Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Drop/Detach (get rid of!) a query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop/Detach (get rid of!) a query

Below is some code that creates a query. Works fine except for one thing: If the query is null or just as a test if the user says "Yes" to "Drop the Query?", I do not want the query to be there the next time the table is opened. In this case, if you run this and then go to tables in the Control Panel and open the table (or open any form based on the table) this query is not only still there, it is still applied to the browse or the form. How do I get rid of the $%#@! thing? I must be forgetting/missing something horribly simple.

dim tbl as p
    dim qry as P
    dim nrecs as N
    tbl = table.open("funded")
    'filter = query_filter_get("Arms change query")
    query.filter = "Arm1st_Dt>Date()"
    query.order = ""
    query.options = ""
    query.description = "Test query"
    qry=tbl.query_create()

nrecs = qry.records_get()
    IF (nrecs = 0) then
    qry.drop()
    ui_msg_box("Null Query","There are no records in the Query")
    query.order = ""
    query.filter = ""
    END
    end if
    response = ui_msg_box("","Drop Query?",UI_YES_NO)
    if UI_NO_SELECTED
    end
    else
    tbl.index_primary_put()
    qry.drop()
    tbl.query_detach_all()
    end if
    tbl.close()

Re: Drop/Detach (get rid of!) a query

Ray

Check out the query.options documentation.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Raymond,

Your code always runs NO as the button pushed for your message box. Try this for the end part of your code. Then it will work for you.

Code:
      qdrop_result=ui_msg_box("QDROP","DROP QUERY?",UI_YES_NO+ UI_FIRST_BUTTON_DEFAULT+ UI_INFORMATION_SYMBOL)
      'Test to see which button on the message box was pressed....
      SELECT
      	CASE qdrop_result = UI_NO_SELECTED
      		qdrop_NO_Button= .t.
      		ui_msg_box("","NO SELECTED")
      		end
      	CASE qdrop_result = UI_YES_SELECTED
      		qdrop_YES_Button= .t.
      		ui_msg_box("","YES SELECTED")
      		tbl.index_primary_put()
      		qry.drop()
      		tbl.query_detach_all()
      END SELECT

tbl.close()
      Mike W
      Mike W

Comment

Raymond,
        I also think that the code leaves a session of the table open if there are no recs in the query, either send the script to the end just before the table.close() (red in below script) or add a tbl.close() before you end the script at that point.

Code:
        dim tbl as p
        dim qry as P
        dim nrecs as N
        query.order = ""
        query.options = ""
        qry=tbl.query_create()

nrecs = qry.records_get() 
        IF (nrecs = 0) then
            qry.drop() 
            query.order = ""
            query.filter = ""
            [COLOR="red"]GOTO ZERORECS[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Blue"]'END [/COLOR]
        END IF

qdrop_result=ui_msg_box("QDROP","DROP QUERY?",UI_YES_NO+ UI_FIRST_BUTTON_DEFAULT+ UI_INFORMATION_SYMBOL)
        SELECT
        		qdrop_NO_Button= .t.
        		end
        		qdrop_YES_Button= .t.
        		tbl.index_primary_put()
        		qry.drop()
        		tbl.query_detach_all()
        END SELECT
        [COLOR="red"]ZERORECS:[/COLOR]
        tbl.close()
        I prefer using a5_get_records_in_query() method:

Code:
        dim tbl as p
        dim qry as P
        dim nrecs as N

nrecs = a5_get_records_in_query("funded","Arm1st_Dt>Date()")
         IF nrecs=0 then
        	end 
         ELSE
        	query.order = ""
        	query.options = ""
        	qry=tbl.query_create()

SELECT
        			qdrop_NO_Button= .t.
        			end
        			qdrop_YES_Button= .t.
        			tbl.index_primary_put()
        			qry.drop()
        			tbl.query_detach_all()
        	END SELECT
        	tbl.close()
        END IF
        Mike W
        Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson
          Your code always runs NO as the button pushed for your message box. Try this for the end part of your code. Then it will work for you.
          Mike,

Good lord! In my haste in typing a test I left out "response = ".

However, that does not do it, which makes me wonder what qry.drop() query.detach() are for if they do not work in this situation. Hopefully someone can explain.

Al,

Thanks. Putting in the "N" flag as in qry=tbl.query_create("N") does the trick by not saving the query in the registry. I can probably just drop all the other stuff (have not tried that yet though)

Ray

Comment

Thanks again Mike, but see my response above. The spurious END I would have caught and is due to my first test using table.current() where I wanted to leave the table open. In any case, it looks like the only thing that works as I want it to is the "N" flag Al pointed me to.

Ray

Comment

Ray

Glad that worked.

I noticed that you also had a line of code:

query.options=""

What I was thinking of is:

query.options="N"
              qry=tbl.query_create()

Where the "N" is placed in the dot variable query.options

It's a slight difference that ties the two lines of code together. While you can write the code as:

qry=tbl.query_create("N")

my quess is that the "N" in the query_create will cause the dot variable query.options to be ignored.

Subtle, but might be an issue for someone.
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz
                Ray....
                What I was thinking of is:

query.options="N"
                qry=tbl.query_create()

Where the "N" is placed in the dot variable query.options

It's a slight difference that ties the two lines of code together. While you can write the code as:

qry=tbl.query_create("N")

my quess is that the "N" in the query_create will cause the dot variable query.options to be ignored.

Subtle, but might be an issue for someone.
                Al, I first tried query.options="N" but for whatever reason that did not work. When I put the "N" in qry=tbl.query_create("N"), it worked. Go figure!

Thanks again.

Ray

Comment

Raymond,

I got a sequence to detach a query reliably. See if this helps.

Mike W
                  Mike W

Comment

Mike,

Thanks. Your code:

'' Reset the query
                    topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.filter_expression = ""
                    topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.order_expression = "LASTNAME+FIRSTNAME"
                    topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.query()
                    ' Get the table object from the form
                    tbl = topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.current()

certainly does what I need, as does Al's "N" flag, except unlike the "N" flag your code leaves the query there until the DB is reopened--which is OK for my purposes.

What I still do not understand is, since qry.drop() and/or query.detach() [or query.detach_all()] seem to do nothing in this context, what context are they for? I know somewhere in the past I have used them and they did what I wanted, but I do not have time to chase that down right now. Maybe someone can enlighten me (us)?

Thanks again.

Ray

Comment

Ray:
                      I am a bit confused about your objective:

1-Do you wish to simply detach the query(s)?
                      I do not want the query to be there the next time the table is opened
                      or
                      2-Get rid of the $%#@! thing?
                      How do I get rid of the $%#@! thing?
                      3-or both?
                      Assuming the answer is both, let's start with the $%#@! thing: I am not sure what that thing is, but a safe bet it's the query temp files. This might help (check last entry in the thread)
                      http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ble#post395336

Detach all queries does work:
                      I used Mike's zip file and added one more button: "Detach query from Gorilla Glue". It works.

Mike:
                      How do you recon that the bottom button on your zip file detach the queries? see the image! Pretty nice otherwise!
                      Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Gabriel,

No Go on detaching from gorilla glue with your button.

1. Push top query button. Answer dialog NO, and the table browse will display the table filtered.
                        2. Close browse window. Push your new 'detach from Gorilla Glue' button and then push the OPEN Browse button. The table is still filtered. Your script isn't doing it.

And the whole thing:
                        Code:
                        '' Reset the query
                           topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.filter_expression = ""
                           topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.order_expression = "LASTNAME+FIRSTNAME"
                           topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.query()
                        ' Get the table object from the form
                           tbl = topparent:tables:BIRTHDAYS.current()
                        Could really be replaced with:
                        Code:
                        'Turn off query in  in current form.
                        topparent.show_all()
                        Mike W

ps: Gabe, later, I'm going to post an example of the same scenerio that gave the error with your 'metals' example which has a child table level query filter =.t. and is responsible for generating an error.
                        Mike W

Comment

Mike:
                          First, calm yourself down then you will see things clear!
                          1. Push top query button. Answer dialog NO, and the table browse will display the table filtered.
                          2. Close browse window. Push your new 'detach from Gorilla Glue' button and then push the OPEN Browse button. The table is still filtered. Your script isn't doing it.
                          What does that have to do with detaching the queries?!

You say:
                          The table is still filtered
                          OFFCOURSE IT WILL HAVE THE SAME FILTER IT HAD BEFORE, until you change that to a different index/query or show all! You must not be quite clear on what query detach is supposed to do and must be confusing it with changing the index/query to show all. That is not what it is supposed to do, so you need to take a deep breath and try to understand. I thought the image I attached would explain what I meant, evidently you did not see what I mean, so let me spell it out:

a-query_detach_all DETACHS the query(s) from the table.
                          b-To verify whether or not the query(s) was detached, and this is the part that you are missing, press alpha's "Index" button from your tollbar, that will show you all indices/queries attached to the table. That is the image I sent. It was taken after pressing the bottom button and as you can see from the image, the query was still there.

Now, do whatever you want to do, then press the button I added, then press the index button, now you will see that the only thing there is recno. Any and every other query(s) you might have used, is gone. Get it?

BTW, I am not sure what is the problem with metals! I use it, I like it, never had any problem with, evidently Peter Wayne does too!

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel
                            Mike:
                            First, calm yourself down then you will see things clear! ...
                            Gabe,

Maybe you are the one who needs to calm down? As far as I am concerned your button is totally ineffective if it is supposed to do what I originally made pretty clear what I wanted--which is that when you close the form and next open the table the query is not applied, whether in another form or in the default browse from the Control Panel. I really did not care if it hung around until re-opening the DB, I just did not want it re-invoked unless the user chose to do so. Better yet, as the the "N" flag does, get rid of it entirely, right now, end of story.

When you press the index button on the toolbar the query indeed does not show up, which presumably means that if you re-open the Db it won't still be hanging around. But even if you Show All, the test query will still be there. Worse yet for what I wanted, it will be applied to whatever you open.

Ray

Edit: "which presumably means that if you re-open the Db it won't still be hanging around..." Actually, I am not at all sure that is what detach_all() is supposed to mean. I am no longer clear about what it is supposed to accomplish--or .drop() either.
                            Last edited by Raymond Lyons; 09-07-2006, 07:59 PM.

Comment

This might help clarify things a bit better:
                              The docs suggest that the most number of queries you could use on a row is 16, or something like that. That myth was busted. Read my past thread: "Me and you and a dog named Lou".

Alpha's solution to resolve this problem, i.e. if you anticipate getting stuck by using the allotted slots of queries, is to detach the queries so you would start from a clean slate, hence, queries_detach_all().

I used it as a matter of routine when running repeated queries, since in the past, if I did not, the system will hang at some point after running several queries.

With more recent builds of alpha, I came to realize that you do not even need it. Have not have an occasion where the system hang. But, it is not a bad idea to use it if you are running many complex queries on a row. It DOES not, clear the filter to show all. That's a horse of a different color!

Comment

Working...
                              X