Alpha Video Training

Thread: How hard is it to convert existing database?

Real Name
    Stacy

Default How hard is it to convert existing database?

We have an existing database we created in version 5 that we now want to use on a web server. I have read the trail guide on setting up the WAS and that sounds rather simple to do. But my concern is more with the database itself. Most of the documentation I have read concerns creating a new database, not something already existing. How hard is it? (I've read other posts on here, some of you might have to "dumb it down" for a simple person like me to understand.) Will we basically have to re-write or code everything, or is it more an issue of just creating an html interface?

Thanks,
    Stacy

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: How hard is it to convert existing database?

Stacy,

Your dbf files are ok as is. You can use sets for your existing reports (only). Everything else has to be recreated on the WAS. Look for a major performance hit compared to the desktop - hopefully that will improve in v.8. The WEB is TOTALLY different from the desktop.

Real Name
    Stacy

Well, that doesn't make me feel any better, but thanks for the reply. ;-) Thats what I need to know.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Stacy, many significant Alpha WAS applications have been built from existing A5 applications. The Web is slower in almost all cases, regardless of whose programming language you are using. The Internet is -- and will always be -- slower than operating on a LAN with your database directly attached to your client computer. There are some significant improvements to speed coming in V8 (I hear) in terms of how fast it fetches data and repaints your screen and how it processes xbasic. But there is no need to wait for v8, v7 is plenty fast both in terms of the development process, and in terms of operation. That said, it will be slower than if you used some of the other programming languages that require hand-coding, but those languages, and this is Alpha's strong point, are not accessible to most non-programmers.

Your web application will probably be more simple than your desktop application. The nature of browser-based does not lend itself to creating as elaborate interface as you could develop on the desktop.

If you have A5 version 7, then you can try your hand at building a web application right now. v7 (maybe v6, I can't recall) comes with the ability to build your complete application, but just for local computer use.

If you want, go to my website and sign up for the Webinar on Building A Web Application. Its every wednesday at noon west coast time.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)