Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Download Email Attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Download Email Attachments

Originally posted by jarty67 View Post
    Is there a way for me to download an email attachment into a diroctory....
    My client receives zip files, and wants this to be automated... Without him having to manually downloading from his email the attachement for use into the Alpha database I created for him...

I tried this but does not seem to work:
    email_pop_open(pSocket, "mail.yahoo.com", "username", "pass")= .T.
    email_pop_retr(pMessage, pSocket,1)= .T.
    email_save_attach(pMessage)=C:\Program Files\AlphaUno\JGNT\test.zip

also, would need to send subject to only downoad files needed...

Thanks for the help

Judith

Judith, did you get this working yet? If not try this:
    Code:

email_pop_open(pSocket, "mail.yahoo.com", "username", "pass")
    email_pop_retr(pMessage, pSocket,1)
    email_save_attach(pMessage)
    I'm assuming you got this code from the help file.
    In the example they show the following:
    Code:
    [B][U]Example[/U][/B]
    DIM pSocket as P
    DIM pMessage as P
    [COLOR=blue]?[/COLOR] email_pop_open(pSocket, "mail.mycompany.com", "john_doe", "sneaky")
    [COLOR=red]= .T.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]?[/COLOR] email_pop_retr(pMessage, pSocket, 2)
    [COLOR=red]= .T.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]?[/COLOR] email_save_attach(pMessage)
    [COLOR=red]= c:\program files\a5v5\attachments\report.doc[/COLOR]
    The question marks in blue are for the "interactive window". The stuff in red is the output produced when running those statements in the "interactive window". The example is just trying to show you a sample of the type of output you can expect from the statements. You don't need to include it in your code.

Comment

Thanks I have not gotten it to work yet... I did chnage the code to the same as what you suggested but still did not work...
      Thanks

Judith

Comment

Thanks I have not gotten it to work yet... I did chnage the code to the same as what you suggested but still did not work...
        Thanks

Judith
        No. Problem. Are you paying yahoo for their service? I've been doing some looking on the web and it seems like you might have to pay yahoo! to be able to retrieve your mail from their pop server.

Check out this link:

http://dot.kde.org/999428101/9995113...69/1064489810/

there's a post there stating the following

Hey guys, just a heads up. There is a program called YahooPOPS (yahoopops.sourceforge.net) that will get around the Yahoo "Pay for POP" problem. It runs as a local POP server on your machine. Set up Outlook or Express to connect to it as a POP server. It goes to Yahoo Mail, uses your username/password, and "screen scrapes" (gets data via http) all of your mail and delivers it to Outlook.

Once you have it set up, it is transparent, delivers yahoo mail like a charm.
        Here's another thread supporting this notion:

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread41451.html

This site has links to several different options for retrieving email from yahoo!:

http://fetchyahoo.twizzler.org/

Hope that helps!

Comment

Yes I did pay yahoo... and I am able to log in and it says downloading but the attachment doesn't really get downloaded...

Judith

Comment

here is my code:

email_pop_open(pSocket, "pop.mail.yahoo.com", "username" , "pass")
            email_pop_retr(pm, pSocket, i, .F.)
            email_save_attach(pm)

in the mail settings I have a folder defined for attachments...
            Don't know what else to do about to give up

Thanks

Judith

Comment

Where does "i" get set? Can you post the entire script? Or a stripped down version on the program so I can see what it's doing? I have a pop server here at work I can test the script on.

Comment

Until I can see your script I won't be able to help solve the mystery... here is another solution. This was a custom script I wrote to handle stripping attachments from email. It work great on my pop server.

Code:
                option strict

/---Some DIMMED Variables have been left out for space---/
                DIM profile AS C = "Default"
                DIM inbox AS C = ""
                DIM nResult AS N = 0
                DIM lSilent AS L = .F.
                DIM lStatusBar AS L = .T.
                DIM lProgress AS L = .F.
                DIM lDisplay AS L = .F.
                DIM lUI AS L = .F.
                DIM MIMEDoc AS B

[COLOR=red]/////RELEVENT CODE/////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=black]' set a filter - CountID is a field that contains the value I'm looking for in the "Subject" line of the email.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]filter = "(\""+alltrim(tbl.CountID)+"\"$Subject)"[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=black]' retrieve all of the email headers from my pop3 server.[/COLOR]
                ' the account has been set up in View->Settings->Email... I disabled the user interface by setting the IDisplay parameter = .f.
                [COLOR=red]nResult = email_pop_retr_ui(profile, inbox, lDisplay, lUI, filter, lProgress, lStatusbar, "", lSilent)[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=black]' tbl_mailbox is a pointer to the table that alpha uses to store the contents of the email it retrieves. This includes the address of attachments.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]IF (nResult > 0) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]tbl_mailbox = table.open("mailbox",FILE_RW_SHARED)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]IF tbl.mode_get() == 0 THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red] tbl.change_begin()[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]END IF [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]' filter the mailbox table to get only the email that has the CountID in the "Subject" line of the email.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]query.filter = "(\""+alltrim(tbl.CountID)+"\"$Mailbox->Subject)"[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]query.order = "(\""+alltrim(tbl.CountID)+"\"$Mailbox->Subject)"[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]qry = tbl_mailbox.query_create()[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]tbl_mailbox.fetch_last()  [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=red]tbl_mailbox.change_begin()[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]' test to see if there was an attachment.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]IF (alltrim(tbl_mailbox.Attachments) = "") THEN [/COLOR]
                if there was... tbl_mailbox.Attachments will have the filename and it will be stored in the directory you specified in View->Settings->Email...
                [COLOR=red]///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]///////////////////////////IGNORE CODE IN BLUE///////////////////////////////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]///////////////THE CODE IN BLUE IS ONE EXAMPLE OF HOW TO//////////////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]/STRIP OUT MIME ENCODED ATTACHMENTS FROM THE BODY OF A EMAIL//[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]////IT ALSO HAS A SECTION THAT TAKES THE BODY OF AN EMAIL AND////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]//PERFORMS SOME REGEX ON IT AND STORES IT AS AN .HTML PAGE///////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]IF (alltrim(tbl_mailbox.Attachments) = "") THEN[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue] ' Did it come in MIME Encoded?[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  IF (CONTAINSI(tbl_mailbox.body, "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64")) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   ' Get MIME attachment filename.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   file = regex_split(tbl_mailbox.body,"filename=\"(.*)\";")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   file = "C:\Program Files\A5V7\Attachments\Incoming\\"+file[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   ' Strip the MIME attachment.  [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_split(tbl_mailbox.Body,"Content-D.*;[\r\n]*(.*)\r\n")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  ' Decode the MIME encoded file.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  MIMEDoc = base64decode(htmlpage) [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  ' Create file, else terminate script.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  fp = file.create(file,FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  IF (.NOT. is_object(fp)) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   ui_msg_box("Error!","File Creation Error!")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   END [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  END IF[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  ' Write the contents of htmlpage to the file. [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  ' Contains cleaned up text from the body of the email.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  fp.writeb(MIMEDoc)[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  fp.flush()[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  fp.close()[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  tbl_mailbox.Attachments = file[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  tbl.recvd_file = tbl_mailbox.Attachments     [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue] ELSE[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  file = "C:\Program Files\A5V7\Attachments\Incoming\\"+alltrim(tbl.CountID)+".html" [/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  ' If file already exists, delete it.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  IF (file.exists(file)) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   result = file.remove(file) [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   IF (result <> 0) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]    'throw an exception here[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]    ui_msg_box("Error!","File: "+file +" was not removed!")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]    END[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   END IF [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  END IF [/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]   ' throw an exception here[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  ' Write the body of the email to the file.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  fp.write(tbl_mailbox.Body_html)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  ' Regex to strip out unwanted text from the newly created file.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = file.to_string(file)[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_merge(htmlpage,"<(\w*)\r?\n?"+chr(13)+chr(10),"<\1","AI")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_merge(htmlpage,"DEFANGED_","","AI")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_merge(htmlpage,">(\w*)\r?\n?"+chr(13)+chr(10),">$1","AI")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_merge(htmlpage,"<TR>.*?Client:.*?align=left>GROUP.*?</TD></TR>","","EI")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_merge(htmlpage,"FOR CHOOSING GROUP 3, \w*","!","AI")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  htmlpage = regex_merge(htmlpage,"Date :.*?*&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;+","","GI")[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  ' If file already exists, delete it.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  IF (file.exists(file)) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   result = file.remove(file)[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   IF (result <> 0) THEN[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]    'throw an exception here[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]    ui_msg_box("Error!","File: "+file +" was not removed!")[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]    END[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]   END IF [/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  END IF[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]  ' Write the contents of htmlpage to the file. [/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  ' Contains cleaned up text from the body of the email.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  fp.write(htmlpage)[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  tbl_mailbox.Attachments = file[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue]  tbl.recvd_file = tbl_mailbox.Attachments[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=blue] END IF[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]ELSE[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]///////////////////////////IGNORE CODE IN BLUE///////////////////////////////[/COLOR]
                more code goes here to clean up the mess....

Comment

email_pop_open(pSocket, "pop.mail.yahoo.com", "usern" , "pass")
                  vnNumMsg = pSocket.nMessages
                  IF vnNumMsg = 0 THEN
                  msgbox("No messages", "No incoming e-mail messages found.")
                  ELSE
                  FOR i = 1 to vnNumMsg
                  email_save_attach(pm)
                  NEXT i
                  end if

Comment

email_pop_open(pSocket, "pop.mail.yahoo.com", "usern" , "pass")
                    IF vnNumMsg = 0 THEN
                    ELSE
                    FOR i = 1 to vnNumMsg
                    email_save_attach(pm)
                    NEXT i
                    end if
                    Very interesting... I ran the code below on my pop server and it worked fine. There's really only a couple of things that I can think of.

1. Bad username/password.
                    2. You're files are being stored in a different folder than you are looking in.
                    Did you set the path for the folder in View->Settings->Email?
                    My attachments are stored in: "C:\Program Files\A5V7\attachments\" (this is the default for alpha)
                    3. A problem with yahoo's pop server.

Have you ran the script in debug mode so you can watch the output of each function call?

If not, try adding the debug() and traceln() statements the way I did below. (Or just comment out your code and paste in the block of code below.) In Debug you can right-click on the variable names (filelist, result, vnNumMsg) and select "watch" then press F5 (or click GO) and you should see changes in those variables. Result should = .T., if not, check your username and password. filelist should show file paths. When the script finishes executing you can look in View->Trace Window->Error (tab). This will show you the path names where the files are stored.

Code:

DIM pSocket as P
                     DIM pMessage as P
                     DIM vnNumMsg as N
                     DIM filelist as C
                     DIM result as L

[COLOR=red]debug(1)[/COLOR]
                    result = email_pop_open(pSocket, "pop.mail.yahoo.com", "user", "pass")

IF vnNumMsg = 0 THEN
                    ELSE
                          FOR i = 1 TO vnNumMsg
                          email_pop_retr(pMessage, pSocket, vnNumMsg)
                          [COLOR=red]filelist =[/COLOR] email_save_attach(pMessage)
                          [COLOR=red]traceln(filelist)[/COLOR]
                          NEXT i
                    END IF

Comment

Jeff Thank you very much,

would you beleive it was downloading since the beginning but since I was looking in the folder I set up, in the mail settings... and not in C:\Program Files\A5V7\attachments\ I never saw the attachments..

So it really does not matter what I put in the email settings as far as download folder, Alpha will always put the attachment in this folder: C:\Program Files\A5V7\attachments\....

Now the only problem I am facing is that alpha download the same attachement, for all email... exemple if I have 2 emails in my yahoo inbox, the first has an attachment and the second doesn't... It downloads the attachment of the first email 2 times... and it would be the same if I had more mails in my inbox...

Again thanks for all your help...

Judith

Comment

Jeff Thank you very much,

would you beleive it was downloading since the beginning but since I was looking in the folder I set up, in the mail settings... and not in C:\Program Files\A5V7\attachments\ I never saw the attachments..

So it really does not matter what I put in the email settings as far as download folder, Alpha will always put the attachment in this folder: C:\Program Files\A5V7\attachments\....

Now the only problem I am facing is that alpha download the same attachement, for all email... exemple if I have 2 emails in my yahoo inbox, the first has an attachment and the second doesn't... It downloads the attachment of the first email 2 times... and it would be the same if I had more mails in my inbox...

Again thanks for all your help...

Judith
                        You're very welcome! :) I'm glad I can help.

I believe you... =) When it comes to Alpha nothing is as it seems it should be. Alpha can be pretty backwards at times.

In order to change the path your attachments end up in I think you may have to define a profile other than the default profile. I'm not to sure on this though. I haven't used this feature yet.

Here is a link to the help section:

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...Help_Title.htm

Check out this function in particular: EMAIL_PROFILE_LOAD -- just do a "search"

I think if you define your attachment path this way it will use it...

As for your other problem of the attachments not being downloaded correctly...

The pMessage Component is an object that contains a parameter called ".parts". pMessage.parts will only exist if the message you retrieved contained EITHER html OR an attachment. I'm not real sure what exactly you would test for in parts to determine if a file exists. You'll have to play around with it and see what type of things are stored in there.

This is the .parts description from the EMAIL_POP_RETR() function:
                        If the message has many parts (Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative or similar), there will be an array named parts in the pMessage structure. Each element of this array contains: headers, message, content_type, and perhaps another parts array. The parts array will usually be there if the message contains html or attachments, as is seen below.
                        Alternatively, if the emails are going to contain something that would allow you to identify the email, such as, a subject line that indicates it is the email you want. You could use EMAIL_POP_HEADERS() to just retrieve the headers of each email. You could then search the subject line (or whatever you use to identify the email you want) for the email you want and only retreive the email using EMAIL_POP_RETR(). Then you could strip the attachment using EMAIL_SAVE_ATTACH().

Do a search on the EMAIL_POP_HEADERS() function and look at the example.

I know this is a lot to digest. If you're unclear on anything please let me know.

Comment

Thanks again jeff for the sugestions, will try them and keep you updated on my results,

Have a great weekend

Judith

Comment

No problem! Hope that helps. Have a great weekend too!

Comment

Thanks again jeff for the sugestions, will try them and keep you updated on my results,

Have a great weekend

Judith

Hey Judith,

I was just wondering if you were able to get your program working?

Comment

Working...
                              X