Alpha Video Training

Thread: Memo field in Grid with update function

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Default Memo field in Grid with update function

I have a memo field in a grid with an update function. This field has text in it (a list of tasks to be done) but when I select update to ADD appropriate repair comments made to the memo field, the original text disappears. There is a totally blank memo field in the update form. I can add new text & save it.

When I return to the Grid I see the text I just added but not the "original" text.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

DeWayne

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Default Re: Memo field in Grid with update function

Ooooops. Made a mistake. I should have referred to a "Detail View". The disappearing of the memo field from the Grid happens. I can type in new text in the detail view. Save the change, go back to Grid and my change in the memo field is there but NOT the original text in the memo.

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Still have this problem. I can NOT add text to a memo field WITHOUT losing the original text. Tried this on a number of DBF's with the same result. The change is saved but if I edit the memo again, the initial text DISAPPEARS.

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by dchiass View Post
    Still have this problem. I can NOT add text to a memo field WITHOUT losing the original text. Tried this on a number of DBF's with the same result. The change is saved but if I edit the memo again, the initial text DISAPPEARS.
    Is this because all the text is already highlighted and you're just overwriting it? If that's the case, then just click the text area and hit "End key" first. Sorry if this misses the mark.

Real Name
    Stephen Pilon

I've had this problem, but I solved it with this:

Code:

dim old_note as c
    old_note = iif(DataSubmitted.NOTE <> "",DataSubmitted.NOTE + crlf(),"")
    DataSubmitted.NOTE = old_note + "This is my new note. It will come after the old portion."
    I hope this helps.

I just remembered that the grid I have this in uses the note field to insert system notes. It is not used by the user to add anything. I'm not sure if this has the same effect in that situation.

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenP; 01-24-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: New thought occured to me...
    Stephen Pilon
    Associate Librarian
    Christendom College

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Thanks I will have my programmer look at this.

BTW, the field (memo) is a list of tasks to be done on a WORK REQUEST in a maintenance department. When the repair is done, the worker adds comments of any extra tasks he did at the bottom.

Obviously, they do NOT want the initial list of tasks to disappear. We can add text to this memo field on the desktop aka it works as expected.

This MAJOR problem is when we do the change via the WEB server application.

It has us stumped!!!!!

dewayne

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

I don't know if we discovered a BUG in Alpha5 or it is working properly but we figured out what was happening.

The grid which has a MEMO field on it & has a detail view which is updateable. But when we try to UPDATE the memo field in the detail view the existing memo text disappears. A pain when you want to keep a running list of maintenance tasks.

In the Detail View properties, "In Display Options" we had ticked "Pre-fetch data for detail view. All the other "non-memo" field data comes across & can be changed. Its just the memo DATA aka disappearing original text.

If we REMOVE the Pre-fetch option, the memo text comes across like it should & can be added to...

How come it CAN'T pre-fetch existing memo field data?????? We thought the Pre-fetch option sped things up which we need as the WEB version runs like a SLUG...

dewayne

Real Name
    S. Edmund Johnson

Well, I'm a real newbie to the WAS; I'm not a real programmer; maybe I'm totally missing your issue; I'm probably being totally simplistic, but I have a database table called LOG. It has a Memo field, and for its grid I simply use the TextArea control type in the Fields Display Settings. See the attached JPG.

I am able to go back and edit, and even add to each log entry without any special coding. This doesn't consider any speed issues, so I don't know if this helps or not.

Ed

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

My case is different as I have a detail view which is the part that I am changing. It is here that the "original" memo text disappears. I can add another note/memo and it gets saved to the "Grid" but if I try to update/change this record again this comment disappears and I end up with a totally BLANK memo field in the detail view.

Thanks for the help though....

I have removed the pre-fetch and things "seem to" work but slower.

dewayne

Quote Originally Posted by sherrel View Post
    Well, I'm a real newbie to the WAS; I'm not a real programmer; maybe I'm totally missing your issue; I'm probably being totally simplistic, but I have a database table called LOG. It has a Memo field, and for its grid I simply use the TextArea control type in the Fields Display Settings. See the attached JPG.

I am able to go back and edit, and even add to each log entry without any special coding. This doesn't consider any speed issues, so I don't know if this helps or not.

Ed

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

Afte 18 months - I have to tell you pre-fetch (I know Selwyn loves$ it, BUT it,) does not work properly - don't use it.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I had similar probems with pre-fetch & memos, and abandoned it. Although pre-fetch is great otherwise, it's just too slow on the initial load.

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

Thanks Folks for the headsup!!!!

I too have stopped using "pre-feetch" as many of my data files have a small memo field to add a comment and a couple have running histories of a project. I would not want a user to have a machines history to be wiped out due to a prob in Alpha5.

dewayne