Alpha Video Training

Thread: TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET() problem

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Default TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET() problem

I have reproduced below the A5 documentation on the "TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET()" method. It refers to the related "<TBL>.RECORD_CONTENT_GET()" method which is quicker running and can be used when a pointer to the table concerned is already available.

The problem I have is that on trying to use the latter method I get an error message "... method not found".

The link to documentation on this method is broken, so I can't locate its details. But presumably the parameter syntax is slightly different because why would a table name need to be specified if there is a pointer to it already available? (That's a rhetorical question).

So what I would really like to know is this:

Q1: Does the method <TBL>.RECORD_CONTENT_GET() exist?

Q2: What is the correct parameter list syntax?

Hopefully then, the good folk at Alpha Software will be able to fix the documentation error.

The documentation I am using is the full .chm file dated 20 October 2006, the one that's about 37 MB in size.

Many thanks.

TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET()

Syntax
    ------
    String as C = TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET( Table_Name as C, Content_Expn as C [, Order_Expn as C [, Filter_Expn as C ]] )

Argument
    Description

Table_Name
    The table that contains the records you wish to retrieve.

Content_Expn
    An expression that processes the records that are selected and returns a character value.

Order_Expn
    Optional. Default = "" (record number order). A character order expression that sorts selected records.

Filter_Expn
    Optional. Default = All records. A character filter expression that evaluates to a logical value. Selects records from the table.

Description
    -----------
    The TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET() method creates a CR-LF delimited string of values from a table. The values in the string are obtained by evaluating the Content_Expn for each record in the table that satisfies the Filter_Expn. The order of the values in the string is specified by the Order_Expn.

This method is very useful if you have to populate an array with values from a table.

Note : When working with a table that is already open, <TBL>.RECORD_CONTENT_GET() is faster.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Re: TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET() problem

Brett, I think <tbl>.record_content_get() is a vers 8 method, but cannot explain why it's referenced in the current help file. -- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by brett s View Post
    I have reproduced below the A5 documentation on the "TABLE.EXTERNAL_RECORD_CONTENT_GET()" method. It refers to the related "<TBL>.RECORD_CONTENT_GET()" method which is quicker running and can be used when a pointer to the table concerned is already available.

The problem I have is that on trying to use the latter method I get an error message "... method not found".

The link to documentation on this method is broken, so I can't locate its details. But presumably the parameter syntax is slightly different because why would a table name need to be specified if there is a pointer to it already available? (That's a rhetorical question).

So what I would really like to know is this:

Q1: Does the method <TBL>.RECORD_CONTENT_GET() exist?

Q2: What is the correct parameter list syntax?

Hopefully then, the good folk at Alpha Software will be able to fix the documentation error.

The documentation I am using is the full .chm file dated 20 October 2006, the one that's about 37 MB in size.

Many thanks.
    You can easily discover whether this is a documentation error, or unavailable for the currently open version, by typing the following in the interactive editor.

tbl = table.open("somevalidtablename")
    ? tbl.

at which point the autocomplete feature should offer you some choices.

Since your posted syntax is not indicated in the "What's new in Version 8", I would assume this is a "to be developed" feature or an error.

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Ahhh..., of course. There's some v8 stuff in the current documentation and I had overlooked this possibility. I went back to my April documentation to check and yes, no reference there to <TBL>.RECORD_CONTENT_GET() . So you must be right. Many thanks, Tom.