Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Virtual Host Manager and WAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Host Manager and WAS

Greetings,

Has anyone successfully gotten a Windows based, Virtual Domain setup working with WAS?

I am referring to being able to use seperate registered domain names such as
    www.site1.com and www.site2.com
    as opposed to:
    www.site.com/site1 and www.site.com/site2

Regards,
    Keith
    Keith Weatherhead
    Discus Data, Ltd
    [email protected]

Re: Virtual Host Manager and WAS

Its very unlikely. You'd have to use software to build a virtual server with multiple domains on the same computer. I've seen a customer use Plesk (www.plesk.com) to create multiple domains on a Windows 2003 Server, and they host an Alpha WAS application on one of those domains. But its not their intent to run multiple WAS applications.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

I agree, that I will need additional software. I was looking for something along the lines of Plesk (thanx, for the tip as I hadn't found that one), however most of the solutions were on Unix/Linux platforms rather than Windows.

What I want the Virtual Host Manager (VHM) to do is to translate the incoming URL from www.site1.com to www.site.com/site1 to use with the WAS. I need to have multiple sub-sites and I want to be able to access the top level and several of the sub-levels directly. Do you think Plesk is able of handling this? $200 for 30 domains is acceptable as we only need about 12-15 for this project at the current time. Once it gets going, expanding to additional machines or a specific A5 hosting site would be options that can be explored if needed.

Thanx,
      Keith
      Keith Weatherhead
      Discus Data, Ltd
      [email protected]

Comment

When I modified my DNS record with NetworkSolutions to have my URL point to my WAS application, I was unable to create something like www.myurl.com = 122.12.12.12\thisapp. I was only allowed to point to the router's IP address, no subfolder. (I'm not an expert in this area). So to point to different apps, I have, as you pointed out, www.myurl.com/app1, www.myurl.com/app2. These are actually just test locations prior to delivery to the customer for hosting elsewhere.

Searching on "multiple domains on one server" I find lots of articles on the subject. Most are about Apache, but lots on Windows, all using product such as Plesk or Zope. There are also discussions on Microsoft.com regarding using Exchange to create multiple virtual domains, but MS knowledge base articles always leave me more confused.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding the question but it's definitely possible to run WAS and have multiple websites like www.site1.com and www.site2.com instead of www.site.com/site1 and www.site.com/site2.
          The Apache Module that I bought from Alpha showed me how to set it up.
          As far as setting up email, ftp, etc, like Plesk also does, those can be set up using the email software like mailenable which is free, and for an ftp server, I'll be using bulletproof which is what A5Online uses. It's something like $35.

It's not something that you would then have a customer of yours set up and use which is something Plesk can do, but if the question is multiple websites, then that works.

If I misunderstood the question, then just throw my answer in the garbage.

Alan

Comment

Alan, I think this is the appropriate answer, and a tested model. Can you tell me what bandwidth you are running in to your server? DSL, or T1, etc? Are you hosting it at your site, or at a hosting company? Also, does Apache model run on a Windows computer?
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I am hosting on a dedicated GoDaddy Windows 2003 server.
              The Apache module from Alpha runs on Windows and let's you have multiple websites being served from one server.
              I had set mine up and then had to shut it down and now I'm setting it up again, but I had run 2 sites to make sure it could be done. I will have 2-5 sites on it running in some manner within the next 2-3 days.
              My sites right now will be fairly small, but I'm just getting into web programming so I'm really bad at it so far.
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by asawyer13
                Maybe I'm not understanding the question but it's definitely possible to run WAS and have multiple websites like www.site1.com and www.site2.com instead of www.site.com/site1 and www.site.com/site2.
                The Apache Module that I bought from Alpha showed me how to set it up.
                As far as setting up email, ftp, etc, like Plesk also does, those can be set up using the email software like mailenable which is free, and for an ftp server, I'll be using bulletproof which is what A5Online uses. It's something like $35.

Alan
                Alan,

I think you underdstand it correctly !

To start out, I have 6 domains, 3 sets of .com and .net to protect the entity names. Naturally, I want: www.site1.[com|net] to go to the same place but different from the: site2 and site3 pairs.

What is this Apache Module you reference? How much does it cost?
                I will look into the "mailenable", thanx for that tip.
                I too have invested in BulletProof FTP Server so that end is covered.

I was looking for the piece to handle the web and eventually mail routing, as this is the last hurdle to getting online.

Regards,
                Keith
                Keith Weatherhead
                Discus Data, Ltd
                [email protected]

Comment

The Apache Module was $299.
                  It is purchased from Alpha.
                  When you say mail routing what exactly are you meaning?
                  Alan

Comment

When you say mail routing what exactly are you meaning?
                    Alan
                    Alan,

OK, so I need to purchase another AS component, hummm... I will look into that, thanx.

This project is still evolving. Currently,we need the 3 pairs of entities for the web site(s). But due to how some things are being designed going forward each of these entites may also have some mailboxes associated with them.

That part is not yet hammered out, but I could end up with, [email protected] and [email protected]. Could be several at each domain... I am trying to plan for it, so that if if it happens I have what I need in place.

In any case it will not be very big mail systems, maybe 25-100 mailboxes at the most. More than likely several will be for some sort of automated processing functionality.

Regards,
                    Keith
                    Keith Weatherhead
                    Discus Data, Ltd
                    [email protected]

Comment

Alan
                      Alan,

Is the Apache Module something current?
                      I cannot find it anywhere on the site.

Regards,
                      Keith
                      Keith Weatherhead
                      Discus Data, Ltd
                      [email protected]

Comment

They don't talk about it too much, but it exists and it is sold.
                        Alan

Comment

They don't talk about it too much, but it exists and it is sold.
                          Alan
                          THANX, Alan !!

My copy will be on the way shortly.

I wish this weren't quite the secret that it appears to be, if you need Virtual Hosting this is exactly what you need. Should be in their product store, guess they have too much money right now, huh?

Regards,
                          Keith
                          Keith Weatherhead
                          Discus Data, Ltd
                          [email protected]

Comment

I think it's a question of there being a need, which I think there is, and Alpha making it available, but not really being in a position to support it in their normal manner.
                            I should hopefully complete my set up tonight, so we can compare notes if needed.
                            Are you running this on your own machine? or a hosted machine?
                            Alan

Comment

I think it's a question of there being a need, which I think there is, and Alpha making it available, but not really being in a position to support it in their normal manner.
                              I should hopefully complete my set up tonight, so we can compare notes if needed.
                              Are you running this on your own machine? or a hosted machine?
                              Alan
                              Alan,

From what I see, it is custom and support would probably be mostly on a paid basis, would be my guess. After reading the docs it would appear to be pretty straight forward to do, once you have Apache setup. I could be wrong as I have not attempted it but I have read the docs completely and there really does not seem to be any surprises from the Alpha side of things.

Best of luck on getting your setup going, hope things go well.

I will be doing this on my machine, in a "sort of" co-location environment where I will actually have access to the physical machine and remote access to the router and system for configuration purposes.

Regards,
                              Keith
                              Keith Weatherhead
                              Discus Data, Ltd
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X