Alpha Video Training

Thread: Newby needs help viewing and printing a list

Real Name
    Tim Turner

Default Newby needs help viewing and printing a list

I have searched through the messages here, and the help files attempting to find help for a procedure/script but I don't, as of yet, understand the program at all.

I managed to do this once, but have no idea how I did it. When I open A4V8, I am presented with the Main Menu and am able to use the program for what I need everyday by clicking on VIEW ENTER RECORDS. However, I would like to simply view, compose and/or print off a list of just my customers names, addresses and phone numbers without all the other info/data fields in alphabetical order. The previous time I accomplished this I had to stop the process, but they weren't in alphabetical order anyway.

I also can select BROWSE in the main menu, a list appears of last names and other items, but the addresses are not there.

Did I miss the simple instructions somewhere as to how to accomplish this? Where is a good place to start reading and trying?

I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 and have printed off Customer Work Sheets and Master Sheets successfully setting the perimeters for the First Record to the Last Record entered, usually by date.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ;-)
    Thanks
    Tim

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default Re: Newby needs help viewing and printing a list

Tim,

From the main menu, select Layouts, Browse tables, Create/edit a browse table. If you previously created AND saved a browse (which is what you are talking about), it should be on the list. If not, you can created a new browse and select the fields you want to include and their relative order. You can save the new browse if you plan on reusing it.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    Tim Turner

Ok, I believe I have accomplished this. I'm able to view the newly designed browse table but it's blank. I'll see if I can figure out how to view it before I attempt to print it. No luck so far. When I want to print, I select PRINT, BROWSE TABLE etc correct? Then enter the "A" thru "Z"?

Thanks!
    Tim

Real Name
    Dave Jampole

Tim,

From the point at which you design the browse, click F7 and then select Record Selection and Print Settings. You can select various ranges of records to be included and save the various ranges, or you can select the range at print time.

Create a new browse, leave all the setting at their default values and you should see all the records in the browse. If there are records in the .dbf file (the table) and the browse is blank, you have a setting somewhere that is set to exclude all records.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    Tim Turner

Thanks Dave!

I'll work on this... as soon as I get a new printer cartridge now ;-(
    Tim

Real Name
    Tim Turner

Ok, I'm making progress on this... I think. I was able to print off a customer database list, but it had too many fields included and did not show what I needed on the page. So, I created a new Browser View and eliminated the unecessary fields, which I can view, but it will not print it all. It only prints 1 page. the first time in alphabetical order, the next time randomly and for the life of me, I can find no options for this. What could I be missing. It's only printing a thru b-something because that is all that will fit on the page. But when I select SEND TO SCREEN instead of printer, it renders them all, a to z but no way to print from there.

Thanks for any help
    Tim

Real Name
    Dave Jampole

Tim,

Hopefully this will make sense . . . viewing a list (customer, or whatever) from anything but a report is not the way to do it. A browse or form is simply a mechanism to help you view the records. If you want to output a list, design a report, include whichever fields you want, in whatever order you want them. If you do not filter the select records, you should see all the records in the report.

By filtering the selected records, I mean telling Alpha to include only a subset of the customer table - maybe only include records where state equals CA. You could also print all records where state is not equal to CA, which would give you all the customers from states other than CA.

Try designing a report and report back with the results (no pun intended).

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Real Name
    Tim Turner

Ok, I'll work on that next when I get the chance. Somehow, I was finally able to get it to print the list with the chosen fields, only name, address, phone and city omitting work number etc etc. About the 8th try, it worked, but it printed two complete lists and they were both different. One of them included more names per page etc etc. Very confusing indeed. It will work for now, but I'll try to work on your suggestions when I get the chance.

Again, I wished there was a class for this program here in town somewhere ;-)
    Thanks again
    Tim