Alpha Video Training

Thread: "Loaded" Question

Real Name
    Ron Richardson

Default "Loaded" Question

Is Alpha 5 Desktop worth the money..and is it realy that much easier and faster to develop in than MS-Access? Also, is it actually comparable 'power' wise to access?

I have access. I have been looking for an application to meet a need thats been around for a several years and have yet to find one. I keep thinking I will sit down and develop the app using access, but I don't ever seem to have the time to deal the learning curve. Right now I use a pieced together Approach(remeber that from Lotus) database and a seperate commericial software because it gives me short term results. But I need something to handle this data long term.

I can work with access but not at the level that the application requires and from what I have read the learning curve for Alpha 5 is a lot flatter and easier than access. I am the only one that will be using it, so webserver, multi-user, ect. is not an issue.

Thoughts? Also, is there a listing somewhere that talks about applications others have developed? The application I need is an asset tracker, IT support request tracker, inventory tracking, serial number tracking, RMA tracking, invoicing program. I have found lots that do one or two, but not one that will do it all.

Turkeypaw21(Ron R.)

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default Re: "Loaded" Question

You could definitely make a custom app to do what you describe with alpha -

Real Name
    Arlen Troup

Just my opinion...

A number of years ago I used Access to create some relatively simple databases. About the same time I started using Alpha Five and for me it was much, much easier to use and I could do things with A5 that I could not figure out how to do in Access.

However, I did see a demo of an Access database developed by a group in Germany that was very impressive. Even so, I think the same application could have been easily created using Alpha Five.

Although you can develop some good applications with only a modest amount of experience with A5 I believe you need to become proficient with the xbasic language in A5 in order to create the best applications, especially if you have some complex requirements.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Is Alpha 5 Desktop worth the money.

The trial version is FREE for 30 days. Download it and try it. Once you try it, I think you will decide to but it.

Jim