Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memo field in Grid with update function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memo field in Grid with update function

I have a memo field in a grid with an update function. This field has text in it (a list of tasks to be done) but when I select update to ADD appropriate repair comments made to the memo field, the original text disappears. There is a totally blank memo field in the update form. I can add new text & save it.

When I return to the Grid I see the text I just added but not the "original" text.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

DeWayne

Re: Memo field in Grid with update function

Ooooops. Made a mistake. I should have referred to a "Detail View". The disappearing of the memo field from the Grid happens. I can type in new text in the detail view. Save the change, go back to Grid and my change in the memo field is there but NOT the original text in the memo.

Comment

Still have this problem. I can NOT add text to a memo field WITHOUT losing the original text. Tried this on a number of DBF's with the same result. The change is saved but if I edit the memo again, the initial text DISAPPEARS.

Comment

Originally posted by dchiass View Post
        Still have this problem. I can NOT add text to a memo field WITHOUT losing the original text. Tried this on a number of DBF's with the same result. The change is saved but if I edit the memo again, the initial text DISAPPEARS.
        Is this because all the text is already highlighted and you're just overwriting it? If that's the case, then just click the text area and hit "End key" first. Sorry if this misses the mark.

Comment

I've had this problem, but I solved it with this:

Code:

dim old_note as c
          old_note = iif(DataSubmitted.NOTE <> "",DataSubmitted.NOTE + crlf(),"")
          DataSubmitted.NOTE = old_note + "This is my new note. It will come after the old portion."
          I hope this helps.

I just remembered that the grid I have this in uses the note field to insert system notes. It is not used by the user to add anything. I'm not sure if this has the same effect in that situation.

Stephen
          Last edited by StephenP; 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM. Reason: New thought occured to me...
          Stephen Pilon
          Associate Librarian
          Christendom College

Comment

Thanks I will have my programmer look at this.

BTW, the field (memo) is a list of tasks to be done on a WORK REQUEST in a maintenance department. When the repair is done, the worker adds comments of any extra tasks he did at the bottom.

Obviously, they do NOT want the initial list of tasks to disappear. We can add text to this memo field on the desktop aka it works as expected.

This MAJOR problem is when we do the change via the WEB server application.

It has us stumped!!!!!

dewayne

Comment

I don't know if we discovered a BUG in Alpha5 or it is working properly but we figured out what was happening.

The grid which has a MEMO field on it & has a detail view which is updateable. But when we try to UPDATE the memo field in the detail view the existing memo text disappears. A pain when you want to keep a running list of maintenance tasks.

In the Detail View properties, "In Display Options" we had ticked "Pre-fetch data for detail view. All the other "non-memo" field data comes across & can be changed. Its just the memo DATA aka disappearing original text.

If we REMOVE the Pre-fetch option, the memo text comes across like it should & can be added to...

How come it CAN'T pre-fetch existing memo field data?????? We thought the Pre-fetch option sped things up which we need as the WEB version runs like a SLUG...

dewayne

Comment

Well, I'm a real newbie to the WAS; I'm not a real programmer; maybe I'm totally missing your issue; I'm probably being totally simplistic, but I have a database table called LOG. It has a Memo field, and for its grid I simply use the TextArea control type in the Fields Display Settings. See the attached JPG.

I am able to go back and edit, and even add to each log entry without any special coding. This doesn't consider any speed issues, so I don't know if this helps or not.

Ed

Comment

My case is different as I have a detail view which is the part that I am changing. It is here that the "original" memo text disappears. I can add another note/memo and it gets saved to the "Grid" but if I try to update/change this record again this comment disappears and I end up with a totally BLANK memo field in the detail view.

Thanks for the help though....

I have removed the pre-fetch and things "seem to" work but slower.

dewayne

Originally posted by sherrel View Post
                  Well, I'm a real newbie to the WAS; I'm not a real programmer; maybe I'm totally missing your issue; I'm probably being totally simplistic, but I have a database table called LOG. It has a Memo field, and for its grid I simply use the TextArea control type in the Fields Display Settings. See the attached JPG.

I am able to go back and edit, and even add to each log entry without any special coding. This doesn't consider any speed issues, so I don't know if this helps or not.

Ed

Comment

Afte 18 months - I have to tell you pre-fetch (I know Selwyn loves$ it, BUT it,) does not work properly - don't use it.
                    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I had similar probems with pre-fetch & memos, and abandoned it. Although pre-fetch is great otherwise, it's just too slow on the initial load.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Folks for the headsup!!!!

I too have stopped using "pre-feetch" as many of my data files have a small memo field to add a comment and a couple have running histories of a project. I would not want a user to have a machines history to be wiped out due to a prob in Alpha5.

dewayne

Comment

Working...
                        X