Alpha Video Training

Thread: Sleepy old UK?

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

Default Sleepy old UK?

What's up with us? We invented industry, ISIHAC(*) and the computer (oh yes we did...) but we don't get excited about anything. Perhaps we are waiting to be 'introduced properly'? I believe there is an upcoming user group meeting in Oxford(shire) - no mention of it here. Or is nobody in the UK using Alpha because they have found something better? Somebody tell me, quickly, before I get in too deep! Maybe Alpha needs to be re-badged for the UK, like the tea and coffee in Lidl supermarkets - something like 'Lord Rupert' or 'Imperial'. Sorry, just feeling a little lonely at the moment (oops, I'm English, shouldn't admit to that).

(* A free PUK - look it up - to the first to correctly identify this.)

Alan Crabb
    www.integergroupltd.co.uk

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Default Re: Sleepy old UK?

Alan,

I agree there should be more interaction here, would love to see it.

Take a look at your details though, from them we didn't know you where from the UK. After clicking on your web address have deduced that you are from Kent, (thanks for the lovely music from your site BTW:p ).

Would love to see some kind of user group going, but we all seem to spread about. Signed up for one a couple of years ago but didn't come to anything.

I could not make the UK conference, but would like to here news of any other meetings that people are thinking about.

Lets get this forum buzzing!

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

Hi Lance

I guess part of the problem is that any technical/global issues are more properly handled on the main forum - I note your regular contributions there, and I think it's a great forum - and there are just not enough users in the UK to generate regular local traffic. You are right about us being spread about - although our US cousins would probably chuckle about that.

Music on our website - I'm tempted to think that was a compliment, but I suspect it's really gentle Brit humour - I'll listen to it again.

My profile - good point, I can't remember how I set that up. I'll have a look at it when I get back to the office.

Alan Crabb
    Kent, UK
    www.integergroupltd.co.uk

Real Name
    Tom Chambers

Hi

Just to show you your not completely alone! Iguess the problem is that A5 hasn't been pushed over here. You never see it mentioned in the press - time someone took hold of the situation. There is a guy in London who's supposed to be doing something but is it effective.

Perhaps we should have a word across the pond and try to push v8 which looks rather interesting

Tom

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

Hi Tom

Good to hear from you. I think we have just boosted annual traffic 100%. I'm new to Alpha, so don't know what arrangements Alpha have here - I do know that when I talk to my colleagues about converting to Alpha they all assume I'm talking about an evangelical course.

Like everyone else, software is critical to my company. If I could, I would stay with my beloved SQL, but I desperately need a good, feature-rich front end - and I don't want to get into Delphi or anything too complex. It will be interesting to see how version 8 deals with MySQL.

One question I am being asked is whether Alpha works well in a multi-user configuration - we have 10 heavy users, going up. Normally I would expect to say "yes, I've seen it working in a live situation" - but in fact all I can say so far is "lots of people in the US say it does". I guess I'll find out more at the one day course on 30th November - you there?

Real Name
    Tom Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by alanc View Post
    Hi Tom

Good to hear from you. I think we have just boosted annual traffic 100%. I'm new to Alpha, so don't know what arrangements Alpha have here - I do know that when I talk to my colleagues about converting to Alpha they all assume I'm talking about an evangelical course.

Like everyone else, software is critical to my company. If I could, I would stay with my beloved SQL, but I desperately need a good, feature-rich front end - and I don't want to get into Delphi or anything too complex. It will be interesting to see how version 8 deals with MySQL.
    I haven't tried to run 10 but 3 works with no apparent problems. - You wouldn't know others were there. But then it's all about balancing and hardware...

One question I am being asked is whether Alpha works well in a multi-user configuration - we have 10 heavy users, going up. Normally I would expect to say "yes, I've seen it working in a live situation" - but in fact all I can say so far is "lots of people in the US say it does". I guess I'll find out more at the one day course on 30th November - you there?
    Probably - Haven't been asked for any money yet so not sure if I'm booked in or not. Will investigate...

Regards

Tom

Real Name
    Peter Sabourn

Hi Alan, Lance & Tom

I'm in Leeds and have been using Alpha for a number of years. I have a client using v7 with about 25 workstations on their netowrk. They have a few issues with performance but these are mostly hardware/windows related.

I've spoken to two other long standing UK A5 developers over the past couple of years. Both of whom haven't replied to this thread yet. There is definitely life out there in the UK.

So I missed the UK conference - I had an email about it earlier in the year but then it vanished ! Maybe next year.

Peter

Real Name
    Tom Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by P Sabourn View Post
    Hi Alan, Lance & Tom

So I missed the UK conference - I had an email about it earlier in the year but then it vanished ! Maybe next year.

Peter

Peter - it's on 30th November - we're in October ...

Tom

Real Name
    Peter Sabourn

Tom

Thanks for that. I read that as 'one day course' and not 'one day conference'. Where is it and who do I contact ?

Peter

Real Name
    Tom Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by P Sabourn View Post
    Tom

Thanks for that. I read that as 'one day course' and not 'one day conference'. Where is it and who do I contact ?

Peter
    in London - exactly where I'm not sure - have asked USA for info.

Tom

Real Name
    Joel Leaman

is there a newsletter i can look at for details on the conference. i would really like to go. how much is it?....

btw, im from wales, only been using alpha for about 3-4 months. enjoying it quite alot although finding some bits a bit hard although that is to be expected.

joel
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

email

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Alan,

If you would take a comment from a US developer/user....

Quote Originally Posted by alanc View Post
    One question I am being asked is whether Alpha works well in a multi-user configuration - we have 10 heavy users, going up.
    There are users here running heavy multi-user applications with Alpha with no problems. In fact, there is one user running Alpha in a 300-user plus environment!

Check with Bob Whitaker (bob@johnwilde.co.uk), Michael Turner (mail@desksoftware.co.uk) or Keith Hubert (http://www.alpha-databases.co.uk). In addition to these guys, there are many other Alpha developers on your side of the big pond that can offer help.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Alan

We are all too busy helping our US cousins on the main board!! :p

I have been using since A4v3 and boy that was a long time ago.

So who else is going to Oxford?

Regards

Glen Schild
    Frome, Somerset

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

Sorry - nodded off for a day, and woke up to find things buzzing!

Good to hear that there are some heavy users out there - I feel more confident now, thanks.

UK training day - I think it is at Chalgrove, near Oxford : my point of contact was : graeme@rostering-systems.co.uk

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

By the way, that offer of a free PUK is still open! See original posting.

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Alan,

I'm Sorry I Havn't A Clue what ISIHAC means

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

Lance : therefore you win. Send me an address (or better still Samantha's) and I'll send your PUK.

Cheers

alanc@integergroupltd.co.uk

Real Name
    Tony Rutherford

Hi,

I am also going to the training day at Chalgrove - I haven't heard anything yet; I was expecting an invoice.

Tony

Real Name
    Alex Muir

Hello

We are Alpha Developers based in North East England.

Developed systems in A5V4 all the way through to A5V7.

Fantastic testimonial sites

Largest site 20 users across 3 different locations.

All I can say about Alpha is its very reliable, fast to develop applications in and looking forward to V8. Sure its got its quirks, but we haven't come across anything yet thats been a real show stopper.

Scheduled to come to Oxford on the 30th November and do an overview of how we use R&R Report Works for those users who want to generate their own reports, but as of yet Graham at rostering-systems has not come back with confirmation.

Alex

Real Name
    Alan Crabb

Hi Alex

Tried to view your website - have you changed it?

Your 20 user client - how are those three locations linked?

Cheers

alanc@integergroupltd.co.uk

Real Name
    Alex Muir

Hi Alan

Head Office runs Windows 2003 server and the users run under Terminal server.

One user accesses from Leicester, 10 users are based at a sister factory in the same town and 8+ users run at Head Office.

Our web site is www.dbasesolution.co.uk

Best wishes
    Alex