Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five v8 - Major Release Coming

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five v8 - Major Release Coming

Overview of what to expect in the new and upcoming Alpha Five v8:

What’s Ahead in Alpha Five v8

Alpha Five v8 is a major new version of Alpha Five that has been in development for over 2 � years.

It represents the culmination of a passionate and innovative pursuit, on the part of our development team, to ensure that Alpha Five is the program of choice for creating state-of-the-art database solutions for both non programming professionals and developers.

Even though we were gratified by the selection of Alpha Five v7 as database of the year in December of 2005 we were not satisfied. In designing Alpha Five v8 we set ourselves the task of looking at every aspect of both the desktop and web functionality of Alpha Five and asking ourselves – "How can we make Alpha Five even better for our customers?"
    We think that when you start using Alpha Five v8 you will agree that our developers have taken their mission to heart – and have succeeded!
    • Operates and "feels" significantly faster. [video]
    • Lets you build applications that run significantly faster.
    • Offers a modern interface and new design tools that lets you build very professional and contemporary looking applications. [picture]
    • Offers powerful new browse features. [picture]
    • Includes new tools such as dockable "action panels" for added convenience and productivity. [picture]
    • Delivers very powerful yet easy ways to explore, manipulate and work with all flavors of SQL databases through the "universal database explorer" and Alpha "Data Access Objects" or DAO. (Think of it as ADO on steroids.)
    • Includes reporting on enterprise data.
    • Takes rapid web application development to the next level through innovations in Web Components and major performance boosts in the operation of Xbasic on the web.
    • Affords you new levels of security for your web applications through the new web application security framework.
    • Has important enhancements to Xbasic, Xdialog and Action Scripting.
    • And much more...
    For a limited time, Purchase Alpha Five version 7 from today onward and receive a full credit on your purchase when version 8 is released later this year.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Re: Alpha Five v8 - Major Release Coming

Coooooooooooooooool!!!!!
    Ren�
    Windows 7, V11

Comment

I also recieved the e-mail about alpha five version 8. Is it known what the upgrade policy and prices will be for just the simple upgrade to version 8. In the email it made it sound as though the person will own a copy of version 7 and 8.

Now is an exceptional time to purchase Alpha Five v7:

* If you don�t already own Alpha Five v7, this offer allows you to start using it right away, knowing that your investment will be credited back to you when you upgrade to Alpha Five v8.
      * If you already own Alpha Five v7, this gives you a unique chance to get additional licenses (or activations) for Alpha Five v7 and benefit from excellent savings now, AND get your investment fully credited back to you when you upgrade to Alpha Five v8.
      * Once version 8 comes out, your Alpha Five v7 licenses will of course remain valid for your continued use or you can then choose to pass them on to colleagues, friends and family members.

What if I just want to upgrade to version 8?

Comment

Shawn,

1) You can buy the 'extra' copy of V7 for the amount indicated in the mailing and have that amount credited to your purchase of V8 when it is release, or
        2) You can wait until V8 ships and buy it for the full price.

You pay the same with either option, but with option 2 you end up with an extra copy of V7. You can't loose either way.

Dave
        Last edited by davej; 10-13-2006, 09:23 PM. Reason: grammer change
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
          Shawn,

You pay the same with either option, but with option 2 you end up with an extra copy of V7. You can't loose either way.

Dave
          As much as the increasing use of "loose" for "lose" irritates me, it is nothing compared to the bizarre logic behind the statement that one can't lose either way. Alpha must be one of a literal handful of sotware makers who do not offer upgrade prices if what you say is true. I have dozens of applications on my PC and EVERY ONE of them offers some sort of discount for upgrades, as recognition of previous purchase. To learn that Alpha "rewards" customers by making them buy each new version at full price is extremely disappointing. While I am at a total loss to understand how you can say that being forced to either buy a superfluous 2nd licence for v7 or buy v8 at full price is a "can't lose" scenario, I am offended by the contempt for customers shown by this bizarre pricing policy on the part of Alpha. I consider such behaviour egregious profiteering, and devoutly hope that Alpha is not so base as to act this way.
          noho ora mai, ka kite ano
          http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

Comment

Alpha does and always has offered upgrade prices - this is just an extra goodie - when it comes out there will be an uipgrade discount for current owners. But if you don't already own a copy of V7, or would like to get an extra one, then the amount you will pay and thus get credited toward V8 will most likely be much more than the straight upgrade discount, plus you will have an extra license of V7.
            Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
              Alpha does and always has offered upgrade prices - this is just an extra goodie - when it comes out there will be an uipgrade discount for current owners. But if you don't already own a copy of V7, or would like to get an extra one, then the amount you will pay and thus get credited toward V8 will most likely be much more than the straight upgrade discount, plus you will have an extra license of V7.

Thank you. It made no sense to believe that would be no upgrade pricing for those who have no need or desire for an additional copy of v7. I'm sure that I am not the only one in this position, a position in which the total cost of buying an additional copy of v7 then paying the difference for v8 would almost certainly exceed the ocst of simply upgrading to v8.

Comment

Stuart,

Let's look as a simple example of Business 101. Announce a new product and there is a strong chance that your revenue stream on the previous version will dry up as potential customers wait for the new product to be released. Alpha is simply trying to maintain their income while devoting time, enery, effort AND resources to bringing the new product to market. Given that they are not a charity organization, you can certainly see the need for them to continue generating income and this latest offer simply provides that.

If buying the extra copy of V7 so offends your sensibilities, the answer is simple - don't. Wait until V8 ships with an upgrade price and buy it then. However, don't forget about users of V7 who might want an extra copy at a very favorable price, but do not want to upgrade their entire installation to V8. There are users who are still using two generation, three generation or older versions of Alpha because what they have completely meets their needs and/or they cannot justify the cost of upgrading. I still support a number of users who are quite happy to stay with the older DOS-based Alpha 4 product!

Dave
                Dave Jampole
                www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by davej View Post
                  Stuart,

Let's look as a simple example of Business 101. Announce a new product and there is a strong chance that your revenue stream on the previous version will dry up as potential customers wait for the new product to be released. Alpha is simply trying to maintain their income while devoting time, enery, effort AND resources to bringing the new product to market. Given that they are not a charity organization, you can certainly see the need for them to continue generating income and this latest offer simply provides that.

If buying the extra copy of V7 so offends your sensibilities, the answer is simple - don't. Wait until V8 ships with an upgrade price and buy it then. However, don't forget about users of V7 who might want an extra copy at a very favorable price, but do not want to upgrade their entire installation to V8. There are users who are still using two generation, three generation or older versions of Alpha because what they have completely meets their needs and/or they cannot justify the cost of upgrading. I still support a number of users who are quite happy to stay with the older DOS-based Alpha 4 product!

Dave

I have no problem with Alpha's current marketing promotion. However, when Shawwn Mason asked "what if you just want to upgrade?", you replied that there were only two options, neither of which was a straight upgrade price. It was that absence of an upgrade price that offended me, especially given the emphatic certainty of your phrasing, which indicated that there was no upgrade discount available.

Comment

Business 101? Is that what you call telling your current customers they can pay full price NOW for the latest release with no mention of an opportunity to upgrade the version they do have? Show me just one other major software company that pulls that kind of crap on it's customer base. Microsoft doesn't, neither does Filemaker. The vast majority of people on this planet could give a damn about getting another copy of yesterday's technology, what they want to know is that they are going to be taken care of when upgrades roll around. That's what loyal customers expect when they invest their time and money in a software company and it's products. I've invested over $600 and have barely got it out of the box and I'm suppose to be thrilled about a new version coming out with no notice of discounts for an upgrade?

Comment

I am not sure where or how you got the impression that there would not be preferrential pricing for existing customers.

Just to put your mind at rest.

Existing customers WILL receive preferential upgrade pricing on version 8.

Sincerely
                      Richard Rabins
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                        I am not sure where or how you got the impression that there would not be preferrential pricing for existing customers.

Sincerely
                        Richard Rabins
                        Thank you, Richard. That will teach me not to put too much stock in the statements of third parties, and to wait until the equine's oral orifice opens. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post

Sincerely
                          Richard Rabins
                          I don't see why you're confused. You announced the upcoming release of version 8 and told us if we buy another copy of version 7 you will credit the price towards version 8 when it is released. You did not say there would be preferrential pricing for existing customers on an upgrade. For all I knew this was the only offer I would be eligible for as an existing customer (if it wasn't why didn't you say so in the email?). I'm a new customer, I don't know what you've done in the past and I'm not use to paying for the first upgrade that comes out only months after I bought a product.

Comment

Originally posted by roxy View Post
                            You did not say there would be preferrential pricing for existing customers on an upgrade. For all I knew this was the only offer I would be eligible for as an existing customer (if it wasn't why didn't you say so in the email?). I'm a new customer, I don't know what you've done in the past and I'm not use to paying for the first upgrade that comes out only months after I bought a product.
                            While I'm in exactly the same situation as you, Roxy, and I agree that the promotional email was less informative and helpful than it could have been, I am pleased to have got the situation cleared up. I like Alpha 5, and like what I've seen of v8, so Richard's response has taken a weight off for me.

Comment

Stuart and Roxy,

I was only trying to make the point that the cost of the extra copy of V7 would not be lost. As far back as I can remember, Alpha has always made basically this same offer - pick up an extra copy of the current version IF YOU WANT and the cost would be fully applied to the new release. If a developer has an existing base using (in this case) V7, the extra copy could be a good deal all the way around with a net cost of $0.

I didn't factor the upgrade price into my comments because I'm so used to Alpha offering an upgrade price to current users, that I didn't even think of it when I was responding to you concern. If I accidently mislead either of you, for that I apologize.

Dave
                              Dave Jampole
                              www.customalpha.com

Comment

Working...
                              X