Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printing from Alpha Four ver 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Printing from Alpha Four ver 7

I uninstalled the second service pack for Windows XP. I still couldn't print anything from Alpha4V7, so that wasn't the problem presumably. Re-installing took a while, but it's all done.

I have kept up to date with Windows updates.

Now I'm wondering if my copy of Winagent is messed up.

TJ, I think I wrote that as soon as your files were opened the item printed, but they didn't stick in the spool directly for some reason. When I did a search for them they were not to be found.

Phil

Comment

Phil,

May I suggest two points? 1 - the copy of winagent is the one I sent you and it is good, at least it is on my computers. 2 - make sure that when you reference your version on Windows XP, you specify XP Home, since there are differences between the XP Pro and Home editions.

You say that you uninstalled the 'second service pack for Windows XP' yet you continually refer to Service Pack 3. Are the updates to WordPerfect that you refer to called 'updates' or 'service packs'?

The reason I'm asking is so that there is no unnecessary confusion when people offer suggestions to your printing problems.

Dave
      Dave Jampole
      www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Dave,

You are right that I've been using confusing language! I guess WordPerfect does have upgrades and Windows has Service Packs. I uninstalled Windows Home Service Pack 2 to see if that would make a difference: it didn't, so I reinstalled Service Pack 2 and updates since then.

I need to remove my Winagent.exe so that when I unzip yours it is in the right place. I suspect that already having a Winagent there keeps another one from replacing the original--if that is bad. I will try again with your Winagent.exe.

You wouldn't think I've been using Personal Computers for 25 years--and, in fact, I started AlphaFOUR with Ver. 1!

Phil

Comment

Phil,

Rather than removing your old copy of winagent.exe before installing the one I send, just rename it to something like winagent_old.exe. That way you will have your original copy plus the copy I sent - just in case.

How about renaming the A4V7 folder to something like A4V7_old and then reinstalling A4V7. That should install your original copy of winagent.exe. Now, you can copy the application folder (called database in A4 speak) to the NEW A4V7 folder. A problem might have cropped in in your original copy of A4V7, and if that's true, this reinstall should fix it.

Dave
          Dave Jampole
          www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Phil,

Lets slow down here a minute!!! Take one thing at a time.

In your message of 4:00 PM Yesterday you stated that when you unzipped the files I sent you they printed out and could not be found afterwards, is that correct?? You do not SPECIFICALLY state that you unzipped them to the spool folder, but I suspect you did, as I instructed to do that when I sent them.

If that is what happened then that is proof that there is nothing wrong with winagent because that is exactly what is supposed to happen!!

So then, if when you unzip the file(s) I sent, placing them in the spool folder, and they immediately print out on paper, then winagent is OK and you must look elsewhere for the trouble.

Check your printer configuration in Alpha4. Verify that the printer you are selecting is setup as a windows printer, NOT a DOS printer. If you try to print to a DOS printer and there is nothing connected to the port it is setup for then you will see precisely what you now seeing, that is the print job simply does nothing. I would try erasing the printer(s) setup IN ALPHA4 and re-creating a printer configuration IN ALPHA4, using the "Windows printer driver" selection for the printer you are currently using.

Comment

Thank you TJ and Dave for your help.

It is now working. Unfortunately, I can't tell you why!

I called HP/Compaq tech support to deal with this and a couple of other issues. The second tech said there was nothing to do but a recovery which involves reinstalling Windows as it was originally. That became somewhat difficult, but then I got a loop where it would restart over and over without getting to the desktop. With their help that is now overcome and I'm back to functioning.

This is little help to you, Dave, in advising your clients. Sorry.

I'm glad to be up and running again! It has involved many hours of work including reinstalling programs that were wiped out, but NOT my data thank goodness.

TJ, you were correct that I unzipped your file in the Spool directory. I did not realize that the files were supposed to be deleted--now I know.

Phil

Comment

Phil,

The main thing is that you are up and running.

Dave
                Dave Jampole
                www.customalpha.com

Comment

Working...
                X