Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five v8 - Major Release Coming

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Five v8 - Major Release Coming

Originally posted by davej View Post
    Stuart and Roxy,

I was only trying to make the point that the cost of the extra copy of V7 would not be lost. As far back as I can remember, Alpha has always made basically this same offer - pick up an extra copy of the current version IF YOU WANT and the cost would be fully applied to the new release. If a developer has an existing base using (in this case) V7, the extra copy could be a good deal all the way around with a net cost of $0.

I didn't factor the upgrade price into my comments because I'm so used to Alpha offering an upgrade price to current users, that I didn't even think of it when I was responding to you concern. If I accidently mislead either of you, for that I apologize.

Dave
    Dave,

It remains to be seen but if the past is any indication of the future the current discounts given to Ver 6 users on Ver 7 products are not worth calling a discount. Most companies offer a much greater level of protection in the first year, which is why I didn't give it much thought when including some expensive "add-ons" in my order that I knew I wouldn't be using for awhile.

Comment

Don't forget that by buying version 7 under the latest offer, you become existing customers and therefore eligable for not only the credit back and the existing customer discount. Now that is a win-win situation for any new customers waiting until version 8 comes before buying!! but not so good for loyal customers who have stuck with it over several versions.

I suppose we have had the dubious pleasure in struggling along waiting for the broken product to be fixed, and each time paying 'the upgrade' price in the hope that it would be.

Comment

Lance,

When you refer to a broken product, I have no choice but to take exception with that statement. We have a huge number of Alpha Five v7 Applications in very productive use world-wide in demanding situations. This fact simply doesn't square with your statement.

Secondly if you have issues with the current product - please email me and we will do our best to look into them and resolve them.

Respectfully,
        Last edited by AaronBBrown; 10-16-2006, 10:12 AM.
        Richard Rabins
        Co Chairman
        Alpha Software

Comment

Simple Richard,

The Browse. Need I say more? It was promised tha tit would be fixied in V7, its not. Is it going to be in V8?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Gurd View Post
            Simple Richard,

The Browse. Need I say more? It was promised tha tit would be fixied in V7, its not. Is it going to be in V8?
            Lance

click the relevant link in the first posting in this thread and you will see a sample of the new browse which to coin a phrase of my teenage son "looks wicked!!"

I was at the conference (2005) when the browse was discussed as part of v7 or v8 and I cannot recall Selwyn promising delivery in time for v7. I can recall a detailed explanation why it most likely would happen in v8.

Also although the much improved browse is going to be a major enhancement I would not call v7 a "broken product"

Just my thoughts

Regards

Glen Schild
            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I just purchased V7 2 weeks ago. Will i still have to purchase the upgrade or will this be grandfathered in?
              Tony

Comment

Glen,

As you know there are problems with the browse and there have been since I started seriously using Alpha in V5. It is the source of most of the complaints about the software. It has driven some customers away, I have looked at both filemaker and access, but find overall Alpha to be better and have resorted in most cases to work-arounds. This is something I as a paying customer should not have to do.

I agree that the browse looks nicer, the addition of buttons is great, but if the underlying engine is still the same we are still going to have the inherant issues from previous versions. Jennifer Aniston looks great but is she good in the kitchen, can she iron?

By definition if something is not working, as it should, it is broken.

Comment

Glen,

As you know there are problems with the browse and there have been since I started seriously using Alpha in V5. It is the source of most of the complaints about the software. It has driven some customers away, I have looked at both filemaker and access, but find overall Alpha to be better and have resorted in most cases to work-arounds. This is something I as a paying customer should not have to do.

I agree that the browse looks nicer, the addition of buttons is great, but if the underlying engine is still the same we are still going to have the inherant issues from previous versions. Jennifer Aniston looks great but is she good in the kitchen, can she iron?

By definition if something is not working, as it should, it is broken.
                  Lance

I disagree, if something is broken why would you buy it in the first place? The browse has limitations but it works. It may not do everything that you, I and many others would like but that does not mean v7 is broken.

Who decides if a product is working "as it should"? There are no doubt many people using v7 and previous versions who use the browse without issue.

Again, referrring back to my understanding. One of the reasons given for the browse improvements not appearing sooner was the fact that this element of the project requires a major re-write of the underlying code that drives the current browse therefore I would expect that the new improved browse is/will be based upon such a re-write.

However, what if the new browse does not contain a feature that you feel could be of use? Would you then say the browse is broken?

Kind regards

Glen
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen,

It is not features within the browse I am looking for, although they are a nice addition.

The vertical scroll bar not working properly is a major bug, this is a constant problem.

Here in my company we have different monitors on most desks. My 19" widescreen monitor is the same as my co-directors. I choose to have mine in portrait mode he has his in the more traditional view of landscape. If I design a browse so that it fits nicely in my screen, the browse is off the bottom of his screen. No problem he can scroll down, but when he does it does not refresh correctly with the last value repeating as he scrolls.

Attached is an example showing 3 (filtered) records in a browse on a form, the selection arrow is at the top, the vertical scroll bar slider is in the middle.

Is this something that is correct and working properly? I think not.

While I have been typing this a vertical scroll bar appeared, sizes and alignes itself with where I am in my text, this is working correctly and not broken. Thats what I want.

I say again you can add all the bells and whistles you want but if the main engine doesnt work then its no good.

It does make me wonder why you are replying to this post and not Richard, who I originally pointed my comments to. He is the one in the know.

Comment

Just curious if anyone knows if Version 8 will have the ability to easily import XML files? (An "easy" export would be nice too.)

Richard had mentioned in another earlier post that they were trying to give Version 6 the ability to actually open an XML file as opposed to importing it first, but I don't think either option is available as late as Version 7.

I know it can be done using Xbasic, but an easy import tool (for those of us whom are "Xbasic impaired" would really be helpful, especially now that XML and GXML are becoming standards worldwide.

Thanks
                      Sergeant Richard Hartnett
                      Hyattsville City Police Department
                      Maryland

Comment

Rich,

It's seemless in Access 2007, and according to the version 8 helpfile that we should not have there are a couple of new xbasic routines that are limited to the enterprise edition and desktop applications only. That help file is about a month old now though and they may have done more.

Comment

Don't forget that by buying version 7 under the latest offer, you become existing customers and therefore eligable for not only the credit back and the existing customer discount. Now that is a win-win situation for any new customers waiting until version 8 comes before buying!! but not so good for loyal customers who have stuck with it over several versions.

I suppose we have had the dubious pleasure in struggling along waiting for the broken product to be fixed, and each time paying 'the upgrade' price in the hope that it would be.
                          Lance,
                          I once remember back to Microsoft Windows 3.0 when Microsoft decided
                          to charge for the 3.1 upgrade to fix several prob.

Just my 2 cents.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Ray Roosa
                          Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

I'm not nearly as concerned about the price as I am the features. I've been waiting since Ver 5 for a version of Alpha that COMPLETELY works with other (SQL) data sources. In the meantime I've purchased 5,6 and 7.

If Ver 8 has finally achieved that goal, I'm buying it. If it still doesn't work for various key compenents of Alpha (forms, reports, operations, etc), then I won't purchase 8.

Comment

Ray,

I agree companies should charge for upgrades. I don't sit here in my office for nothing, I am here to make money. I disagree when they say the problems will be fixed in the next upgrade and they are not. I only upgraded to version 7 because it was a special deal and I wanted to keep up with some of what was going on. Other than that it was a waste of time, if I take out the local_variables() part of any alpha generated scripts everything I do works on my runtime copy of V6. This looks a fair bit different for V8, but so far all I can see is cosmetics, I hope I am put in my place and it is not just that. The stange/worrying thing is I have not heard anything from Richard to say the browse is fixed.

Tom,

Have a look at Access 2007, available in beta format, seamless. If V8 is as good as that you will be happy.

Comment

What's the release date for V8?
                                BB

Comment

Working...
                                X