Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V8 release date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 release date

Quote from Alpha Software here in South Africa:

"They are talking about releasing end of December mid jan"

Can anyone confirm/deny or offer more info?

V8 Release Date

To clarify my previous post. The release date quoted - "They are talking about releasing end of December mid jan" seem to be the expected US release , not only South Africa"

Any further info would be appreciated.

Comment

Re: V8 release date

I was told last week that the release date was the first week in December, maybe earlier.
      Richard

Comment

Sales indicated to me mid December

I would be curious how many 139 dollars they are now using in cash flow, without the release?

Comment

Yes, with their history of special sales that end on X date and then are repeated multiple times with the same prices, I also wonder.

The new offer comes with either a download or boxed product. I asked if I could order the boxed product and still download on the release date. Yes, I could do that, BUT I would have to order the boxed version and then call back ON the release date so that they could authorized the download as a special case!!!

Now when was the last time anyone ever heard such nonsense!

I did place my order and have been wondering ever since if I made a mistake. The promo stuff so far just says it loads faster and has new skins. Sure do hope there is one hell of a lot more to it than that!

Like real documentation for a change.
          Richard

Comment

I did inquire about V8 Runtime and there is no special early offer for it. In fact, Sales indicated they were not sure when it would be released. I thought that to be strange as I would have thought the two needed each other, at least from a sales point of view combined with converting or improving existing applications.

Having used Alpha software for 15 plus years I doubt they would ruin long term relationships. I did, however, find it interesting that there was more sales pressure applied to complete the 139 dollar offer (via telemarketing) than on any product predecessor. For that reason, I did not buy over the phone but via the email offer.

Should the offer not be completed in December as stated by Sales I would believe something to be awry in the completion/testing of the product for satisfactory release.

Comment

Your comment really disturbs me, since I also noted the lack of a runtime. After receiving the email notice, I sent a couple of replies w. questions, one of which was specifically about the availability of a new runtime, or if it was included (dreamer that I am!).

I was told that one was needed and it would be available with the release. Should it not be available I, for one, will be raising bloody hell over the issue, since releasing one without the other would be absolute stupidity!

I also asked about graphics capability, specifically if the runtime version of Simple Graphs (or whatever it is called) would still be needed. The answer was that it would be required, indicating a likely lack of internal graphics changes, something terribly lacking now.

Let us hope that this is not a case of so many new offers:
              1. Announce the product
              2. Buy the T-shirts
              3. Set the pricing
              4. Start the design....

:)
              Richard

Comment

Good morning, Richard. Have you played the demos posted in the Announcements forum? There's a lot there to like. -- tom

Comment

From what I can see, v8 has a wealth of improvements, including speed. I went through the set of videos in the Announcement topic.

A Runtime is derived from the full version, so you have to complete the full version first. They aren't going to abandon Runtime or Runtime+.

New versions always leave some elated and others frustrated. For me it will be both - some things I (we) want will probably not be there. At the same time, though I may be frustrated, I understand that developing software on limited resources is a careful balance between pissing off the established users and attracting new buyers. Just the same, I'd rather have everything that I want or need!
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

In our world of "instant gratification" I can understand that delayed release of new software can lead to frustration. However, compared to other companies, Alpha's updates come a lot closer to promise. In fact, I found Alpha after waiting over 2 years for a PC upgrade to Provue's Panorama product (a very nice database originally and still mainly a Mac product) that was promised within 6 months. Three years later and Panorama PC still doesn't exist and I am a convert to Alpha. Waiting an extra few weeks, despite giving them my $139 doesn't dismay me. Seeing samples is a nice tease for the "real thing". It's like waiting for Santa to arrive.....:)

Pete Schuder
                    "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Tom,

I did see the first video that Richard did, which is what I based my comments above on. Having seen the newer videos, I will say that there is much that has been done, especially in the web end of the software.

I do hope that the desktop side will continue to be enhanced for a couple of reasons. That is where my Alpha interests lie at the moment, and being the oldest, it also contains a lot of out of date and duplicate items. So, hopefully, a lot of that has gotten cleaned up.

As for the runtime, I can appreciate the comments about unexpected delays, but when delivery dates in the immediate future are given, there can be no excuse for not meeting them and I really hope that the runtime comes out with the rest of the V8 juice, as I was told it would.

Haven't heard or seen anything about new documentation. Does anyone know if there will be such any time soon, and will we have to pay for it?

And, should docs still be underway, let me enter a plea for more useful stuff. If nothing else, please get rid of the interactive examples as much as possible. As of now, most of them are difficult to figure out how to translate into an application, at least for me.

I know that long time Alpha users don't agree with me on the quality of the docs, but you have this stuff ingrained into your gray matter from years of use. Sure, its better than ten years ago, but please don't let such a comparison be your standard for today. GM cars are better than ten years ago, but they don't come close to Toyotas.

As long as statements like, "With Alpha � virtually ALL of the coding is done for you. You can build complete data driven web solutions without having to write a single line of code" are made, the documentation needs to be superb.

Please take this in the spirit that it is said. I ain't just bitchin' - I LIKE Alpha, but I have a hard time getting it to do what I want the way I want it. I don't use it ALL the time and so memory fades and docs become that much more important. That's why I want it mo' betta'...

Thanks to all the Alpha folks who keep on going and keep on putting up with me and my ilk. ;)
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rfha View Post
                        As for the runtime, I can appreciate the comments about unexpected delays, but when delivery dates in the immediate future are given, there can be no excuse for not meeting them and I really hope that the runtime comes out with the rest of the V8 juice, as I was told it would.
                        The RT is being offered for sale currently - at least for those who got the "Early Bird" announcements. I don't expect that it would be delayed at all.

Haven't heard or seen anything about new documentation. Does anyone know if there will be such any time soon, and will we have to pay for it?
                        Apparently Ed Larabee no longer works for them. So who knows?

As long as statements like, "With Alpha � virtually ALL of the coding is done for you. You can build complete data driven web solutions without having to write a single line of code" are made, the documentation needs to be superb.
                        Not true. I think you need some xbasic. I guess the key word is "virtually" - and it depends upon what you want to do.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

#1 - That's what I was told, just hoping tis true! :)

#2 - Didn't know Ed L was gone. Hmm, the plot thickens!

#3 - Yah mon, but he who be buying doesn't know he 'may' need to learn Xbasic. I just think it should be sold as a programmer's tool. And from other comments on the forum, many others agree. :p
                          Richard

Comment

Hmm, paying for documentation? I think Alpha Corp isn't stupid.
                            Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                            ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                              The RT is being offered for sale currently - at least for those who got the "Early Bird" announcements. I don't expect that it would be delayed at all.
                              Peter, if it is being offered for sale as to the Early Bird Announcement the sales department that has been calling me knows nothing about it being for sale. I actually asked for it. The curiosity would be of course, why can someone have the RT but not the main product and in fact no clear date as to when available?

I am by no means or by any stretch of the imagination someone who makes a living utilizing Alpha. I use it to make MY life easier and have one application that I developedfor my company at no profit to me (other than a free round of golf here and there). So I can truly appreciate the trust given by those here in the forum who do make a living from Alpha. These individuals are far more in tune with Alpha and the organization than I would ever be. Hence, all the bells and whistles these users need and dream of are far beyond my need for additional scripting and reporting capabilities. Hence I would never say it has or does not have. So far, since 1992, when I started with Alpha it has had everything I could ever want.

The only thing I believe is that a product that is stated by Sales as ready to release the second week of December should have a product that is ready to release sometime around that date. If a supporting product is not ready nor can it be offered for sale and it is MIA then my only concern is why do they have to have MY money so far in advance when it seems they really are not going to make the projected release date?

Comment

Working...
                              X