Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

QODBC R/W - anyone used this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QODBC R/W - anyone used this?

Has anyone used the QODBC driver found at www.qodbc.com for READ/WRITE functions? I am using the web server version of this OBDC driver. I cannot get it to display data in Alpha, let alone write information back to QuickBooks.

I'm not referring to the QReportBuilder which uses a READ ONLY driver to import QuickBooks data to static Alpha tables. I think that works fine.

2nd question; anyone used the QuickBooks SDK to make direct calls to QB from Alpha using xbasic? QB has a massive committment to this SDK and it looks doable if I can convert the VB examples to xbasic.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Re: QODBC R/W - anyone used this?

Al Bucholz is the resident expert on this stuff, I think. He's usually around here but if not, check in with him.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve for the compliment.

I've been offline for a few days. - good stuff - an actual vacation.

I'll be talking with Steve Woods soon and we'll post the results here..
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

On a different thread, that I cannot find, someone asked me to follow up with FlexQuarters about using QODBC to read/write to QuickBooks from the Alpha Web App Server (because I could not make it do so). I finally got an answer from FlexQuarters that there "definitely an issue [with the ability to write] ... and we expect to fix by late March.".
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve and Al,

I am looking forward to what you guys have to say about QODBC/RW. I have a couple of customers who want that ability, but I haven't been to help them yet. I have purchased the driver, but haven't had much success with it yet.

Thanks in advance,
          mike
          Mike Reed
          Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Both Al and I are planning to follow up.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Mike

Coming to the conference? There'll be a couple of talks related to QB integration... (so I hear...) ;)
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Al,

Being that you have the reputation for being the QODBC guru, and my having explored this subject with great pain recently (due to a 3 GB QB 7 Enterprise file), I succeeded at doing most of the initial exports of data (imports into A5) but have come to a roadblock based on field name lengths. Here is where I'm wondering if you have run into this.

As far as I know, the field name length max permitted in A5 (including V8) is still 10. QB fields have long names, up to maybe 40 characters. For example, in the QB table SalesOrderLine, there is a field SalesOrderLineGroupItemGroupRefFullName. Additionally, there are 43 fields that begin with SalesOrderLine, and what happens when QODBC is applied in A5 is the names are truncated to salesorde0, salesorde1, salesorde2,...salesord10,etc. What happened, though, is it stopped at salesord23 even though there are 43 of them. To complicate it further, there are two fields with the names SalesOrderLineOther1 and SalesOrderLineOther2. You find this out by downloading the detail specs from the QODBC web site.

In addition, after the import into Alpha, there are also several fields with the field type of <unknown>.

After running into all this, I wonder how Alpha can handle the QODBC driver. It seems, at a minimum, that there needs to be a provision for handling long field names. I looked at Visual Foxpro as a possible tool (though I would prefer to use A5), and it, too, has a field name length limit of 10 for free tables. However, if you set up tables in a VFP database, you have a field name length limit of 128 characters, which would satisfy the need for this part of it.

Before I venture into the VFP direction for the solution, I wanted to exhaust all possibilities with A5. Are you familiar enough with QODBC and its use with A5 to know about these limitations? You had earlier mentioned that A5V8 handles QB import better in the enterprise version (which I don't have at this time), but my understanding is you still need to buy the QODBC driver separately, so it's the same one I have, and I'm guessing there is still a 10 character field name limit.

What say ye?

Jeff

Comment

Jeff

Dbase has the 10 char fieldnamelength, but not A5. I don't recall what it is, but it's in the 27 to 32 char range.

When I import from QODBC, I get most of the fields handled properly. Some fields (but very few) are too long for A5 and they are truncated.

I've not run into a real problem with it yet.

I'm not sure how you are only getting 10 char fieldnames. When I use ADO import, DAO import, or passvice linked tables, I get the longer fieldnames.....
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Al, you're absolutely right. I was looking at the file in Visual Foxpro thinking it was the way it was imported into A5, since I used A5 for the ODBC import. I went back to A5 to look at the imported file and voila, all looks right.

Thanks for waking me up.

Jeff

Comment

Al, one more thing I forgot to mention. The reason I wasn't thinking about A5 having a longer fieldname length is that I have always defined my field names to no more than 10 characters. I do this for compatibility reasons (Foxpro, third party report writer, etc.). It didn't occur to me that A5 is allowing longer field names.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                        Both Al and I are planning to follow up.
                        Yes this is a late follow up. My apologies.

The issue that was id'd by Steve was resolved prior to the conference, but I am tardy on posting an update to this thread.

I am successfully reading from and writing to QB from Alpha 5 desktop and Alpha 5 Application Server.

Please ensure that you have QODBC version 7.0.0.214 (or later). It works with a5v7 or a5v8 enterprise edition - I suggest a5v8 in case other issues may arise - a5v8 can/will be patched but I doubt that a5v7 will be.

In that regard, I do have clients successfully working in both a5v7 and a5v8.

If anyone has an issue with a5v7 or v8 with QODBC please post a new thread or email me with any questions.

tks
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X