Alpha Video Training

Thread: Training Manager Database

Real Name
    Peter Weigand

Default Training Manager Database

Would like to create a database to manage employees training that let me know there have missed anual mandatory trainings or not active employed any more, most databases are very expensive for small employers to be QH approved, but for a workplace trainer and assessor to maintain records there are out of reach. Could anyone give me some pointers please, I am new to alpa 5 v7 and any help or advise is very appreciated. Thank you Peter.

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default Re: Training Manager Database

Peter,

First - welcome to Alpha Five.

Second - you posted in the area set aside for specific design questions/issues. You might get some suggestions here, but a better selection would be to post in the Alpha 5 V7 forum.

Third - You could take a look at some of the sample databases that ship with Alpha to get some ideas as to what can be done and how Alpha works. I would suggest that you start by making a pencil and paper list of what you want, being as specific as possible. What I'm saying here is if you can not quantify your needs/wants, you will get very frustrated very quickly.

There are many of us on the message board who make our living designing databases. If you feel that what you want is beyond your skill level or takes more time than you have, we are available.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    Stephany LInares

haw can I get in touch with you for some database help???? Can I send you a private message??? please answer me!!!

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Stephany,

You can send me a private message. Just click on my name (upper left of this note) and select private message. I'll reply as soon as I can.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Peter,

Please understand what Dave is saying. Knowing what you need and want the application to produce is necessary BEFORE you begin the design process. The design of a database is the very foundation of success with a database. Experience in this area is critical to effectively develop a robust application. You wrote that you are a small employer, and this precludes costly pre-built systems. Yes, absolutely! But don't rule out up front professional assistance to get you started in the right direction so you are not 'spitting in the wind'.

I am not a database professional, although I design and build databases for personal and my professional uses. Experience is key! It sounds as if your application is "mission critical" so I advise you to consider the idea of 'start well' and consider seeking a professional like Dave to get you started on the right road.

Mike W

Real Name
    Dave Mason

You may also search the prebuilt applications that can be used as written or re-done slightly to suit ou needs available on the alpha software sight. They are nominally priced at worst.

Dave Mason