Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report line spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report line spacing

I have a client that would like a blank line inserted after every ten detail records are listed. I have absolutely no idea to accomplish this. Any ideas?

The report is broken down into groups and the detail section is currently displaying with single spacing. It is the detail section where I need to have an extra blank line inserted after every 10th record.

Thanks
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Re: Report line spacing

This rings a bell. Check newsletter, www.learn alpha.com, and of course this msg board.

Off hand I'd think in terms of a conditional object that would have two layers. One would be empty, the other containing the line. Set the condition expression so that it is true every 10 records. I'd think the MOD() function would be useful there. Were it not for your groups I'd think MRECNO() could be used to get a row counter, and perhaps it can. I'm thinking if the row count divided by ten has a remainder of zero you show the line. Otherwise you don't. With groups they probably want to reset the beginning row count with each group break, so I'm not sure how to do that, but you'll think of something! Oh, the CO needs to be set to shrink if empty.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks for the ideas Tom. I found:

http://www.learn alpha.com/fancyrepo...ncyreports.htm

That may do what the client needs.

Thanks again.
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

I found two issues with this idea and had to remove the break in 10 records group.

Is there a way to accomplish this task without having the repeating detail header repeat on the break after every 10 records?

Having the break in 10 record group set up also caused my report footer to print above my last group footer in the report :(
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl,

Brute force: Copy the records to a temp table. Insert new records with blank fields (other than field required for grouping) every 10 records. Base report on the temp table.

-- tom

Comment

Although I am not a big fan of 'brute force' LOL, I am not sure I could even do what you are suggesting as there are several different groups within the report. I don't think I could possibly figure out where my 10th record would end up?

Example: one report has the following group hierachy

Company, cust_po, ship_num, model .... then the detail

Can you guide me as to how I could determine that hierachy so that I could add the blank record after the 10th spot?
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl, I'm thinking of a single flat table that resembles the composite records Alpha develops in its sets. Populate the table, one row at a time. Grouping the records manually. Insert partially blank rows when needed. Open the default browse for your set to see what I'm talking about. This is a big project. Not sure the cost will outweigh the perceived benefit.

Shifting gears...
              I wonder if a conditional object that contains only a blank row might be used? The MOD() of the running count divided by 10 might be an easy way to tell the report layout when the CO should be displayed. You'd condition the CO so that if the result of MOD() is zero you display the blank line, otherwise you don't.

-- tom

Comment

Cheryl/Tom:

I haven't followed this thread nor read all replies but it seems like an interesting unique challenge.

Here is a very simple way to accomplish this.

Comment

And what is your simple way Gabe?
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Sorry, forgot to attach the zip file while responding to another thread.
                    The zip file has few other things not relevant to your thread. Go to Reports, print "Cheryl"
                    Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gabe. The rtf object with a calculated field gave me the results that the client was looking for.
                      Cheryl
                      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

What the heck!........... let's go all the way..!
                        Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the effort Gabe, but my client does not want color coding :)
                          Cheryl
                          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Would some kind soul mind explaining how that worked? I downloaded the example database, but alas, this poor neophyte just can't figure it all out... It's something I would also find very useful, and and probably many others. I checked out the method Dr. Wayne used, but I don't like the repeating header. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Shawn,

Right click on the report and open it in design mode. What Gabe did was create an rtf object and place the calculated field into that object.

Code:
                              blank = if(mod(run_count(Item),10)=0,crlf(2),"")
                              From the help files:

Remainder as N = MOD( Numerator as N, Denominator as N )
                              MOD() returns the remainder of the numerator after being divided by the denominator.

CRLF( [ Count as N ] )
                              The CRLF() function inserts the carriage return and line feed characters into a string.
                              Gabe's sample places the blank line after 10 records. He is calculating a running count of the 'Item' field. When that count is 10 the result of the mod is = 0, so the crlf(2) inserts two carriage returns giving us a blank line. If the item running count is anything but 10, then the "" is used which simply returns a null value without any carriage returns.

If you want the blank line after 5 or 15 or 20 records, replace the 10 in the above sample with the number of records you want the blank line to be inserted after.

If you have groupings, change the expression for the group that you want the running count in. For one of my reports, the expression looks like this:

Code:
                              blank = if(mod(run_count(Serial_Num,GRP->Model),[COLOR=Red]10[/COLOR])=0,crlf(2),"")
                              My detail section where I need the blank line inserted after 10 records is under the group name of Model. If you review the calculated field it is doing the following:

run_count(Serial_Num,GRP->Model) - this is giving us a running count of the records based on the serial_num field in the model group. The mod is dividing the result of the running count value by 10 ... see the red above.

Code:
                              ?mod(1,10)
                              = 1

?mod(2,10)
                              = 2

?mod(10,10)
                              = 0
                              The if statement is saying that if the result is equal to '0', then crlf(2), else ""

So, when my running count is the 10th record, the value will equal 0 and the crlf(2) will insert two carriage returns providing us with a blank line. When the record number is 1-9, then the =0 is false, and the expression will simply give a null value "".

I hope that helped.
                              Cheryl
                              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Working...
                              X