Alpha Video Training

Thread: QODBC R/W - anyone used this?

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default QODBC R/W - anyone used this?

Has anyone used the QODBC driver found at www.qodbc.com for READ/WRITE functions? I am using the web server version of this OBDC driver. I cannot get it to display data in Alpha, let alone write information back to QuickBooks.

I'm not referring to the QReportBuilder which uses a READ ONLY driver to import QuickBooks data to static Alpha tables. I think that works fine.

2nd question; anyone used the QuickBooks SDK to make direct calls to QB from Alpha using xbasic? QB has a massive committment to this SDK and it looks doable if I can convert the VB examples to xbasic.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default Re: QODBC R/W - anyone used this?

Al Bucholz is the resident expert on this stuff, I think. He's usually around here but if not, check in with him.
    -Steve

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Thanks Steve for the compliment.

I've been offline for a few days. - good stuff - an actual vacation.

I'll be talking with Steve Woods soon and we'll post the results here..
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

On a different thread, that I cannot find, someone asked me to follow up with FlexQuarters about using QODBC to read/write to QuickBooks from the Alpha Web App Server (because I could not make it do so). I finally got an answer from FlexQuarters that there "definitely an issue [with the ability to write] ... and we expect to fix by late March.".
    Steve Wood

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

Hi Steve and Al,

I am looking forward to what you guys have to say about QODBC/RW. I have a couple of customers who want that ability, but I haven't been to help them yet. I have purchased the driver, but haven't had much success with it yet.

Thanks in advance,
    mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Both Al and I are planning to follow up.
    Steve Wood

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Mike

Coming to the conference? There'll be a couple of talks related to QB integration... (so I hear...) ;)
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Al,

Being that you have the reputation for being the QODBC guru, and my having explored this subject with great pain recently (due to a 3 GB QB 7 Enterprise file), I succeeded at doing most of the initial exports of data (imports into A5) but have come to a roadblock based on field name lengths. Here is where I'm wondering if you have run into this.

As far as I know, the field name length max permitted in A5 (including V8) is still 10. QB fields have long names, up to maybe 40 characters. For example, in the QB table SalesOrderLine, there is a field SalesOrderLineGroupItemGroupRefFullName. Additionally, there are 43 fields that begin with SalesOrderLine, and what happens when QODBC is applied in A5 is the names are truncated to salesorde0, salesorde1, salesorde2,...salesord10,etc. What happened, though, is it stopped at salesord23 even though there are 43 of them. To complicate it further, there are two fields with the names SalesOrderLineOther1 and SalesOrderLineOther2. You find this out by downloading the detail specs from the QODBC web site.

In addition, after the import into Alpha, there are also several fields with the field type of <unknown>.

After running into all this, I wonder how Alpha can handle the QODBC driver. It seems, at a minimum, that there needs to be a provision for handling long field names. I looked at Visual Foxpro as a possible tool (though I would prefer to use A5), and it, too, has a field name length limit of 10 for free tables. However, if you set up tables in a VFP database, you have a field name length limit of 128 characters, which would satisfy the need for this part of it.

Before I venture into the VFP direction for the solution, I wanted to exhaust all possibilities with A5. Are you familiar enough with QODBC and its use with A5 to know about these limitations? You had earlier mentioned that A5V8 handles QB import better in the enterprise version (which I don't have at this time), but my understanding is you still need to buy the QODBC driver separately, so it's the same one I have, and I'm guessing there is still a 10 character field name limit.

What say ye?

Jeff

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Jeff

Dbase has the 10 char fieldnamelength, but not A5. I don't recall what it is, but it's in the 27 to 32 char range.

When I import from QODBC, I get most of the fields handled properly. Some fields (but very few) are too long for A5 and they are truncated.

I've not run into a real problem with it yet.

I'm not sure how you are only getting 10 char fieldnames. When I use ADO import, DAO import, or passvice linked tables, I get the longer fieldnames.....
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Al, you're absolutely right. I was looking at the file in Visual Foxpro thinking it was the way it was imported into A5, since I used A5 for the ODBC import. I went back to A5 to look at the imported file and voila, all looks right.

Thanks for waking me up.

Jeff

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Al, one more thing I forgot to mention. The reason I wasn't thinking about A5 having a longer fieldname length is that I have always defined my field names to no more than 10 characters. I do this for compatibility reasons (Foxpro, third party report writer, etc.). It didn't occur to me that A5 is allowing longer field names.

Jeff

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wood View Post
    Both Al and I are planning to follow up.
    Yes this is a late follow up. My apologies.

The issue that was id'd by Steve was resolved prior to the conference, but I am tardy on posting an update to this thread.

I am successfully reading from and writing to QB from Alpha 5 desktop and Alpha 5 Application Server.

Please ensure that you have QODBC version 7.0.0.214 (or later). It works with a5v7 or a5v8 enterprise edition - I suggest a5v8 in case other issues may arise - a5v8 can/will be patched but I doubt that a5v7 will be.

In that regard, I do have clients successfully working in both a5v7 and a5v8.

If anyone has an issue with a5v7 or v8 with QODBC please post a new thread or email me with any questions.

tks
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS