Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

TABLE.FIELDNAME_CHANGE() Doesn't Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there;

I use the above function to change the name of a field in a table, but all it does is ENCRYPT ALL of the fieldnames. Much like the attached JPG file.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and / or come up with a solution?

I really need for this to work, any help would be appreciated!

awj

Re: TABLE.FIELDNAME_CHANGE() Doesn't Work

Andrew,

Works for me!

attached zip file, once unzipped, check out names table. Two fields name1 and name2.

Run the script on code tab - rename. two fields are now First_name and Last_name.

Comment

Hi Lance;

I'll look at your script tonight and try it. But at my end it was giving me garbled fieldnames in the entire table. Not sure why.

I'll let you know how this goes!

thx, awj :)

Originally posted by Lance Gurd View Post
      Andrew,

Works for me!

attached zip file, once unzipped, check out names table. Two fields name1 and name2.

Run the script on code tab - rename. two fields are now First_name and Last_name.

Comment

Well; I couldn't wait to try, I tried it here at the office, and no go. This time it didn't do anything at all. The fieldnames are still "name1" and "name2".

Now I'm totally confused.

awj

Originally posted by awj View Post
        Hi Lance;

I'll look at your script tonight and try it. But at my end it was giving me garbled fieldnames in the entire table. Not sure why.

I'll let you know how this goes!

thx, awj :)

Comment

Ok, my goof, yours worked now.

It was the drive letter I forgot to change in this case.

But it for sure didn't work on my app at home as I know it was the right drive & path etc.

I'll try again later.

awj

Comment

Andrew, you must change Lance's script so that the path to the table matches the physical path to your table on your machine. The path Lance furnished is the path to his table on his machine. It's very unlikely that your path and his path are identical. -- tom

Comment

Hi Tom;

I found that on his yes! But with my script at home, I double checked the paths etc, and I got it working once, and most of the time it just totally encrypts the fieldnames to jibberish. Not sure why.

awj

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
              Andrew, you must change Lance's script so that the path to the table matches the physical path to your table on your machine. The path Lance furnished is the path to his table on his machine. It's very unlikely that your path and his path are identical. -- tom

Comment

Hi there; Monday morning epiphany!

I finally discovered the problem. A bit of an oversight, but now it makes sense. When the tables are encrypted, you can't do anything with them, but when I decrypt them, then run the code - no problem!! That's it!!

awj

Comment

Good day All,

I have a same problem ,TABLE.FIELDNAME_CHANGE() Doesn't Work. I tried to change field name in xbasics but still showing old name

Comment

It does work if you use it properly. Show us your code.

Note that you must supply the full drive-path-tablename-extension as the first parameter.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

dim t as p
                      t = table.open(e.inputFilename)
                      t.batch_begin()
                      for i = 1 to count

if variable_exists("t.empl_id")= .F. then

table.fieldname_change(e.inputFilename, "badge_number", "empl_id")

end if
                      t.change_end(.t.)
                      t.fetch_next()

next i

Comment

Where should I start?

e.inputFilename - what is stored in this variable? It must be the full drive-path-tablename_extension, it can't be just the tablename.
                        count - where is this initialized ?
                        t.batch_begin() - this must be followed by t.batch_end() somewhere in the script.
                        t.change_end(.t.) - this must be preceeded by t.change_begin(.t.) somewhere in the script
                        table.open(e.inputFilename) - this should be followed by t.close() at the end of the script

There is no need to have the for I = 1 to count ...next I loop. If the fieldname is changed it only needs to be done once for the table, not for each record.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Try it this way, ensuring that you have the proper value in the f.inputfilename variable.

dim t as p
                          dim flds as C
                          t = table.open(e.inputFilename)
                          flds = t.field_name_get()
                          t.close()
                          if ("empl_id" !$ flds) = .F. then
                          table.fieldname_change(e.inputFilename, "badge_number", "empl_id")
                          end if
                          There can be only one.

Comment

i have modified the script like. Still its not working

dim t as p
                            t = table.open(e.inputFilename) '//e.inputFilename - the name of the temporary .dbf(C:\Users\sijif\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpEA74.dbf) table that my function will process

if variable_exists("t.empl_id")= .F. then
                            t.change_begin()
                            tname = t.filename_get()
                            t.fieldname_change(tname, "BADGE_NUMBER", "EMPL_ID")
                            t.change_end(.t.)
                            t.batch_end()
                            end if
                            t.close()

Comment

Hi Stan Mathews ,

Thank you so much for your help, Its working now

Comment

Working...
                              X