Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ALPHA EMPLOYEES : Where's OnClick : Can Alpha trap this event for desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALPHA EMPLOYEES : Where's OnClick : Can Alpha trap this event for desktop?

How can I make Alpha trap on a mouse click?
    I need an OnClick event handler for a desktop app.
    Can someone tell me where this is, why it's not there, and what I need to do to make it happen? Thanks!

Re: ALPHA EMPLOYEES : Where's OnClick : Can Alpha trap this event for desktop?

Jeff go to this site. http://www.learn alpha.com/index.html and search on 'mouse events'.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Alpha employee.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
      Jeff go to this site. http://www.learn alpha.com/index.html and search on 'mouse events'.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Alpha employee.
      I think Tim has pointed you in the right direction, but consider.

Nearly everything in Alpha is object and event driven. To say that you need to trap this event for desktop is confusing. Alpha can't trap events outside of the program, which is where the desktop is. Is that what you meant or did you mean something else? If so, you will get more productive answers and advice if you take time to describe what you need or want than if you throw out generalities.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Jeff, this message board is peer supported. While it's true Alpha staff wander by from time to time, if you have a question that needs answering by staff you should be working through Alpha's tech support department. -- tom

Comment

Thank you Tim. That's exactly what I was looking for. User Objects.... mmmm.... It's curious that objects in Alpha 5 don't have a native event handler for handling mouse click events. I'll have to read up more on user objects to see the rational...

Tom, they charge for tech support don't they? My company is tight. :) I directed my posts towards the Alpha employees because I know they drop by the forum from time to time. I was hoping they (or anyone) would address this issue in a public manner so everyone would have access to the answer.

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
          I think Tim has pointed you in the right direction, but consider.

Nearly everything in Alpha is object and event driven. To say that you need to trap this event for desktop is confusing. Alpha can't trap events outside of the program, which is where the desktop is. Is that what you meant or did you mean something else? If so, you will get more productive answers and advice if you take time to describe what you need or want than if you throw out generalities.
          Stan, I wasn't generalizing... If you re-read the original post you'll see I actually said, "I need an OnClick event handler for a desktop app." Not merely a "desktop". Meaning, an "ALPHA 5 desktop application" as opposed to a web-based application. :) I am looking for an OnClick handler similar to those found in other languages like javascript, Visual C++/C#/VB, .NET, etc.

Thank you all.

If a mouse click event occurs in indochina I want an event handler hiding in a bowl of rice... heh. <--- shameless Pulp Fiction semi-quote.

Comment

Thank you Tim. That's exactly what I was looking for. User Objects.... mmmm.... It's curious that objects in Alpha 5 don't have a native event handler for handling mouse click events. I'll have to read up more on user objects to see the rational...
            Upon closer inspection it looks like user objects won't work afterall. I'm trying to trap mouse clicks on a record in a record list-list box. Basically, everytime I click on a record in my record list-list box I would like to run a script. Any ideas?

Comment

Jeff, it may be no great loss but I won't be responding to any more posts asking for specific responses from specific people. Wouldn't want to get in the way.

-- tom

Comment

Jeff:
                I'm trying to trap mouse clicks on a record in a record list-list box
                When you click on a choice in a list, the variable associated with this list box takes that value. Then your code runs a specific script based on that value.

Example:
                case variable=A
                run this code
                variable=b
                run that code
                and so on.
                Last edited by G Gabriel; 11-17-2006, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Jeff,

I can certainly appreciate Tom's position as I felt compelled well before I read Tom's response to you that I would respond as follows:

Jeff, you post alot of requests for assistance on this board and your tenore in this post is snooty and postures entitlement.

I was hoping they (or anyone) would address this issue in a public manner so everyone would have access to the answer.
                  That's what this forum is all about. Your issue you seem to project as more important and deserving than others? Don't think so!

Stan, I wasn't generalizing... If you re-read the original post you'll see I actually said, "I need an OnClick event handler for a desktop app." Not merely a "desktop". Meaning, an "ALPHA 5 desktop application" as opposed to a web-based application.
                  I have 22 desktop applications, one of them is Alpha 5. I suggest YOU re-read what you wrote and Stan's reply and you SHOULD recognize he was on track and your not receiving what you needed is a direct consequence to the lack of clarity in your original post. Be sure that your condescention will alienate those that offer themselves openly.

The answer is yes, I have some ideas. But my offense to you ill-posturing makes me indisposed at this moment to share them.

Mike W
                  Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                    Jeff, it may be no great loss but I won't be responding to any more posts asking for specific responses from specific people. Wouldn't want to get in the way.

-- tom
                    Tom... You have been a great help to me. Thank you. I have much respect for you and all of the people that help me out. If it's offensive for me to direct a question towards the people that wrote the software I'll refrain from doing so. Your input is always appreciate and needed.

Comment

Stan sent you an email...

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                        Jeff:

When you click on a choice in a list, the variable associated with this list box takes that value. Then your code runs a specific script based on that value.

Example:
                        case variable=A
                        run this code
                        variable=b
                        run that code
                        and so on.
                        Thanks for your help. Where would your example statements be put? The OnChange event won't work in this case. I have some fields on my form that need to be updated each time the user selects a row in the listbox. The same script would execute each time. It uses the value of the item selected in the listbox to fetch the rest of the values for that particular record to be put into the fields on the form. Mabye I could use the onDepart event? Nope... OnClick would be devine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff@Listbrokers View Post
                          Thanks for your help. Where would your example statements be put? The OnChange event won't work in this case. I have some fields on my form that need to be updated each time the user selects a row in the listbox. The same script would execute each time. It uses the value of the item selected in the listbox to fetch the rest of the values for that particular record to be put into the fields on the form. Mabye I could use the onDepart event? Nope... OnClick would be devine.
                          How many entries are there in your listbox? If is a manageable number then possibly a set of radio buttons might be more appropriate. The radio buttons object should respond to the onchange event as they are clicked.

PS I did respond to your private message, quite lengthily, but I did so through my email notification of the message which means the reply went to never-never land. If Aaron can send it back to me I'll send it to you. Meanwhile, no hard feelings. I just feel that it is impossible to give too much info in a post, but it is easy to leave something out.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Where would your example statements be put
                            That depends on what interface you are using. If you have an xdlg, this part will go in the code section of the xdlg. If the object with the choices is based on a field, this would go in the OnChange event or the OnSave Event or any appropriate one , same if the object is based on a variable.

By the way, when I first read your question, I thought you are asking alpha to add an extra event to the object: OnSingleClick, similar to the OnDblClick event of a browse. I do not think that is necessary, since a single mouse click on an object is simillar to a key stroke and anything resullting from the choice you make with the mouse click can be used to run a subsequent code, but I certainly would like to see an OnSngleClick event for the browses. But that's another issue.

Comment

I think you meant...

Code:
                              select
                              case variable=A
                              run this code
                              case variable=b
                              run that code
                              and so on.

end select
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...