Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memo field as Form Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memo field as Form Letter

I want to allow users to create their own form letters by utilizing a memo field in a file created just for this purpose and then allowing them to choose the appropriate text at runtime through an Xdialog record list-list box.

I need for this text to combine with a name-address file that is not related to the form letter file (like a mail merge).

Is this a reasonable construct?

I am having difficulty in passing the memo to the report in question (it is based on the name-address file). I tried using a shared or global memo variable, but it seems that either dim is not allowed or I haven't figured out how to phrase my code.

I have not seen anything similar to this on the message board.

I would very much appreciate either enlightenment in some other direction or assistance in this process.

To this point I have the Xdialog box and the report. I need to have the report see the selected memo.

Thank you very much for your time and response.

Re: Memo field as Form Letter

Fred

Please post what you have so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.....
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Attached is a streamlined version of what I'm doing. There are 2 files a-business and a-business_letter. The form acd_business contains a button for printing that has action scripting attached to invoke input to select the letter to print. There is a script to find the corresponding letter record and transfer the memo to the associated report. The attempt to get the selected letter is failing at that point--declaring a shared or global memo produces an error, and I don't know of another way of making the memo visible to the report that follows. The report has a rich text field where I am anticipating dropping the Memo to serve as the text of the letter.

Any assistance is most appreciated.

Comment

Fred

I would suggest that you have another approach to this. Something to the effect of a table with the business info, memo field and the date time that the printing occured.

That would give you a record of what you've printed and either put all of thie infomation into one table or at least into one set. Then the report is much easier to write.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Fred,
            I revised something I had in the background that used MSWord as a document resource for a mail merge for letters derived in A5. I will attach. Play with it and if you have questions, holler back. These are the important points.

1. Attached is a Word template. I had to rename it to be Letterhead.doc. . This is really a .dot file. The upload does not support .dot files.

2. Create a folder on the C:drive= Letterhead, change the name of this file to Letterhead.dot and path make sure the path for the tempate is c:\Letterhead\Letterhead.dot.

Building the Letter must take place in the Letter form. Other notes are in canvas boxes on the form. Play and enjoy..

Mike W
            Mike W

Comment

Fred:
              Open your form, highlight "Fred Sidesl", print.
              Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Gabriel,

Fred has this in his letter:

...print some sort of a letter to a bunch of people
                I think I'm only seeing a one-letter-at-a-time process with your example.

Mike W
                Mike W

Comment

Mike:
                  You could print it to as many people as you want. Just change the filter to reflect that.

I thought his issue is in passing the memo to the letter not on how to print to a bunch of people.

I am having difficulty in passing the memo to the report in question

Comment

Mike:
                    You could print it to as many people as you want. Just change the filter to reflect that.
                    Gabriel,

I am going to assume you mean this filter in the print button:

Code:
                    'Date Created: 31-Aug-2006 01:41:50 AM
                    'Last Updated: 31-Aug-2006 10:51:56 AM
                    'Created By  : Gabriel
                    'Updated By  : WilsonJM
                    record_number = current_record_number()
                    [COLOR="Red"]query.filter = "" [/COLOR]           [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] 'recno() = " + record_number[/COLOR]
                    query.order = ""

:letter.preview("Gabriel",query.filter,query.order)
                    Give that a change on your end and then test it and see what happens.

The only way I could make this work is a 1:M set with the Parent being the memo(letter) and the Child the addresses, and have the value of the link field for all the adresses chosen to print be dynamically changed to the unique value of the link field of the parent Memo. You can see this in the example I submitted. Your finesse might achieve a slicker process, but I couldn't come up with one.

Mike W
                    Mike W

Comment

Mike:
                      I haven't looked at your example. I will later when I have more time.

Here is a very simple way to do this with the current setting. There are other, a little more sophisticated ways to do the same, but in the end will accomplish the same results.
                      Double-click the row to choose, it will be highlighted. To "un-choose" a highlighted row, double-click it.

This is done in a bit of a haste, it could be refined later.
                      Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

The approach illustrated here might help:

http://www.learn alpha.com/TextBlock/TextBlock.htm

-- tom

Comment

Gabriel,

Yes, I used a similar double-click method (attached). The point I am trying to make is that the memo field is not attaching to each addressee. The letters are all different because of the linkage thing I discussed above.

The attached uses a Adressess:Memo 1:1 for the Memo production. This memo uniqueid (refnum) is then attached to all the addressees for a reverse set, Memo:Adressee 1:M for the selection of the addressees, and for the 'mail merge', preview-print.

Mike W
                          Mike W

Comment

Mike:
                            The point I am trying to make is that the memo field is not attaching to each addressee. The letters are all different because of the linkage thing I discussed above.
                            I am not quite clear from Fred's questions if he wants to send the same letter to a group of addressee? If that is the case, then why would he have a separate memo attached to each addressee's record?!

If he wants to send a "form letter" to a bunch of addressees with the same memo, then he needs to:
                            a-create a separate table for the memos to be sent
                            b-Create a set with the memo as parent, addressee as child
                            c-Create a letter based on the set, print the letter filtered with the chosen addressees.

I thought his original question was that he could not get the memo to show in the letter!

Once again, I have not opened your zip file, but if that's what you are illuding to, then you are on the right track. I was simply trying to help him with incorporating the memo in the letter.

Comment

Gabriel,

Actually, I might have jumped to the wrong conclusion with his words "form letter" and "print some sort of a letter to a bunch of people". I'm putting that together as a 'mass mailing' thing, but looking back at his original example, it's not clear, and you might be more on track than me.

If that is the case, then why would he have a separate memo attached to each addressee's record?!
                              I took it to be that this is one of the reason he was having problems.

Your description is just what I set up. From your and my stuff, he should be on his way.

Mike W
                              Mike W

Comment

Working...
                              X