begins and ends. Some will have spaces, some hyphens, some parentheses without spaces. The combinations possible with raw text are mind boggling.

If it were me and the text of the email were available to me, I'd insert field delimiters manually before moving the text into a memo field. Then my script could parse the text in the memo reliably.

My 2 cents.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Long time since I read your sinical rhetoric. Nice to hear from you! You still here in FL?

All the texts I am to searc for begin with a telling word like "name:", "First" or "email:" and the line is blank with only the appropriate text after that. If I can find "email", I can then copy all the text after. That should help me, I think.

I can break it down easily after I get it.

Dave Mason
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave:
                          The expression I sent you does just that: it will locate the text you are looking for within the memo field. As to copy/paste, you would have to do that part manually or add another script.

For example, if you are looking for a sub-text "name: John Doe" and since you do not know the name beforehand, you would look just for "name" which will be followed by "John Doe", then you would, manually, copy "John Doe" to the desired field.

If you wish to automate the process where the script will find the the sub-text that follows "name" and copy it to a field, it's possible by finding the location of name in the RTF and then copy from that point forward. Problem is, How much forward? I am afraid, this part is probably impossible to do with a script for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that names come in all shapes, forms and lengths, but the fact that you might have "name" followed by a space, a colon, maybe a space & a colon or any other format. Not only the script wouldn't know where the name ends, it won't know where it begins. I am afraid that part has to be done manually unless you are willing to write an extensive script that ignores spaces, colon, semicolon, coma etc which will tell the script where to begin copying, and even if you do that, I do not see how you could tell it where to stop copying. There is a good reason why databases are made of fields. If what you wish to accomplish is a fully automated process that runs down the memos, pluck the pertinent information and store it in the pertinent fields, I am afraid that falls under "Artificial Intelligence" which I have heard about and have been waiting for, for the last 25 years and it has yet to arrive.

Nothing in your question suggests being novice by the way!

Comment

I guess, I was writing my reply at the same time Tom was writing his and did not have a chance to read Tom's reply beforehand. That happens in this board particularly with slow-typists like myself.

Comment

Dave,

If each target word is in a line by itself, and if each target word always begins two characters after the colon, and if each line ends with a crlf pair, I think your goal is attainable. Do you have some sample memo field data you can post, or compose for testing?

-- tom

ps? sinical? And, yes. I'm still in L.A. (Lutz Area).

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                              X