Alpha Video Training

Thread: Health Marriage Initiative - design

Real Name
    John Dodson

Default Health Marriage Initiative - design

Hi Folks,

I work for a non-profit and we have recently been awarded a pilot contract for a "Healthy Marriage Initiative" and I need to design a database to track many things. I'd like to run by some of the design aspects I'm considering to make sure that I am approaching it correctly - it gets pretty complicated - at least for my little brain... so any pointers appreciated.

The clients are married couples with children and the activities and outcomes we will be tracking may apply to the couple as a unit, to either of the partners or to the children. So, I think I need 3 databases to do this:

Clients
    client_id
    clinet_hh (a head of household field to differentiate the two partners)

Children
    child_id

Family
    Fam_id
    Fam_description (a unique description that can be used in a picklist, many couples names will be similar, so any suggestions here?)
    client_id1
    client_id2
    child_id1
    child_id2
    child_id3
    etc

I'd like to make the Family database as easy as possible to build by using a browse object in the form. The Family has to be able to be easily picked as the Couple will be attending Marriage Training Sessions(classes) and their attendance as a couple must be logged (they cannot attend as individuals).

Does this approach make sense? Any better approaches?

Thanks!
    John

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default Re: Health Marriage Initiative - design

John,

You might want to consider a Family_ID field on both the adult and children tables so that you can tie the adult family members and the children family members to one family. That way, you can show the family information at the top of the form and the browse can display the members' information.

Other 'issues' will come up as you progress through your design and implementation phases. The more time you spend at the front thinking things through, the less time you will spend having to redo thing later on.

Just a suggestion and good luck.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    John Dodson

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have a Fam_ID - forgot to include them in the above. And you are right about those "issues" ;) . What I've decide to do (at least today) is to create the head of Household record first and build a family ID based on a combination of fields from this record - and then add the Spouse and Children records and autofilling the Family ID. The Hed of Household and the Spouse are in the same file -- so there may be a few issues there, but I think that can be done.

Thanks again (I'll modify my structure above and add a Family ID)

Ooops, too late to edit the above.

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

John,

You are absolutely on the right track. Attack the design one step at a time. Get the Head of Household table (not record) designed and working the way you want. Then add the second table and get it working to your requirements and repeat the process with the other table/tables.

If you work on all the tables, forms, sets, etc., at one time, it will be extremely difficult to identify the cause of a problem that pops up - and they will pop up. Focusing on one piece of the puzzle at a time will save you time in the long run.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.